Black People : Truth

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Mikha'el, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Mikha'el

Mikha'el Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    OK so at my university I'm taking a class on critical thinking....And recently we talked about truth....the class all watched a video in which people were asked about truth and whether many of them believed in absolute truth....many of these people were unable to answer this question as many of them never thought about it. I was suprised at the inability of these people to think critically. But my question is do any of you people believe in absolute truth

I personally believe in both absolute and relevant truth even though it defies the law of contradiction (the idea that an idea cant be true and false at the same time in the same way) for two reasons

One i believe in God and his word as being absolute truth. God's word hasnt changed since it was written and never will.

Two - As humans we all think as individuals (or at least supposed to) with this in mind despite the prescene of absolute truth we are inclined to create our own "truth" as we see it.

Discuss

2. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i used to believe. now i'm not so sure anymore.

3. Mikha'el

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    Explain

4. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    is there an absolute reality or is reality generated by our minds?
    if something happens and you are not aware of it, is it real to you?

5. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    rashomon

The film depicts the rape of a woman and the murder of her samurai husband, through the widely differing accounts of four witnesses, including the bandit/rapist, the wife, the dead man speaking through a medium (Fumiko Honma), and lastly the narrator, the one witness that seems the most objective and least biased. While the stories are mutually contradictory only the final version is unmotivated by other factors. Accepting the final version as the truth (the now common technique of film and TV of only explaining the truth last was not a universal approach at that time) explains why in each other version "the truth" was worse than admitting to the killing, and it is precisely this assessment which gives the film its power, and this theme which is echoed in other works.

The story unfolds in flashback as the four characters—the bandit Tajōmaru (Toshirō Mifune), the samurai's wife (Machiko Kyō), the murdered samurai (Masayuki Mori), and the nameless woodcutter (Takashi Shimura)—recount the events of one afternoon in a grove. The first three versions are told by the priest (Minoru Chiaki), who was present at the trial as a witness, having bumped into the couple on the road just prior to the events. Each of these versions has a response of "lies" from the woodcutter. The final version comes direct from the woodcutter, as the only witness (but he did not admit this to the court). All versions are told to a ribald commoner (Kichijiro Ueda) as they wait out a rainstorm in a ruined gatehouse identified by a sign as Rashōmon.

6. Mikha'el

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    I believe in absolute reality...if there is absolute truths there are absolute realities

N even if something happens n we arent aware its still real because it happened

7. jamesfrmphilly

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,733
    i used to think like that. now i'm not sure.

8. Mikha'el

United States
    Student
    Ratings:
    +246
    I believe in absolute reality because i believe in absolute truth...whether truth or lies there is reality whether its absolute reality or not is depending on the person

example

My last relationship if it can be said on account of we never we an offical couple was for nearly 2 years....during this time there was a "truth" and "reality" in our minds that we were honestly happy within ourselves and our relationship...however that wasn't the case...our alleged happiness was based on our perception....we thought we were truly happy n deemed it true when it fact we weren't...the only absolute truths in our relationship was the fact that God was at the center of it, God used our relationship to help us grow as individuals in his word and essence and that we truly weren't happy.

Hope this helps a little

9. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    You asked if there is such a thing as "absolute truth"? I say "absolute truth" is akin to "temperature",with temperature, there is always one degree hotter or one degree colder. My point is that absolute truth has gradients, and there will always be something that is one degree truer,one degree falser. You've heard the saying that "truth is in the eye of the beholder", I think it can be argued quite successfully that there are indeed, absolute truths.

Would you agree with me that it is unequivocally an absolute truth that at the time of me writing this post that I was breathing while entering these words and my argument onto Destess.com? Isn't it also inarguable that I am seeing the words on my monitor with my eyes while I'm inputting the data, and that you are seeing them as you read them? These are truths, are they not?

Absolutely.:)

Peace!

10. Enki

Enki The Evolved Amphibian STAFF

United States
    Civil Eng.
    Ratings:
    +5,928
    You are not sure of an absolute truth,not one truth, but the absolute truth that you are reading this response to your comment?

Peace!