Pan Africanism : Tribalism 'rampant' in Kenyan workplace

Discussion in 'Black History - Culture - Panafricanism' started by panafrica, Jan 19, 2006.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/4624698.stm

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
  3. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Tribalism is rampant among just about all African societies.

That's one of the reasons we were so easily defeated.

You may laugh but I sincerely believe that the necessary ingredient to PanAfricanism and the ultimate key to global Black unity is for Blacks of all nationalitids and tribes to have sex and marry among eachother.
    Really mix it up.

It's sure to break down all those old family and tribal bonds, prejudices, and misconceptions.

:eek: But alas......it's not always easy selling this plan to the African women I meet.

4. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    no different than the u.s.

cripps vs bloods
    white talkers vs aave speakers
    southern blacks vs northern blacks
    black conservatives vs well okay they suck....

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Leave it to us African Americans to make something extremely serious look comical by comparison LOL! I guess Yawl feelin' like I am about all of our tribal divisions...like worn the EF out with 'em...(smile!)

Peace!
    Isaiah

6. karmashines

karmashines Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19
    Well, sometimes there are good reasons why Africans might dislike another ethnic group (I'll use that term since it's been denoted before tribe is offensive). What do you do if another ethnic group has done something heinous to your people? Some would say, well we're all black though... but for communities that identify strongly with the ethnic group type of identity that may not work. This is a deeply-rooted cultural perception that won't go away overnight.

IF the cause of disdain between groups is violence, mistreatment, etc. then the group that perptuated that must acknowledge the wrongdoing, apologize and hopefully this can be a start. The wronged party must be willing to forgive.

IF the cause is simply pride, then enlightened individuals in that group need to campaign that in this world we're all black. There is no need to make separate distinctions... we have to unify regardless.

Anyway, I don't know too much about division of ethnic groups in Africa... but these are my opinions formed on some of the perspectives I've read here on the issue.

7. Dual Karnayn

Dual Karnayn Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +7
    Right,
    This is what most people couldn't understand about the genocide that was happening in Rwanda between the Hutu and the Tutsi.

Because the world has been conditioned to see all Black people as just one, not acknowledging or respecting our differences.....they portrayed the conflict in Rwanda as senseless and ridiculous.

As if Black people are so insignificant our "petty little differences" shouldn't matter.

But with over 1000 distinct ethnic groups, Africans are far more diverse than Europeans.

Some of these ethnic groups hate eachother so much and are so mistrusting of all other Blacks outside of thier group....they'd rather their children marry white than marry someone from another Black ethnicity.

There are many Somalis and Ethiopians like this.

8. fanyamambo

fanyamambo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm glad to see my country making headlines! Tribalism unfortunately has infiltrated most if not all political and social structures. It is a big problem here and the centre of many debates. It is a shame.

9. Riada

Riada Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18

Sis. Fanyamambo, I notice that the continental Africans I know still use the word "tribe" when referrring to` ethnic groups of Africans, could you tell me which term is appropriate--"tribe" or "ethnic group," in your opinion?

Also, since tribalism seems to be a negative phenomenon these days, what do you think could be done to reduce or erase it? How much of an African's identity is embedded in their ethnic group or tribe? For the sake of peace and if they could, would it be a good idea for all African ethnic groups to separate?

10. Therious

Therious Banned MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    i mean no disrespect though. i belive we will get it together some day.