Black People : True Black Power

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Big Youth, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Big Youth

Big Youth New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking back on the L.A riots, and the reactions to the Rodey King trials, it is clear to see that the black community, although reffered to as a minority, showed an amazing amount of rage, and power. Expressing decades of pent up rage against the imperial white man. I was contemplating the events, when I relaized, that all of these petty issues facing the black community, and all of the major ones, such a sdrugs, alchohol abuse, and Black on Black killing, which I refer to as 'Genocide' ( It really is a shame), that if we were to put the kind of effort into our recovery, and healing of those issues, that we did in the riots, that our community could really make an even better change for ourselves. Can some one please tell me why we don't do it? Why we shoot at each other, but not at government buildings? Why we hate eacher, and ourselves? Th issues that the black community has been faced with, are the same ones as those from he 60's, and 80's and 90's. Police abuseing authority, poverty, war on drugs. What is the deal? Where is the Black power thatwe once held to be such a strong belief, or way of life. We used to rally, and have our fists in the air, a strong revolutionary image, a people of extreme love for one anotjer, yet fully capable of fighting for what is right? Why has our community abandoned such stances?

2. Bongani

Bongani New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Sawubona (Hello in Zulu),

I am a new subscriber and I could not help but respond to your question about the real black power. I believe the answer to your question about what happened to the revolutionary spirit of activism and change that was apparent in the 60 and 70's has much to with integration and the cointelpro activity of the 60's. Many of the Black organization and leaders who were the cornerstone of the movement fell victim to the Counter Intelligence Program of the FBI known as Cointelpro. Cointelpro was directly and indirectly responsible for the murder of Black leadership and the disruption and distruction of several important Black organziation such as the Black Panther Party for instance.

I also feel that integration had a major impact as well. Many of our leadership was disillusioned into thinking that once the barriers of segregation were lifted that We would be free. Obviously, this was not the case.

Lastly, you mentioned why we tend to kill ourselves and misdirect our anger and frustration about white supremacy toward each other has a lot to do with the slave mentality that still exists in the minds of many of our people. Dr. Amos Wilson wrote an excellent book called Black on Black Violence that answered this questions. He believes that the self-distructive tendency in the Black personality has a social, economic, and political benefit to those who are in power. This consciousness was imposed on African people as a way to never allow the slave to strike out against the master. Instead, all anger and frustration must be channeled against the self

3. Big Youth

Big Youth New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    True, but still, is a goal of the revolution not to " Organize?" Do you think, that in this day, it's still possible to start, and execute a revolution, or has Amerikkkan ignorance finally taken it's toll on us.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I don't think it's taken any more toll on the black
    communities then it did in the yesteryears we today
    have fallen into the myth of it we are on a rise with
    great leaders taking back areas of communities
    standing up for better rights it will now be our very own
    vioces to step out into the battle we face and the struggles
    of our own to bring unity and peace
    by teaching and leading a way i totally agree with sawubona
    comment which say much
    we are empowered by our own strong hold
    by freeing the mind and working the mental to hope
    that we can over come what has been going on for years
    through the years so many have lost the way and meanings
    of our struggle and the life of our anscestors before us
    becoming more wide spread in foolishness that lead to
    killings

5. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    Organize?"
    work together not apart would be a great start...
    but everyone wants to lead...whats to make a name for thyself...
    until learning to work together (since we work for the same cause..)
    unity together will not come to a whole...how could it..jealousy and fame
    is the greed...

but this just my view on it...

yall dont beat me up to bad...

6. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually Mzblkangel, you made a very strong point. The problem with our leadership (although it is true that if WE do the leading, the leaders will follow) is that most leaders are "hating" on each other, and most groups of our people are hating on certain leaders. I have great respect for leaders such as Min. Farrakahn (he refuses to scrap with other Brothers for yt's viewing pleasure), Rev. Sharpton, Rabbi Ben Ami, and any other Ebony leader who is sincerily standing for our advancement and redemption.

The other main reason we cannot seem to stop fighting one another and start fighting the true enemy is that most of our people still have their blinders on to who the real enemy is. Racism is not for the most part blatant these days. It is difficult to see concretely precisely who and what it is that is crushing us. Instead, we see what is immediately around us, which is a brother pushing drugs to another brother or "hating" on another brother or a sister hating on another sister, etc. We can see each other better and we have greater access to one another than to the machine and its operators. This explains why some are beaten up all day outside of home by racism & white supremacists, then go home and beat up their mate and/or children and/or blood relatives.

7. uzoka

uzoka Well-Known Member MEMBER

writer
    Ratings:
    +8
    :argue:

Mzblkangel!

This statement hit me like a Tyson punch, powerful!
    Exactly correct and the reason why when blacks have had the chance to make that last sprint for true freedom in every sense of the word, they've hit a brick wall, a wall built by their own people.

My favourite day dream is what would have happened if all those black people who fought Marcus Garvey - and alerted white people to his activities - what would have happened if they worked with him, what would've happened to not just Black Star but black confidence, pride, education and all those other factors that go toward creating successful human beings, companies, organizations etc.

If blacks had all supported and continued to support his work, no doubt Black Star would have been up there with the biggest shipping companies in the world, the likes of P&O Nedlloyd Ltd.

Good observations Nia and Mzblkangel, if only we could stop fighting ourselves, like a dog chasing its own tail and keep our eyes focused soley on the author rather than the characters; Europeans.

Personally, I couldn't careless who leads as long as they are African or part African descended, are for blacks worldwide and only for them, are incorruptible and know what they are doing and do it well.

Peace.... :toast:

8. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    And my favourite daydream is what would have happened if all those foolish black people who fought Marcus, Malcolm, Denmark, Gabriel, Nat, Harriet, Patrice (Lumumba), Steve (Biko)... and so many others, would have worked with each of them?

What would happen if all of us STOPPED sleeping in this whitewashed dreamland and stood behind Farrakhan, Mumia, Imam Al-Amin, Ben Ammi, Ramona Africa, Sharpton...

Dead Prez, Public Enemy/Chuck D, Sista Souljah, Michael Franti, Cypher, Bad Brains, Macka B, Steel Pulse, Burning Spear, Black Uhuru, Sizzla...

Danny Glover, Ossie Davis, Cynthia McKinney, Maxine Waters, Barbara Lee, John Conyers...

...the ballot...

Well said...

Ashe'

9. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    it would be a good dream to come true...but jealousy and fame
    is the greed...not wantin one to come up so they place the wall
    you are so correct..