Pan Africanism : Tribute to Nina Simone

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by mkhaya lo', Apr 25, 2003.

1. mkhaya lo'

mkhaya lo' Well-Known Member MEMBER

Journalist
    Rand Park Ridge, Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi guys, I know u all know by now that the great legendary "Priestess of Soul" Nina Simone is dead....

But what u may not know is that Nina Simone was very instrumental in the fight against Apartheid for oppressed blacks in South Africa. She was a human rights activist through her music, not only in America, but indeed also here in Africa... For us in south africa, her death is particularly tragic because she never had the opportunity to peform in front of South Africans, right here in South Africa, but we remember her, salute her, and honour her bravery and boldness to be different and speak out..

Last night I went to the Film Premier "Sankofa" the story of slavery from an African Film maker's point of view.... it was powerful and indeed it got me thinking about the road to healing. I think of all the atrocities that black people all around the world have gone through and I think, why? Its no different here in our continent, the wars between countries, poverty, we die of diseases of sorts and types and the world is in turmoil because Africa is Bleeding....

2. mkhaya lo'

Journalist
    Ratings:
    +6
    Jah respec my brotha..

3. coolhandchef

coolhandchef New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Know what bothered me about the passing of our soul sista Nina? NOBODY in the philly newspapers talked about her. There was a little on the TV news but other than that there were no tributes no nothin for the sista and that made her passing even more powerful and sad for me. Yall keep yall fists to the sky and live for the power that we own.

4. dbaraka

dbaraka Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry to hear that Nina has gone to join the ancesters.Along with Marin Makeba,she is one of my all time favorite people.She was more than just a singer.She was a great person.The movie SANKOFA,by Haile Gerima is a great movie and should be included in every person's(Black and white) video library.

5. mkhaya lo'

Journalist
    Ratings:
    +6
    feeling u all!!

I saw the movie SANKOFA and it was a powerful movie. Mutabaruka was in South Africa along with Haile Gerima to promote the movie... its sad that in my country the movie was only allowed to show this year, after it was deemed too controversial by the previous and current governments but luckily things have changed and the movie was so direct and not from a white man's perspective on slavery for a change. and that i found to be very refreshing because when i watched steven spielberg's movie "amistad" i thought it was a good representation-until i watched SANKOFA and that's when my eyes were opened...

lots of love and R.I.P to NINA SIMONE...

lo'