Black Entertainment : Tyler Perry potraying black men as evil?

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by MsInterpret, Nov 11, 2010.

1. MsInterpret

MsInterpret Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,447
    For black men who have considered homicide after watching another Tyler Perry movie

By Courtland Milloy
    Washington Post Staff Writer

Can anyone name a movie that came out recently starring a black man who wasn't a sociopath? Someone who had a terrific screen presence, like a young Paul Robeson? And he portrayed a character who was complex and fully drawn? Did he respect black women, too?

Anybody see that movie? I didn't. But surely it's out there somewhere, right? An alternative to those Tyler Perry films portraying black men as Satan's gift to black women? But where is it?

Maybe I didn't hear about it because of all the buzz over Perry's "For Colored Girls," which opened Friday and is based on Ntozake Shange's 1975 stage play, "For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf."

Or maybe I didn't hear about it because I was retching too loudly after seeing "For Colored Girls" - and reading so many inexplicably glowing reviews.

"This movie is powerful," Demetria L. Lucas wrote recently in Essence, the nation's premier magazine for black women. "It is incredible. The performances in it are astonishing, but most of all, this film will leave you lifted."

Me, I thought the movie should have been renamed: "For Black Men Who Have Considered Homicide After Watching Another Perry Movie."

"Oscar buzz, breaking news," read the Hollywood Reporter on Friday. "Will 'For Colored Girls' blindside Tyler Perry's critics?"

Too late. I was blindsided while watching the movie, especially when superstar Janet Jackson appeared onscreen looking like Michael Jackson with breast implants.

"Don't laugh," says Shadow and Act, an online publication about black films and filmmakers. " 'For Colored Girls,' an Oscar contender?"

Oscar for what?

In the category for best infection of a black woman with a sexually transmitted disease that renders her infertile. . . . And the winner is: black man.

For best down-low, double-dealing husband who has sex with wife while sneaking around having sex with men on the streets. . . . And the winner is: black man.

READ MORE: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/07/AR2010110704428_2.html

VIDEO: http://live.washingtonpost.com/'for-colored-girls'-reaction.html?hpid=talkbox1

2. Bxblasta

Bxblasta Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +160
    No one should be suprised by the male bashing that goes on in "For Colored Girls" Hollywood is not here to uplift the black race, but instead has been entrusted with the responsibility of keeping the black man and black woman separated. I would not be suprised if the movie does get nominated for an Oscar, because thats what they do, which is glorify the negative, and shun positive movies like "The Great Debaters" "Antoine Fisher" and countless other positive black movies.

3. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    :fyi:Loved the Great Debaters

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    hummmm...... I don't think every movie he did send a negative message against men
    mostly some of the ones i have seen was base on the reality of life and what is going
    on in the world we may not see or talk about.

5. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    With 72 percent of our children born to unwed mothers, almost 70 percent of new HIV/AIDS infections are Black women, prominent preachers being accused of what most in our community have come to acknowledge as a problem (men on the DL), yet rather than fix these issues, we expect Hollywood to sweep this under the rug for us and present an unrealistically positive image rather than a mixture of "The Great Debaters" and "For Colored Girls".

Madea needs to shank that dude for talking smack about Janet.

6. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    for every negative story you highlight,there is a positive one. serana williams father molding his daugters to nbe champions,Lebron james parents, the millions of black hard working fathers and mothers who are good hearted. these perverse,negative movies rep the minority of blacks,no they should not be produced with the frequency they are. notice the same is not true for whites.

precious
    the clor purple.
    baby boy
    waiting to exhale
    etc,etc,etc, are vall cash cows,this is a method to makie white/jewish hoillywood big dollars.

7. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    for those who do not know, Perry wrote hill harpers part in,because he wanted to present a positive image of black males.

8. MsInterpret

Ratings:
    +5,447
    True...the black men in The Family that Preys the black men were portrayed as good men

9. Full Speed

Full Speed Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1,045
    I hear what you're saying and understand your sentiment, but the numbers just don't work out to support what you are saying. Clearly their are many good brothers, no doubt. But, with a 72% unwed childbirth rate, that's a lot of Brothers that are not there in their childs life on a day to day basis. So, maybe for ever 2.7 negative stories there is one positive. (in the case of unwed mothers having to be mother and father on most days).

Here is the problem with the negative/positive insomuch as Hollywood is concern. We aren't all that interested in positive stuff. Don't believe me? Start a tread on something good, positive, something we should all be proud of and excited about...see how much interest it gets...the thread will die out within the first or second page. Now throw something negative up....see if you don't get 20 pages of interest.

10. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,731
    :geek:.like many black women tyler hates black men