Black Spirituality Religion : Trying to find an Akan spiritual community in the South

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by imhotep06, Jan 9, 2007.

1. imhotep06

imhotep06 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Web Applications Developer
    Ratings:
    +106
    Peace Pham

I am trying to find an Akan spiritual community in the South. I am located in Houston, TX and I know most of the Akan communities are in Philly, New York and DC. But trying to get in contact with them has been a futile attempt. The information on their respective websites are outdated. Is there anyone here who can put me in contact with someone in the community? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hotep

2. nibs

nibs Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22
    dr kamau kambon has an akan connection, and organizes trips to ghana to participate in akan festivals. he's in north carolina (not quite your south); and probably in ghana right now.

http://www.blacknificent.com/ghanatrip/index.htm

connecting with them is probably a good starting point, as he must be connected with the akan all over the nation, as he organizes that sankofa journey...

3. imhotep06

imhotep06 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Web Applications Developer
    Ratings:
    +106
    Thanks for the reply. This helps alot. I assume he is gone so I will try later on this month. In Houston it is a big Ifa community, but not an Akan.

4. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    This is remarkable because I just found out about the Akan today while looking for information about Egungun dancers.

What would it take to organize such communities in the south? I'm in Northeast Texas and this little one-horse town is like the buckle of the Bible belt. If there are any people here looking for Afrocentric spiritual alternatives, like me, they're being very quiet about it.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Sister River,

Where in Northeast Texas are you? I'm originally from Shreveport, Louisiana and we have a local "village" there which is an eclectic mix of Kemetic subscribers, holistic health practitioners, Ab'orisa, community builders and more. There is a Sankofa community garden located there at the "village". Shreveport is about 15 minutes from the Texas-Louisiana border and is the metropolitian hub of the 4 state area known as the Ark-La-Tex. In order the connect with those people, my family, you can visit Nubian Express bookstore on Linwood Dr. in Shreveport. Ask for either Iya Oriade or Mama Charlene. I will be moving back home in about 2 years with more ideas to implement for our region.

In terms of Egbe Egungun. In Dallas, Tx, there is a local egbe there. It was the place where I was introduced to Ifa and the egungun society. The egbe is called Egbe Eegunjobi. Iya Sobande is the Iyamode. Baba Ifaomi was the chief of the egbe when I was in contact with them.

If you visit Nubian Express, just inform them Omari sent you. They will take care of you from there.

Blackbird (shapeshifter of the night, dancing in front of the orisa and the egun)

6. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thank you for this. Im in Dallas area and am aware of AAS and a Nigerian community here and in Houston, but not aware of an Akan community. Perhaps I will ask a Ghanaian brother I know who works at a locl 7/11.

I will check the store in Shreveport on my next visit. That is closer than the POOCC bookstore in Atlanta, GA.

I have an uncle moving near Texarkana and when he's this way I try to spend some time in Shreveport as well.

In fact, now that I think about it, my postman is from Ghana also...

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Well-Known Member MEMBER

Professional Hitman
    Ratings:
    +1,820
    Brother Omowale X,

Shreveport has a budding community. It's not that solidified as some larger areas, but because it is an intimate group, we are close knit and passionate about establishing the village concept. I am currently in Las Vegas and haven't been home in some time. However, I try to keep in contact to be intune with the feel.

In regards to Ghanaians, I hope you won't be disappointed. I'm married to a Ghanaian and her family is so Christian and British trained, it's pathetic. My wife is slowly coming to accept the validity of her own ancestral traditions, although it is virtually unknown to her. Her parents and other family members are against anything not associated with Jesus Christ and his theology. They refer to their ancestral beliefs as "occultism" and viewed it with skepticism. Most Ghanaians I meet make AA Christians seem like heretics. My wife's family are Asante and Fante, but they don't even know the various Adinkra symbols, their names or their meanings. They say the Adinkra are not important in Ghana and AAs just hype them up beyond their value. We are "obruni" and they think its curious that AAs would be interested in traditional beliefs that they could care less about. My wife's family after finding out I follow the orisa tried to convert me to Christianity or just don't fool with me unless they have to. They think we are playing to be African because we don't know who we really are. Of course, this may not be universal, but it has been indicative of my experience. I was deeply sadden and disappointed. Europeans have really did a number on African people worldwide.

Blackbird

8. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42

Brother, believe me, I know what you're talking about. Remember, I'm in Dallas (actually north, in Little Elm) and the Africans I have met so far, are Christian.

This is T,D, JAKES/Potter's House country, and the Black folk here are basically conservative, Christina, church-going, "establishment Negro" types, for the most part.

But at least they do have fairly large Kwanzza and Harambee festivals which indicates some African consciousness....even if its openly displayed only a few times a year.

We have family in Shreveport and when my uncle moves here in a few months I will be working my way over more to check out the Village.

9. river

river Watch Her Flow MEMBER

United States
    Author
    Ratings:
    +1,290
    Wow brotha Blackbird

Dallas is two hours west of here. If I could find somebody with a car I would pay them. Gee if brotha Omo needed some cash I would pay him to pick me up.:D It's mad kewl to be so close to a Destee member.

I feel you on the Christian thing. But more people are waking up to the truth than care to come out and say so because of the social and financial pressures.

It's hard when salvation is based on faith because even thinking that it might not be true is seen as dangerous. They have no room to even think. The question I asked myself is I've got this book that somebody wrote and told me is from God and the book is telling me not to trust the mind that I know is from the Creator without anyone having to tell me. So where do I put my trust?

The thing is my mindd has been programmed by the same people who gave me the book so I must winnow through the programs to find what is really from the Creator.. That requires a lot of work and I think Christians, for the most part. find it easier to just be spoonfed doctrines from the pulpit than to go that deeply into a place they've never visited. Knowamsane?

10. AaronLeeScribe

AaronLeeScribe New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0

Peace Bro Blackbird,

I've been trying to find Baba Ifaomi since moving back from Shreveport. Do you know where he is currently? I haven't spoken to him since 2003. I was googling him and came across his name here and figured I'd try my luck in finding him here.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. akan religion atlanta

2. Iyamode Sobande