Law Forum : Two Videoed in Rape Found Guilty, More to Come

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Bottom line, a lot of stupidity all around

Yes, she was stupid; but her stupidity did not give them the right to sexually molest her or for others to mock her as a victim.

The boy, Michael Nodianos, was a freshmen at Ohio State Univ., a former student athlete of the same high school as the boys who raped her. He was not involved in the rape but made a video joking about it when he heard of it that night. So, he and his friends sat around making jokes. ---- And, no, that's not against the law; but it shows/displays the same lack of empathy, compassion, and morality that fueled the behavior of the boys who did rape her.

So, I have no pity that he had to leave Ohio State because of his "after-the-fact" stupidity.

Let this be a lesson to all parents to teach and instill in their children "right and wrong" and to speak/act out against wrong when they see it.

There is a lesson in this for the parents and children of this, ALL AROUND...... The ones at the party, the ones who did this, the ones who laughed/joked about it with their friends.

Unfortunately, after this horrific experience, the girl, herself, has learned her lesson about "stupidity" in the most graphic and humiliating way.

But, many of the others still don't get it, not the other children nor their parents.

Kemetstry

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Feb 19, 2001
Detroit
Occupation
Chemist
Yes, she was stupid; but her stupidity did not give them the right to sexually molest her or for others to mock her as a victim.

The boy, Michael Nodianos, was a freshmen at Ohio State Univ., a former student athlete of the same high school as the boys who raped her. He was not involved in the rape but made a video joking about it when he heard of it that night. So, he and his friends sat around making jokes. ---- And, no, that's not against the law; but it shows/displays the same lack of empathy, compassion, and morality that fueled the behavior of the boys who did rape her.

So, I have no pity that he had to leave Ohio State because of his "after-the-fact" stupidity.

Let this be a lesson to all parents to teach and instill in their children "right and wrong" and to speak/act out against wrong when they see it.

There is a lesson in this for the parents and children of this, ALL AROUND...... The ones at the party, the ones who did this, the ones who laughed/joked about it with their friends.

Unfortunately, after this horrific experience, the girl, herself, has learned her lesson about "stupidity" in the most graphic and humiliating way.

But, many of the others still don't get it, not the other children nor their parents.

That has more to do with age and group think. There are rumors that females were pressuring the girl not to press charges or testify.

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
That has more to do with age and group think.

There are rumors that females were pressuring the girl not to press charges or testify.
No, it isn't restricted to the teenagers.

The coach of the football team has almost been under attack for his failure to suspend the players who posted pictures/made comments about the rape on the night it happened. ---- Even the Principal of the high school and the Superintendent of the district did nothing because they both left it up to the coach to handle. ---- And since the coach didn't see fit to discipline any of the other players, OH WELL.

This whole case really kinda divided this small town.... Some people wanted the perpetrators punished AND the ones who were witnesses to it/took pictures, video.

And some others don't think they did anything wrong.

This is all a part of "Jock Culture." ---- When a society places more importance on athletics and athletes than on right and wrong, its a sad commentary, indeed.

When even other adults and parents dismiss and trivialize this kind of behavior as "Boys will be boys," this is further evidence of "Jock Culture."

So, no, you just can't chock it up to "age and group think."

This mindset has been demonstrated by many of the teenagers and many of the adults and parents in Steubenville, OH.

.....and then, you've also got the ones on the side of "victim-blaming" as well.

Some in this town also think/feel the girl is to blame because she shouldn't have gotten so drunk.

MimiBelle

Dec 13, 2010
Texas...for now.
Occupation
RN-BSN
'Stupidity all around'? Uh...no.
The girl's judgement was ridiculously poor. The actions of those males wasn't merely 'stupid'. It was disgusting, sociopathic and downright criminal.

This is about half the reason as to why why women don't report rape. Hell, who could blame them? They're dehumanized during the act and ripped to shreds when they actually seek help and justice.

Of course, it's always annoyed me that so many young females simply lack a self-protection instinct.
They're too trusting.
So...age and group-think? You've got a point...because this is something that usually happens to young females.
Older women know better than to get drunk around a bunch of males or entrust any male other than their family member, close friend or mate to safeguard their virtue when they're too inebriated to defend or speak up for themselves.

cherryblossom
I do not drink around men, for reasons already stated. They see a drunken girl and think it's a 'free for all'.
I don't say that every man is a closet rapist. In fact, I don't know what the hell I'm saying.
I'm just sure that it's pretty sexist. *laugh*
But...hell, KEMETSTRY alludes to it (by calling the victim 'stupid' for being passed out at a party). He's a male and has more of inkling than I would.
So I can't be too far off base.

Let's be honest, it's not like it's 'us women' who run around making jokes and singing songs about 'pulling trains' on other women.... That's male thing.
Until THAT aspect of 'male culture' is addressed? Things like this will continue to go on and people on the outside will continue to blame the victim, alone.

The message should be about more than 'Women...don't let yourself get raped'.
Why not also focus on those who commit the acts? Y'know...the rapists and those who can observe a female literally dragged to/fro by the limbs and actually believe that she's a willing participant...?
Since when could an incapacitated individual give consent?
It's called 'voyeurism'...hello?
Those weird little freaks who took the pics, sent the texts and took the videos are just as guilty.

Angela22

Feb 26, 2013
It has been often stated that more people stress, "Women, don't get raped!", than, "Men, don't rape women!" because of gender biases. Why teach your daughter not to place herself in a bad situation, and meanwhile tell your son he need get it anywhere he can get it? Why aren't people teaching their sons to respect a woman's body, even if she shows lack of respect toward herself?

Laughing at someone who's gone through this, even if one believes they set themselves up for it, is horrible to say the least; we shouldn't mock others when they are down, out, hurt, injured, nor in trouble or distress as any of us could be there; not in the exact situation, but when they're looking for some compassion and get none, they should remember when they were chuckling it up.

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Of course, it's always annoyed me that so many young females simply lack a self-protection instinct.
They're too trusting.
So...age and group-think? You've got a point...because this is something that usually happens to young females.

Older women know better than to get drunk around a bunch of males or entrust any male other than their family member, close friend or mate to safeguard their virtue when they're too inebriated to defend or speak up for themselves. ...

Well, Sister, what Kemetstry meant by "age and group think" was referencing the mindset and attitudes of ALL the teenagers involved, directly/indirectly, or with knowledge of this rape.... the boys who did it, those who witnessed it, the ones who heard about it and sent further text messages to their friends, the ones who even made a video joking about it and even the other girls who heard about it.

However, my point to Kem was about how this entire mindset is not restricted to this age group but to adults as well. ---- "Jock Culture" is a manifestation of a psychological mindset that excuses and minimizes the behaviors of athletes for the sake of the sport, football/basketball...

In this town, many of the children, the parents, and other adults were guilty of "Jock Culture" when this happened and still are.

However, no, it isn't "usually young females" that this happens to. Many older women have experienced the same or worse involving alcohol.

Alcohol affects one's inhibitions. So, even many adult women and men will engage in behavior they wouldn't normally do, not just sexually but otherwise as well. (This is mainly why you can't go get a tattoo while drunk any more. lol) Many men and women have gotten tattoos after a night of drinking and then regretted it in the light of sober day.

Moreover, by the time the girl and her parents found out about what happened, it was too late for a rape kit or a toxicology test to determine if she'd been possibly drugged as well.

But, as for drinking and bad judgement calls, many so-called adult men and women still drink to excess, not knowing when to say "when," and engage in irresponsible behavior, be it going off with strangers to driving a vehicle under the influence.

jamesfrmphilly

going above and beyond
PREMIUM MEMBER
Jun 18, 2004
north philly ghetto
Occupation
retired computer geek
IMO : i blame the adults more than the children although the children do not get a pass. this is systemic failure.
"jock culture" is a bad joke. bread and circuses, $35 million dollar slaves.

when will somebody wake up?

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
IMO : i blame the adults more than the children although the children do not get a pass. this is systemic failure.
"jock culture" is a bad joke. bread and circuses, $35 million dollar slaves.

when will somebody wake up?
Yes, indeed.

I had to re-think my feelings about Ray Lewis as well..... Because I don't follow football, at first, I wasn't aware of all the legal, financial and moral ties connected to his possible involvement and/or knowledge of the deaths of those 2 young men.

But, after the Super Bowl, I learned more about the case being in the media again. I couldn't cheer with him/for him any more.

Plus, his comments about God and the incident made me smh.

At first, I supported him out of my ignorance; but now, I can't uplift him over the grief and injustice done to those 2 families.

And for all those who revere Ray Lewis, IMO, they are also guilty of "Jock Culture." ---- Far too often, as a society, we're not holding athletes accountable for their actions/behaviors.

When regular citizens.... just your everyday "Joe" commits crimes, we want them punished to the "full extent of the law."

But, how sickening to see some of us look the other way, sweep it under the rug when a high school/college/or Pro football or basketball player does the same or worse.

cherryblossom

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
yeah, bro ray do be wrapping himself all up in the bible, do he not?
Yeah, I didn't see it at first because I didn't know much about that murder case.

But, I had to smh when Ray said:

"It’s simple," Lewis said when Sharpe asked him what he would say to the families.
"God has never made a mistake. That’s just who He is, you see. ... To the family, if you knew, if you really knew the way God works, he don’t use people who commits anything like that for His glory. No way. It’s the total opposite."

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/ray-lewis-addresses-families-two-slain-men-2000-224326545--nfl.html
I tell ya, when I read that, I was speechless.

Somebody needs to tell Ray that, yes, God DOES use such people to His Glory.

Ray musta skipped those parts of the Bible about MOSES, DAVID and PAUL.... all of whom killed others or caused their deaths.

So, after I read that, I wasn't on the "Ray Lewis cheer-leading team" any more.

I don't know what Bible Ray is reading but mine tells me that God used sinners to do His Will and to His Glory many times in the Bible.

I don't know what Ray's Bible says about REPENTANCE.

I just know what mine says.

Consciousness Raising Online!

Allow the N Word - yes or no?

• yes

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 42.9%

Latest profile posts

"And I'm feeling good."-Nina Simone
Destee wrote on Angela22's profile.
Hi Sweetie Pie Honey Bunch!!!! ... :dance4: ... Welcome Home! So good to have your sweet Spirit in the house! ... YAAAAAAY USSSSS! ... :yaay: :yaay: :swings: ... :heart:
Angela22 wrote on Enki's profile.
I hope all is well with you. Much love.:love:
Destee wrote on Charles Thompson's profile.
Hi Chuck ... is that you?!!! ... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!! ... :yaay: ... I sure hope so! I have thought of you often! If it is not you, sorry for writing on your profile page @Charles Thompson and Welcome! ... :wave:
Destee wrote on MANASIAC's profile.
WooooHoooo!!! ... :yaay: :yaay: :yaay: .... Welcome Home! ... :wave: ... :heart: