Black People : Twix Commercial Offensive?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by karmashines, Mar 3, 2005.

1. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    I'm sure that everyone knows the one that I'm talking about where the black guy is sitting on the couch eating some Twix and his girlfriend, wearing very tight pants, bends over and says, "Do I look fat in these?" The camera gets all up in her behind which is supposed to be so 'big', (though it looks to be an average size for an African American woman). The guy is afraid to say anything so he stuffs Twix down his throat, after which the woman says, "Thank you," and "Love you," and struts away.

Anyway, at first I thought this commercial was funny, but then... I don't know. I wonder if it is promoting the Eurocentric view that only the skinny, 110-pound waif-like frame is an acceptable size for women. It is also unrealistic, because most black men LIKE women that were like her with a voluptuous figure. Now, if it was someone like Monique or Queen Latifah saying "Do I look fat in these," it would be a different story.

So what are your thoughts on this? Is it just a silly commercial, or is it white culture subconsciously or maybe consciously spewing out its stereotypical views against black women? Opinions from both men and women are welcome.

2. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
  3. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137
    WOOP!! WOOP!! Pull over dat @$$ too phat!!

I thought the commercial was funny also. And yes I am one of those men who likes women like that. :) There is no denying that black women have ample backsides. I believe this commercial is about the men rather than the women. I see it like this, here's a man with a dilemma: his woman asks if the pants she's wearing makes her look fat. The spoof is there is no right answer for this question. Even if his says yes but in a good way he will still be wrong because no descent, self-respecting woman believes there is a good way to be fat. Also no matter how good a woman's endowed rump looks she still doesn't like for her butt to attract attention. No woman want's people constantly staring at her butt in a good or bad way. If the man says no he would be lying and she would know it. Then he would be a liar. No man want's to be a liar to his woman. So the guy comes up with the idea to garble out the answer while eating thus never really answering the question but giving the illusion that he approves of her new look. The guy, like most men really doesn't care as long as she is not too revealing. No hidden racist in that commercial.

4. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Ummmm...No decent (?) or self respecting (?) woman
    believes there is a good way to be fat and doesn't like for her voluptuous @ss to attract attention ???

Okay... you're kidding...right ??? :look:

Actually I like the commercial; I think it's cute ! Fortunately though, being quite voluptuous myself and having a wonderful husband who appreciates my rather zaftig physique, If my man was posed with the same question his response would be a lusty : "Yessss...fat, juicy, and delectable !!!" :grin:

Much
    Love
    Akilah :blush: *giggles*

5. Radical Faith

Radical Faith Well-Known Member MEMBER

Operations Manager
    Ratings:
    +137

Okay sister there's a difference between voluptuous or curvacious and fat. Sure a woman a want's to be seen as sexy and desireable but not an oddity. In other words too much of something is not a good thing. Personally the sister that did that commercial has it going on in my opinion. That just me though.

Peace

Radical Faith

6. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    Okay... :haha: smh... why fat gurls gotta be an "oddity" ???

Nebba mind... been there done that discussion already on another thread... :uhoh:

Peace :peace: