Black People : Tort Reform

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by legit-writer, Feb 18, 2013.

1. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    Do you believe that state legislatures should impose limits, or “caps,” on the amount of damages a jury can award in a tort/personal injury action? In many states, elected officials have passed laws stating that the jury cannot award a successful tort plaintiff more than X amount of dollars. Is this a good or bad idea?

2. houserunner

houserunner Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,165
    I don't know, nor do I have an answer to what exactly should be in place. However I do recognize the premise of why it is set up the way it is as it pertains to frivolous lawsuits and exorbitant cash rulings in the past that has things the way they are. I still remember the lawsuit that was brought against a restaurant back in the day when some fool sued over hot coffee and got awarded millions.

That's why a lot of items that you see have labeling that has "common sense" warnings... e.g. "WARNING! THE CONTENTS WITHIN THIS CONTAINER IS HOT!"

REALLY??!!! Well I'll be gosh darned! I would have never expected coffee to be hot!

How does that GMF line go? "It's all about the money, ain't a [email protected] thing funny, you gotta have a con in this land of milk and honey."

3. legit-writer

legit-writer Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,189
    you're referring to the stella liebeck case back in the 90s, right? if it was mcdonald's lawsuit you are talking about, then hey she was no fool. she was more than entitled to those funds back in the day, but today..mmm not so sure.