Black People Politics : TRICKLE DOWN and Romney the Chickenhawk: Why he'll strip away all value left in the U.S. economy

Discussion in 'Black People Politics' started by Fieldpea, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Fieldpea

Fieldpea Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +778
    Here's the deal: Once upon a time, the wealthiest Americans would formulate administrative policies and pass laws guaranteed to increase the annual profits of the few, with the understanding that *some* sectors of the economy would thus be boosted--thanks to increased investment development--and even as other sectors of the economy would suffer gradual declines (X-amount of tax dollars and Y-number of loopholes being applied in ways to secure these shifts in economic emphasis *as promised* by the candidates running for this office and that, up to and including the flagship politicians running for president).

Whether any of us like this statement or not, I state it: Trickle down worked. It did. Never mind that it drastically hurt the poor and middle class, from a 1 percenter's perspective, it opened up their portfolio profitabilities. However, it is a 1 percenter strategy formulated, even *perfected* during economic times PRIOR to globalization.

Globalization has changed *everything* because of the calculation to OUTSOURE JOBS to protect/increase corporate dividends to investors. Should a flagship candidate, KNOWN for supporting the corporate strategy of *outsourcing* become president, what types of policies/laws will such a president encourage from his own administration and the congress? Expand outsourcing, maybe?

Romney *promises/INSISTS* in fact, that he KNOWS how to create jobs, and he does. He asks that his success at job creation be the reason for U.S. voters to put him into office. OK, but just where IN THE U.S. does Romney even care to so-called *create jobs*? He (Romney) isn't even a dyed-in-the-wool citizen-loyalist when it comes to his thinking as a BUSINESS MAN. And he is a *business man* running for president, so...and mind you, Romney is expert at creating jobs in China, Indonesia, Canada, Mexico, the Caymans, Switzerland--all kinds of places of economic interest to TRANS-NATIONAL BUSINESS MENS!

In fact, Romney is what I like to think of as a CHICKENHAWK! His Bain Capital record of *creatively destroying* U.S. businesses by front-loading them with borrowed money (MASSIVE DEBT), then DIVING those same businesses into the earth so that he, and his investor partners can then strip VALUE (and loan money) out as protected *profits* for Bain Capital *demonstrates* how he is EXPERT at approaching the DESPERATE, making promises to do ALL HE CAN to *turn things around*, and once he's in?

Whammo!

Mitt Romney is a certifiable CREATIVE DESTRUCTION expert!

I can be wrong in how I see these issues, but for a fact, this IS how I see Mitt Romney's *promises* to this country's electorate, should he end up as president.

One Love, and PEACE

2. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... Your bottom-line of the Governor sizzles with pin-point accuracy sister Fieldpea, great overview... lol, we know who you are voting for, if you go to the polls; or should I say we know who you are not voting for, lol.

Peace In,

3. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

Early voter, here:bball: I'm just waiting for my ballot to arrive in the mail.

Thing is, though my flagship vote still might not pan out, I feel I need to vote because this really could be the cycle whereby folks living in Maricopa County FINALLY musters the votes to get rid of that neo-con, exhibitionist, media psycho-ho, ARPAIO, so...(please excuse my Swahili).

I'm equally motivated to vote just *one more time* because of the Az 'down ballot'.

Now, I've got an anti-civil side to me, too--educated and trained to *think grandly* in terms of the downfall of nations--things like this. It is my FIRST MIND-thinking, too....and explains why I stopped voting entirely after the 1980 election, and had not cast a single ballot again until 2008 (a 28 year ballot silence out of me, Clyde).

Politics, to me, is essentially a white culture thing. All of the polarization we witness and hear and read about reflects the real polarizations that are being shaped and defined at *white folks' dinner tables*--their hopes, their dreams, their senses of entitlements, their depressions, their manias--ALL OF IT reflects their overall health and sense of wellbeing, and the *spill over* (good, bad, and indifferent) usually works to destabilize non-whites IN 4 YEAR CYCLES, no less, so....

Yet and so I'll do this exercising of the franchise one more time (for sure), but I'll do it in the hope that my kids (my two sons and my grandbaby) and by extension, everybody else's kids gains at least 4 more years of time to position themselves to survive the fall that will come (blossom more fully) into the lives of everyone, vote or not. From a local standpoint, this means I need to vote one more time to try to oust ARPAIO. From the national standpoint, this means I need to vote one more time to try to keep solving the areas of worry for the middle class on the front burner (Obama).

I'm saying that economically, Obama's right. The survival of the middle class IN AMERICA is the *key* (foundation stone) to the poor, and the non-whites' chances of surviving what came to a head on September 15, 2008 *globally*.

Globally.

One Love, and PEACE

4. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    When one allows themselves to be candid and honest, i. e., keep in mind what has befallen this nation, i. e., from the hostage crisis in Iran, to that recent attack on a U. S. embassy-- in 'liberated' Libya etc.:

At best-- all of the likes of Romney etc. are doing is just covering their own rear ends-- and/or that of their voting blocs...

I. e., such is a reason behind the all of the doubletalk, since the U. S. is for all intents and purposes--via the here and now--is a crippled world power, and neither candidate for president are into denial about that, though aren't bound to admit that in public or in print, on the so called homefront...

FYI...

5. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

Chuck, crippled is right. I just watched Romney do a speech at Clinton's global initiative thing. Dude went to juicing about linking foreign aid to private investment access to the countries the aid goes to. Slick speech. Tied *the development* of the recipient countries' labor forces to aspirations of uplift economically for *each citizen* in that recipient country. Workers would be so busy *working*, they'd have no time to protest U.S. policies.

THIS IS WHAT I MEANT, too, in my OP. NONE OF ROMNEY'S SPEECH discussed *job creation* BY PRIVATE INVESTMENT *inside of the United States*---not none of his speech discussed that.......NOR did his talk *discuss* the PAYSCALES that such recipient workers would be expected to labor to earn! If anything, he just gave one more speech advocating OUTSOURCING of private investment *elsewhere* which would then SECURE *job creating* in foreign countries.

Interestingly enuf, Obama gave his speech at the global initiative thing, too. His topic? INTERNATIONAL SLAVERY. Obama went into DETAIL about workers who are forced to labor for inhumanly long hours for a pittance--to the enrichment of their overseers--and thus were victims of modern slavery.

Yeah.....real interesting, how those two speeches spoke to the conditions, present and future, of the foreign workers in foreign countries. Romney promised to make such links between foreign aid grants and private business interests a reality *if he should become our president*, and Obama said that *as president* he'd already signed an executive order this morning to turn U.S. intelligence agencies loose on the global traffickers of human enslavers BIG TIME.

Signs of the times....as in more signs of where CAPITALISTS are now willing to wage their next war: On foreign soils and with capitalistic might FOCUSED *on non-immigrant labor*.

One Love, and PEACE

6. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,071

In the Spirit of Sankofa,

... One Love, and Peace Fieldpea,

Thanks for providing the awesome backdrop, fits you perfectly, lol... Also, good luck on ousting that Sheriff, at least yall got Gabby though...

Peace In,

7. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528

8. chuck

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Sista Fieldpea, ironic that nobody here/there/everywhere even brings up the alleged or real reactions of white folk in general to the outsourcing of their neighbors etc. jobs overseas to begin with...

As in: Slim or none...

It was and is on the 'it didn't happen to me' and at best 'sorry it happened to you'...

Is not one of the main tenets of a capitalist philosophy, "it's all about me, aka the 'ends justify the means' and it doesn't matter who else gets hurt?

It isn't just that Romney's pseudo economics only does advance the personal (self ) interests : That in and of itself IS NOTHING NEW...I. e., capitalism by its very nature is meant to advance certain individual's personal (self) interests as a given...

Lacking strong unions, hence paying lower wages etc., were the very reasons whites outsourced those jobs once done here in the states, for the sake of lower taxes/higher profits etc.

Those businesses etc. which have remained, are also reflections of automation/cybernation/downsizing/etc.

So our need and my want to contrast some folks flowery rhetoric with the reality some industries won't be the exclusive and sole means our less well educated neighbors relatives considered means to their ends anymore...

Therefore an exclusive and solely afrocentric approach will get us nowhere:

Truly holding our own in the midst of like minded others of various ethnic/racial/etc. backgrounds is a better one...

It is OUR turn to better represent ourselves on the WORLD stage, i. e., in relationship to whatever our gifts and skills present us with opportunities to accomplish!

So what sort of vision do we have, as regards making it not just a better nation, also a better world, than it is nowadays?

9. Fieldpea

United States
    Ratings:
    +778

You know, offhand I don't know what shape the world would take--certainly, no more of the world than what I can want to impact/take responsibility for. For now, though, all I know is that there do exist models of living good, quite satisfying, even profitable lives that don't hinge as if *life and death-like* to capitalism per se.

People need to CHOOSE to live such lives, though. Given the American Dream business + the *lure* (up to grinding demand/psychic pressure associated with consumerism), I only know of so many people walking the streets of this country dang near FREE from assigning their sense of well being to more than a decent roof over their heads, being cool in the summer, warm in the winter, maybe not eat 3 squares a day but maintain concern over *what they eat* from here on out.

In EACH CASE, too, they started off with a major fall into homelessness, and then turned things around, not in any spectacular way--but in the most modest of ways.

When I read your question, I thought of a bit of a documentary that I saw a few years back. The segment I saw HIT ME like a ton of bricks, too (here, I'm thinking about your saying afrocentric solutions might not be valid). In the American context, maybe not; yet, HIT ME like a ton of bricks. I'll describe the segment, but first, I'll start with relating a talk I had with an asian dude a few years ago online.

This asian (a declared regular at asian avenue), came by BP and created a forum that SLAMMED Afrikans for deserving to have their resources stripped away by China, if not by the west in general. His reason for believing this?

Because Afrikans didn't even have the intelligence or the determination to feed themselves by manufacturing *cars*--cars (like what folks drive). His POV? Afrikans deserved to lose control of their lands/resources because they didn't know what to DO with such riches.

Well, his forum created a huge stir! Folk came into that forum FIRED UP! They blamed slavery (underdevelopment of tribes due to slavery's effects), followed by the ravages of colonialism. But the truth? I though about the Dogon.

The Dogon ARE CONVINCED that they got it going on! They are convinced of this! They control their lands. They have preserved their culture. They have controlled their scientific knowledge. They *continue* generation after generation, passing on their teachings, their *secret wisdom* their HERITAGE to their children, on and on and on for many thousands of years, not yearning for ONE THING *western*---certainly, nothing like car manufactury!

Anyhow, I posted to this asian and I asked him, "What in the world makes YOU THINK that *a self-respecting Afrikan* could even WANT to manufacture a FREAKING CAR? Why? What has a car to do with LIFE to any people INTENT on maintaining their physical, mental and emotional health THEIR way???

Dude never responded to my question. So, if there are any lessons in that anecdote I've just provided, you got to see them as valuable (and maybe even afrocentric).

But about the documentary! I must say: I saw it on PBS maybe 7-8 years ago. It was some kind of anthropological program I caught during their fundraising period. Here's the story:

The focus of the segment was what happened to these two men from Ghana. They lived in a village. About half of the segment was spent discussing their relationship as they worked their yam mounds--how they worked together, sang while they worked, their relative positions within their village, etc. Then, something happened. One man's yam mound was raided during the night, and some choice yams were stolen. The next day, the victim of the theft blamed the other man. Adamantly. Relentlessly. The other man denied being the thief. Adamantly. Without doubt! Denied the theft.

That morning (call it day 1), the victim of the theft immediately went before the village elders and made his formal charge of theft against the other man. When the other man was brought before the elders, he denied being the thief. The elders then turned to the accuser and asked his, point-blank, if he was willing to let the theft go, and return to his mound for the sake of the village. He said "yes, IF the thief would admit to the theft. The other man, when asked, refused to take blame for the theft. Both were told to go and think about it.

(Day 2): Both were brought before the elders. The accuser *accused* the other man again. The accused denied it, and went further, saying that the victim was 'making up the charge against him', but he didn't know why. The victim was asked a second time to let the matter drop, but by now, he's STEAMING because the accused has now stolen his yams AND called him a liar before the elders, so no! The elders then asked the accused if he would accept blame for the theft and end the matter right then. He refuses adamantly, making it clear that he's now tired of being called a thief and a liar! Again, both are told to leave the presence of the elders (who are now behaving like they're really distressed and troubled about the situation). Apparently, the accused had already begun to plead his innocence with some of the village folk, and THE IDEA of the theft of yams was a HUGE MATTER to these people! A thief in their midst was a big, big deal (if true), so...now, there's trouble brewing within the entire village. So...

(Day 3): The day dawns, and the anthropologist and his videographer spy a very large pot (I swear, just like the stereotypical black pot over a fire that the movies used to depict white bwannas getting boiled in)--anyway, the anthrop and his camaraman spy this giant black pot hung over a fire, and whatever kind of liquid inside of it was JUMPING and snapping--it was so hot! Well, it turned out that the night before--the night of day 2--the elders had ordered that this communal pot be brought out and filled with palm oil, and set to boil overnight. The anthropologist reported that a pot like this of palm oil, set to boil for 10 to 12 hours would mean that the temperature of the palm oil had built up to between 800 - 1,000 degrees (this is what he reported). When they asked why, they were told that the dispute between these two villagers would be settled that morning.

Both men were ordered to appear before the village elders. One more time, the elders asked the accuser if he still insisted that the other man had taken his yams. In a very dignified, formal way he told them yes. They asked the other man if he was sure he did not take those yams, and he said yes. The elders rose up from their seats, and led the two men outside before the entire assembled village of people.

The accuser? He walked up to the pot of boiling palm oil. There were maybe 5-6 villagers surrounding the pot (men and women). The accuser stiffened his fingers and jammed his arm up to his elbow into that pot! The witnesses went aaahhh! About 3 seconds, total. Standing ramrod stiff, he withdrew his arm and the villagers standing nearby IMMEDIATELY began to slather some kind of thick paste all along his arm, palm, between his fingers, etc. Dude didn't move. Dude didn't speak! Dude didn't scream. Dude didn't whimper. He stepped back from the pot, shoulders back, and turned to look at the accused (in fact, the entire village turned as one to look at the accused).

Standing tall, shoulders straight, the accused began to slowly step toward the pot. EVERYBODY witnessed his every move very quietly. When he got to the pot, another set of villagers moved to stand nearby the pot with small bowls of that slather stuff in them. They waited for this dude to make a move.........they waited..........uh-uh.

The accused's face crumpled! He started off crying full bore, mouth open, strandy saliva, hands held up placatingly.....turning first this way, then that, in his own language pleadingly! The accuser's face went stonelike. The accused, body part-way twisted at the waist in shame, baby-stepped his way towards the victim. The victim did one of them military-like spin turns and walked away. When he did this, the accused then began to approach the elders! They turned away from him, and returned back to their little hut-meeting place. Wouldn't speak to him. That kind of thing. The villagers, too, wouldn't let him get too close. The anthropologist and videographer caught all of this drama for their documentary.

The next scene, Day 3: Both men are in the hut with the elders. The punishment: 30 days of servitude (working the yam mound of the victim). An equivalent amount of stolen yams were to replace what was stolen. The thief was not released to work his own yam mound except at the pleasure of the victim, as the victim needed sufficient time to recover from the test of truth he'd endured.

Day 4: Both men are once again at the site of their yam mounds. The victim and the thief (once again) are talking 'men-matters' as they worked. They sing a few work-songs together as they worked the victim's mound, and by all appearances, except for the thief not working his own yam mound, all seemed to be back to normal. NOTE: The anthropologist's voice during this part sounded puzzled. He stated his own surprise that there appeared to be no hard feelings, but apparently, there were no hard feelings, so...

About 3 hours into the 1st day of the punishment, the victim told the thief that he was well satisfied that the thief had learned his lesson, and so it was OK if he went back to seeing to his own yam mound--punishment over.

Chuck, at this point the anthropologist was beside himself! HE DID NOT UNDERSTAND! So, he asked the victim to explain WHY he'd let the thief go free! He STOLE from him! LIED about it before the elders! Called the victim a LIAR before the elders! So, why did he release him from the punishment???

I swear: The victim looked at this white dude and said, "He has a family to take care of, just like I do."

All I could do was stand up! I had to. See, I AGREED with the anthropologist! I saw it like the anthropologist did! Until I heard a better way, Chuck. My SHAME would have covered ALL OF OUR PEOPLE, Chuck. How out of bounds we've all become. Westernized.

I am STILL cringing when I THINK about how much our people have lost that was uniquely OUR WAY of being *humans*. The WEST? Not our natural way, Chuck. It isn't. But for starters, what else we got to begin with, right?

Anyhow, just 2 or 3 years after watching that program segment, in coming across that stupid asian's disparaging statements about the IGNORANCE of Afrikans, and what such ignorance EARNED THEM (for not wanting/needing to manufacture cars!)....well, that's why I thought of the Dogon (a globally respected tribe), who, by the way, were the next segment in that documentary).

Afrocentrism. There are KEY TRUTHS that we need to learn, but IF we learn such things (Afrikan wisdom), then they'll teach us how to conduct ourselves no matter the times.

One Love, and PEACE

Edit to add: I forgot to add this--it wasn't until maybe a year or two ago, after getting a chance to read "Of Water And The Spirit" by Malidoma Patrice Some that it occurred to me that those men (the elders or course, but so too the victim and the thief) were INITIATED MEN.