Black People : Toward reparations in the current climate.

suputnik

REGISTERED MEMBER
Nov 1, 2013
Specifically, what is being discussed, advocated, rejected, etc. I am white and in my experience the word "reparations" is heard noticeably less often than perhaps 10 to 15 years ago. In fact, the last time I heard the word used, it was in a Dave Chapelle skit, which is getting to be quite a while ago now.

I personally would have to argue that black/white relations in the U.S. are at a significant low point, much to my dismay, and much to the contrary of the politically correct rhetoric spouted in the 1990s. I am very much concerned especially by media characterizations of whites and blacks-- certainly it was ever the case that such characterizations were harmful, but I see, now a mass decompensation happening. (e.g. the brazen redneck vs. the brazen street thug, and never the twain shall meet, all on reality shows)

I am reminded, nowadays, of the prevailing fear of blacks I experienced in the Wisconsin/Illinois stateline area, and the phrase "white flight." I was lucky enough to move about the country to places where this dynamic was not such a factor, and by and large blacks and whites accepted each other's being, but even then, the factors of interracial history loomed large. Meaningful reparations for the tragedies inflicted on blacks is something I would support, but the waters are clouded to me.

I would love to hear what you are thinking.

Specifically, what is being discussed, advocated, rejected, etc. I am white and in my experience the word "reparations" is heard noticeably less often than perhaps 10 to 15 years ago. In fact, the last time I heard the word used, it was in a Dave Chapelle skit, which is getting to be quite a while ago now.

I personally would have to argue that black/white relations in the U.S. are at a significant low point, much to my dismay, and much to the contrary of the politically correct rhetoric spouted in the 1990s. I am very much concerned especially by media characterizations of whites and blacks-- certainly it was ever the case that such characterizations were harmful, but I see, now a mass decompensation happening. (e.g. the brazen redneck vs. the brazen street thug, and never the twain shall meet, all on reality shows)

I am reminded, nowadays, of the prevailing fear of blacks I experienced in the Wisconsin/Illinois stateline area, and the phrase "white flight." I was lucky enough to move about the country to places where this dynamic was not such a factor, and by and large blacks and whites accepted each other's being, but even then, the factors of interracial history loomed large. Meaningful reparations for the tragedies inflicted on blacks is something I would support, but the waters are clouded to me.

I would love to hear what you are thinking.

Here's some update suputnik:

White boy talking reparations

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by BlackScratchFever, Jun 15, 2013

http://destee.com/index.php?threads/white-boy-talking-reparations.76605/

The thread itself I read through, as you can see. I am now beginning to listen to the radio show, but I am stopping it quickly.

Amid extensive profanity (and apparently drunkenness) the white boy in question seems to be delivering platitudes about the well known fact that the U.S. government has criminally violated ethnic peoples around the world. This should be news to no one.

I will continue to listen to see if he makes the morally necessary special case for blacks, who, apart from all others, were explicitly enslaved, and then when said enslavement nominally ended, were systematically undermined, imprisoned, and executed, in the name Federal law.

The thread itself I read through, as you can see. I am now beginning to listen to the radio show, but I am stopping it quickly.

Amid extensive profanity (and apparently drunkenness) the white boy in question seems to be delivering platitudes about the well known fact that the U.S. government has criminally violated ethnic peoples around the world. This should be news to no one.

I will continue to listen to see if he makes the morally necessary special case for blacks, who, apart from all others, were explicitly enslaved, and then when said enslavement nominally ended, were systematically undermined, imprisoned, and executed, in the name Federal law.

Understood, I had to do the same, but I got through it, lol. He makes a decent argument, as well as, he fights off the naysayers, very impressive to me.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back