Black People Politics : Two Prominent Black Intellectuals Just Delivered More Bad News for Clinton

Liberty

BANNED
Aug 28, 2015
ap_59920961032.jpg

After a crushing loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday night, Hillary Clinton may be having an even worse morning. As her campaign turns to South Carolina, where she hopes to win the primary with the support of African American voters on February 27, two prominent black intellectuals issued forceful statements Wednesday morning that could boost her rival, Bernie Sanders.

"I will be voting for Sen. Sanders," Ta-Nehisi Coates, a correspondent for The Atlantic and the author of the 2015 National Book Award winner Between the World and Me, said Wednesday in an
interview on Democracy Now! Coates has written critically of Sanders recently for not embracing reparations for African Americans as part of his economic and social justice platform.

A much stronger rebuke of Clinton came from Michelle Alexander, the author of The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, who blasted the former secretary of state in an
essay published Wednesday on the website of The Nation titled "Why Hillary Clinton Doesn't Deserve the Black Vote." In it, Alexander argued that the economic and criminal justice policies of the Bill Clinton administration, from the 1994 crime bill to welfare reform in 1996, were devastating to African Americans—and that Hillary Clinton was a force in that administration whose role should be scrutinized and whose current positions on criminal justice and racial equality are not strong enough.

Read more

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/201...ck-intellectuals-just-came-out-bernie-sanders

I knew about Michelle, but Coates is :new: fresh off the press:):

https://destee.com/threads/heres-wh...wice-before-voting-for-hillary-clinton.85587/

ap_59920961032.jpg

After a crushing loss in New Hampshire on Tuesday night, Hillary Clinton may be having an even worse morning. As her campaign turns to South Carolina, where she hopes to win the primary with the support of African American voters on February 27, two prominent black intellectuals issued forceful statements Wednesday morning that could boost her rival, Bernie Sanders.

"I will be voting for Sen. Sanders," Ta-Nehisi Coates, a correspondent for The Atlantic and the author of the 2015 National Book Award winner Between the World and Me, said Wednesday in an
interview on Democracy Now! Coates has written critically of Sanders recently for not embracing reparations for African Americans as part of his economic and social justice platform.

A much stronger rebuke of Clinton came from Michelle Alexander, the author of The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness, who blasted the former secretary of state in an
essay published Wednesday on the website of The Nation titled "Why Hillary Clinton Doesn't Deserve the Black Vote." In it, Alexander argued that the economic and criminal justice policies of the Bill Clinton administration, from the 1994 crime bill to welfare reform in 1996, were devastating to African Americans—and that Hillary Clinton was a force in that administration whose role should be scrutinized and whose current positions on criminal justice and racial equality are not strong enough.

Read more

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/201...ck-intellectuals-just-came-out-bernie-sanders

Yes, and Coates critiqued Sanders thoroughly, so his endorsement doesn't come willy-nilly. I have come to enjoy his political analyses.

This article also mentions Cornel West and
Al Sheraton. I don't know if they are even relevant anymore, though...

Right, Right ... But of course, Al Sharpton and Cornell are both still relevant. West is on the campaign trail for Bernie and Al interviewed him today ... The fireworks are about to begin for the Black Vote ... And Ben Jealous now supports Bernie.

Can Bernie Bash Obama’s Record and Still Win Black Votes?

Sanders never calls the president out by name, but the Vermont senator’s words and actions demonstrate that he’s running against Obama’s economic legacy.

500417646-democratic-presidential-candidate-sen-bernie-sanders.jpg.CROP.rtstory-large.jpg

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) speaks while flanked by African-American religious and civic leaders after a meeting at the Freddie Gray Youth Empowerment Center on Dec. 8, 2015, in Baltimore.

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) has been out on the campaign trail for months, loudly telling voters about all the not-so-hot aspects of the current state of the U.S. economy—an economy that the Obama administration
has touted as strong.

Going against the administration's many claims of an economic comeback, Sanders is calling the country's economic system "rigged" and plagued by poverty, all the while claiming that a Sanders presidency would be a "course correction."

Yes, Sanders dings the GOP along the way, but day after day on the stump, he's spotlighting a litany of depressing statistics on U.S. poverty, high black youth unemployment, income inequality and unaffordable higher education.

These are not the talking points of the Obama administration.

Read more

http://www.theroot.com/articles/pol...obama_s_record_and_still_win_black_votes.html

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back