Black People : True Colors - Racial Discrimination in Everyday Life

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by oldsoul, Oct 4, 2011.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    True Colors - Racial Discrimination in Everyday Life

Documentary on the "nature of today's prejudices." Follows two men (equal in all measurable aspects, except skin color) as they participate in a variety of "everyday" life interactions and situations to test levels of prejudice based on skin colors. Shows how two young men in St. Louis, one white, one black, but otherwise similar in background, appearance, etc., are treated differently in various situations as they go about shopping, applying for work, and looking for rental housing.

Video raises the question of the relation between discrimination in everyday social exchanges and what sociology calls "structural racism," the systematic exclusion of people of color from full access to social resources. (Originally aired in 1991 but still very true today).

2. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    I haven't had any discrimination episodes as bad as my parents, but it could be I am not paying attention.

One that stands out in my mind:

I went to an up-scale men's clothing store. The salesperson introduced himself. No problem there.

He showed me several coats which I selected several.

When I got to the counter, he asked if I was placing these in lay-a-way.

I informed him that he is mistaken. I am buying these today.
    (Careful, son! You might leap to the conclusion of losing the sale .... hahahahaha)

He asked for my address. I declined offering such. He asked why. I told him I'm not interested in my mailbox being spammed with advertisements. I gave an e-mail address instead.

Paid for everything with my Visa Signature card :).

I wasn't dressed the greatest that day, but don't jump to conclusions ....

There were other instances when I present my credit card, they would ask for another form of ID when others were not.

One salesperson asked how did I get a Platinum Card, but I don't think he meant anything by it. He was pretty cool.

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    This what we go through daily , I see it happen often in the public/ at work
    again i say we are labled and society looks at us much differently under a
    racial eye .