Black Entertainment : Triple Hugo Award

umbrarchist

Reaction score
I do not know how many Black Americans pay attention to things like this. A minority of a minority. LOL

N.K. Jemisin becomes first author to win Hugo Award for Best Novel three years in a row
https://ew.com/books/2018/08/20/nk-jemisin-hugo-award-stone-sky/

A remarkable new record was made at the 2018 Hugo Awards on Sunday night. When author N.K. Jemisin won Best Novel for her book The Stone Sky at the honors, celebrating the best literary works in science-fiction and fantasy, she became the first author ever to win that award three years in a row. Jemisin’s three consecutive winners — The Fifth Season in 2016, The Obelisk Gate in 2017, and now The Stone Sky in 2018 — all form a series known as the Broken Earth trilogy, featuring a far-future Earth wracked periodically by apocalyptic disasters known as Seasons. Humanity does its best to survive this cycle of destruction, and a lot of its hope relies on the orogenes, individuals who can draw magical power from the depths of the Earth. But when another disastrous Season approaches, it’s an all-out battle as different factions compete to secure the resources necessary to endure.

umbrarchist

Reaction score
https://www.thebookseller.com/news/nk-jemisin-scoops-hugo-award-best-novel-third-time-running-847796

Jemisin scoops top Hugo award third time running

N K Jemisin’s The Stone Sky has been awarded science fiction's premier award, the Hugo Award for Best Novel, marking the first time any writer has taken home the accolade three years running.

Jemisin's UK publisher, Tim Holman at Orbit, called it "another incredible achievement for a ground-breaking series". The triple-Hugo-Award-winning author first made Hugo Award history when she became the first black writer to win the Best Novel category in 2016, scooping the prize with the first in the Broken Earth series of books, The Fifth Season. She then went on to claim the award again in 2017 with the second in the series, The Obelisk Gate. The Stone Sky is the concluding volume in the trilogy.

In her acceptance speech, Jemisin talked about what had been "a hard few years" and "a hard century", and why she had written the trilogy, saying it was "to speak to that struggle, and what it takes just to live, let alone thrive, in a world that seems determined to break you". She also addressed prejudice within the SFF community itself.

"I get a lot of questions about where the themes of the Broken Earth trilogy come from. I think it’s pretty obvious that I’m drawing on the human history of structural oppression, as well as my feelings about this moment in American history. What may be less obvious, though, is how much of the story derives from my feelings about science fiction and fantasy (SFF). Then again, SFF is a microcosm of the wider world, in no way rarefied from the world’s pettiness or prejudice," she said
There is more author response in this link.

umbrarchist

Reaction score
Finished the first book. It looks like this trilogy is not written so each book is a mostly complete story with the same characters in each book.

I would suggest not starting this unless you want to read all three.