Black People : Trayvon Martin protests: What of the other young black males lost to violence?

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Destee, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Trayvon Martin protests: What of the other young black males lost to violence?

Published: Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 6:30 AM

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama -- Tameka Wyatt is like so many others.

She sees what happened to 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in Florida, and she sees red.

But not for the same reason as so many protesters.

Because when she sees the protests over Martin, she sees her son, 16-year-old Curtis Harrison.

He was shot in the back and left to die in Birmingham in September 2011.

There was no outrage. No protests. No Birmingham City Council members clad in hoodies to show solidarity with her son, as many were Tuesday because of the Martin case.

"It makes me mad," Wyatt said Tuesday. "My son was innocent, too."

It is hard for Wyatt and others to process the difference between Martin's death and those of the many young black men killed on a regular basis.

In Birmingham, perennially one of the most murderous cities in America, 15 people have been killed so far this year. Fourteen of those were black males.

Wyatt pointed out that none drew protests or rallies.

"Why doesn't this happen for all the kids that are murdered?" she asked.

In 2011, Birmingham police recorded 54 chargeable homicides and three justifiable ones. Of the 54 chargeable ones, 38 of the cases were the result of black-on-black crime. No charges have been made in 17 of those cases.

In 2010, Birmingham had 58 chargeable homicides and four justifiable ones. Of the chargeable cases, 40 were the result of black-on-black crime. No charges have been made in 20 of them.

Click Here To Read Entire Article

:heart:

Destee

2. Omowale Jabali

Omowale Jabali The Cosmic Journeyman PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585
    We need to be clear about something here. In the Trayvon Martin situation the parents took action.

It is the parents who are the primary custodians of their children. Therefore, it is their primary responsibility to seek justice for their children.

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

you really believe that? that the mother in the story above, just didn't do enuff ... that's why she didn't get any attention.

her and the 28 parents that lost Black Sons this year in B'ham alone ... they just aint doin enuff either.

but somehow ... miraculously ... thru the fog and haze of dead Black Male bodies ... Trayvon's Parents did?

what did they do ... insist that the Today Show put them on the air ... what?

c'mon now ... i know you got better than that to give this discussion.

Destee

4. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

You sure do have a way with words.

Did I say that she did not do enough?

My point is that it is the primary responsibility to take action in such incidents.

That is my opinion on this matter and I rest my case.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684

Yeah Brother O ... you should be willing to point to the actions Trayvon's Parents took, that led to the media attention they received.

Obviously, it must be a lot more than most Black Parents that have to bury their Sons do, for few get this.

If there is an act, an action, that a Black Parent could do to achieve this end, you should tell us all what it is.

I don't believe there is one ... so it makes sense for you to rest this tired case you are presenting.

Destee

6. Chevron Dove

Chevron Dove Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +2,730
    Sister Destee, I have two Black sons too, and all I can say quickly is that, yes, I can relate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh! you just don't know, or maybe you do know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!--cause you mentioned that you have a son too. But I'm grateful that I don't know the real hell these Black mothers are going through who have to endure such an evil act byway of another Black man who is the son of another Black woman. But even if the Black criminals get totally done in by this system for doing this against another Black, I still think will it help to end Black-on-Black 'hate crimes'? No matter, this kind of hate must be addressed, I agree.

I still feel pain about so many issues my sons bring to me about having to deal with other Black men you they have to deal with everyday, and as a mother, I wonder too, who will help me to help my sons in these kind of situations. If I lash out against Blacks for allowing this, I wonder how will that stop another Black man from coming at my Black son? I think, if it would not have been Judas Ischariot who was willing to be a sell out, then those evil White people would have gotten another willing sell out, or another, or another...this system is whack.

One of my sons was so traumatized by being bullied by so many other Black 'boys' in junior high and high school that he actually had a nervous condition, and it was severe to the point in which the BLAM SCHOOL SYSTEM --WHO PUT HIM IN THE FRIKING UNFAIR SITUATION IN THE FIRST PLACE--advised us that he needed therapy!!!--and they told us he was NOT going to graduate!!!-- But the only BLAM therapy that he needed was for them to NOT allow other Black 'boys' to attack other Black 'boys' and do nothing about it! Uh Huh! Both of my sons are still traumatized by their public school experiences with --you got it!---Black issues---peer pressure and crap like that. As Omowalijabali suggested, in regards to parent involvment, I think about preventive measures too, because I WAS ALWAYS DOWN AT THE SCHOOLS AND THEY HATED TO SEE ME COMIN!!! And, furthermore, I wonder if you can imagine HOW MANY BLACK WOMEN TEACHERS I HAD TO CONFRONT TOO!!!- TEACHERS WHO WANTED ME TO STAY OUT OF IT AND ALLOW THE BLACK 'BOYS' TO FIGHT IT OUT!!! But those same Black teachers would not dare let the White 'boys' get attacked by a Black 'boy'. Oh! I could on and on!

I remember once when my son was working at a grocery store, how about a gang of ten or more boys came and sat outside the shopping center, waiting for my son...to attack my son...when he got off work...I couldn't get my husband to believe in the seriousness of the issue, and my son tried to downplay it because he had become so conditioned by other blacks to believe that he should stand his ground and fight it out...but I drove my car up to the store, and looked at the boys, got out of my car and walked in the store, and ... stayed there...I refused to leave...until the manager, a BLack man, came out and spoke to me and go the security guard and got involved. I still stayed until my husband came and my son got off work...I was exhausted though.

Then there was the time my son was working at another story, and because he's kind of average-tall built, he worked night shift with the other Black fellas and he had a good time but hthere was this old Black man, another worker, an ex-con and he was an instigator and aggressive like you wouldn't believe and because my son got kind of aggressive too by this time, well, he wasn't taken no crap and well, things got ugly...now this Black man did not ever bother the many Hispanic 'boys' working there but he always harrassed the Black 'boys' and the Hispanic 'boys' were just as lively as the Black 'boys' and the White ones, sometimes much more! My son was close friends with the Hispanic 'boy' but this old Black man was always at my son, till one day my son called me and told me that a fight was about to take place because this man threaten to fight him if he did not leave from the grill, and my son refused ot leave and the women [thank God for them!] got inbetween the situation and told that man that he was just jealous of my son cause the girls were always flirting with him...Well, I was in the parking lot in about five minutes as I was up the street shopping, and I called the police and they even beat me to the store...and i got out and the Hispanic 'boy' came out and 'thank God for him!'--calmed me down! My son was 'fit to be tied' so-to-speak but the police told us to go down and report it, but when I got to the police station, I changed my mind, and did not report it. My husband was all angry and wanted to report it. The police man said they would go and arrest the old man immediately and put in jail. But, I changed my mind and told my son, don't do it. When I got outside, I told my family that I refused to allow my son to to the dirty work for those racist White people and become maneuvered into a position to be retaliated against by this ex-con man who White people used and exploited to attack young Black men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep. I saw a trick ensuing. So I told my son to report the man to the supervisor and let him take care of his own worker. As a matter of fact, I went to the stor and spoke to the su0pervisor myself and realized the game that was being played against young black men!

So, no, I don't have an answer for this Black woman's son who was killed by another Black but, I can understand why anyone would be upset at not being able to get help against their son being killed by another Black and not getting the exposure that Trayvon's death is getting. But if we let the White racist get away with doing this, then I wonder if it will help as a whole, or will things get worse. Actually, I think things are going to get worse anyway with White-on-Black crime and this case with Trayvon might cause it to escalate, whether it got the attention its getting or not anyway. I think this was the plan years ago. I think this killer is one of many who are trigger happy to take down Blacks due to their anger at president Obama for being in office or perhaps some other reason of justified hatred against Black people. But it sure doesn't help a grieving Black mother who has lost her son to another Black man. I think this issue is going to get bigger. My husband's friend told my husband that when he was in the war in Iraq, he was made to fight against other Black AFrican-typed people in the military for 'the Middle East'.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    i hope that the publicity in the trayvon case will make people take a look at ALL the black kids who are killed.

8. SPEAKFREEDOMnet

SPEAKFREEDOMnet Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +147
    Uhuru,

Consider this: The only time cases such as these get major corporate media coverage is when one of two things happens:

1. There is blatant, red-handed evidence of their crime: video, phone records, witnesses, surviving victim, etc.

2. The victim has some form of celebrity status, to popular for the media to ignore.

Both scenarios have typically generated awareness & mobilization (reactionary outrage) of the masses, which in turn forces reluctant, twisted & opportunist media coverage. More damage control than anything (can’t risk waking-up the sleeping giant).

Without a doubt, every family would like the media coverage that Trayvon is receiving, however, as a wise Elder once said:

Gnatola ma no kpon sia, eyenabe adelan to kpo mi sena. (Ewe-mina)
    Until the lion has his or her own storyteller, the hunter will always have the best part of the story.

9. Omowale Jabali

United States
    Creative Industrialist
    Ratings:
    +9,585

Tired case?

lol!

You can't be serious. But since it seems you are I will refrain from further response which in no way will prove your point but only let me know it is clear you remain intent of raising issues about what we as a people are incapable of or failing to do rather than pose solutions.

Peace out!

10. Asomfwaa

Asomfwaa Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2,564
    The outrage is over the cover-up, not the crime.

If Zimmerman was arrested and put on trial, there'd be no protest.

Instead, Zimmerman was released, Trayvon's murder was dismissed as a missing person's case, and White police communities and business communities are supporting Zimmerman's hiding.

The cases above aren't parallel.

If a Black youth killed another Black youth, was taken in by the police, then released later--maybe a protest would ensue.

But as it is--White-on-White murder is larger than Black-on-Black murder; but there's no national outcry over them either.

We need to understand the outrage over Trayvon's case before we look for hypocrisies.

The outrage is not that Trayvon died. The outrage is that his killer is being protected.