Black People : Tsunami - race, color and caste

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Sun Ship, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    Not trying to make light of the recent Tsunami disaster, but it is amazing how powerful race, color and caste is in the world, that even under most challenging circumstances some things will always be the same.

I hope this article which is in the web page link below, will prove last and for all that there is nothing between heaven and earth that will destroy racism in the world

Remember the caste system of India was originally formed based on color (varna), with the darkest aboriginals of India at the bottom (i.e., dalits, untouchables)

'Untouchables' gather tsunami dead'

Peace,

Brother Sun :cool:

2. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    This doesn't surprise me one bit. India and Sri Lanka are still steeped in caste society tradition. They need to be ashamed of themselves, but we all know that they don't have that conciousness. althought many hindus claim to be so enlightened

Another things is, Indonesia, with one of the largest Muslim populations in the worlds, has gotten almost no help from the Rich arab emirates. But I'm not suprsised, these very same muslims turn a blind eye to the Genocide and slavery in the Sudan

3. indya

indya Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
  4. Sun Ship

Sun Ship Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +39
    injustice can be found anywhere...

Those were eye-opening links Sister indya. I’m not surprised at what is described as a caste system in several African countries. Race, color and caste have plagued the world for centuries. And as progressive African people, we must identify and deconstruct these systems wherever they are.

Capitalism has created social caste systems among African Americans right here in the U.S. and remember it wasn’t long ago that light-skinned African Americans segregated themselves into exclusive social circles, and as quiet as it’s kept, some of this still exist. I was really making the point that color, race and caste can be so powerful that even something with the magnitude and devastating power of this recent Tsunami can’t undo the injustice that one man places upon another.

I think the case of the Dalits of India should be interesting to African Americans, because it show that institutionalized and systemic racism can last for centuries. For the color-based discriminating system of India, can be historically dated to at least 1500-1200BC and reached its barbaric zenith around 500BC.

Thanks again for the link.

Brother Sun Ship

5. indya

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    Sunship,

You are very welcome for the link!

6. CarrieMonet

CarrieMonet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Love my job!
    Ratings:
    +15
    Very Very interesting Indya!

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Definition

"In any heterogeneous society, the population is normally subdivided into layers. This stratification makes for clear distinctions of status or social class. Societies with ‘slave’ culture would reduce some of their citizens to a sub-human status. This allows for, and in many ways encourages ethnocentrism, and hate. By definition, ethnocentrism is the feeling that is characterized by or based on the attitude that one’s own group is superior."

Yes, caste exists in every society, including this one - the one in which we live... Therefore, there is no need to be reaching across continents to find evidence of caste in Africa, Asia, or Europe... In fact, right there in the city where you claim residence Indya, caste and class was and remains endemic...

The city of New Orleans is where Homer Plessy was taken off that train in 1894, and his case became the basis of the statutory segregation of our ancestors called "Separate But Equal." Yes, Jim Crow segregation may have been practiced all over the country, but it was the Plessy V Ferguson case out of N.O., Louisiana that made it the law of the land...

SunShip was pointing out something real and visceral and ugly; something happening in real time, now... And you must go off into making apologies for it by pointing out that it takes place in Africa... Is Africa the scene of mass death and destruction at this moment in time, Indya??? No, it is not, and thus to judge its caste system in this context is to run away from the reality that people in Sri Lanka and Indonesia are not free from being treated according to their caste and class even in a time of cataclysmic destruction... Granted, that may be the human condition, but never did you point out that as the context for your posting the article in which you posted... Indya, what is the context for the article that you posted, as there is no paralell state of affairs extant in Nigeria at this moment in time??? Tell us why you chose to go where you did with this, other than to, once again, dump some dirt on Africa and people of African descent???

Peace!
    Isaiah

8. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I'm starting to wonder if she has issues with black folks in general. If I'm not mistaken she mentioned something about being colorblind in another thread.

9. indya

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    The reason I brought this to our attention is not to throw dirt on Africans but to remind all of us, that believe it or not, EVERYONE has good and bad in them as a society. A large number of the post only show one side. Is it bad to show the other side? I always try to see the whole picture in life, and yes Isaiah that means the evil and bad that goes with it.

There are a number of people on the forum that like to always point fingers and say WE never do that, when infact they are just looking through rose colored glasses.

Does this make me an evil person Isaiah? I dont think so, Like I said I like to have the whole story!! I am not the one who started this thread, brother Sunship brought to our attention the plight of the "untouchables" and also brought to ths forum the fact that it was origanlay started on skin color. I would like to add that the Hindus were the original "untouchables" they were also predominatly black. What I was trying to point out was that it is a problem not only for the whites or other ethnicities. IT AFFECTS ALL OF US. Untill we acknowledge the fact that everyone has problems we will never get anywhere!!

10. indya

United States
    Ratings:
    +23
    Why would I have issues with blacks??? Because I happen to disagree with certain people doesn't mean I have issues, it means we disagree. Do I try to judge people as individuals instead of making generalizations, YES and proud of it.