Black Entertainment : Toronto: ’12 Years a Slave’ Leaves Another Festival Audience Shaken

I saw this movie a couple of weeks ago. Although it showed a deeper description of the harsh realities slaves had to endure, I still didn't get much out of it. The things they showed were the things everybody already had some ideal was going on. Just seeing what happened in Roots with the rapes, lynchings, and burning of slaves alive was already enough for me to see. And they still like to show these episodes on BET every Christmas for some reason.

I just didn't see where it was necessary to see Roots in detail, which was similar to what this movie did. I guess there will be another movie one day showing even more than what this one did, meanwhile life for African-Americans in this country seems to be getting worst. Some say these recent slave movies are being used to keep black people unconscious of what's going on today, by making them glad they're not living the lives of the slaves.

In the other two slave movies, I got something a little more positive from them, and I was able to analogize something in each of those two movies to something positive in my life. In Django Unchained, I was able to see myself telling all my bosses off in spades along with several other people on my old job in high positions, as I walked away leaving them in their sinking plantation like environment. In The Butler, when I saw how the revolutionary son showed his father how important it was to stand up for what was right, and how it paid off in the long run, I saw myself when I was taking a stand for what was right on my old job, showing this particular older co-worker who was old enough to be my father, and who believed in going along to get along, how wrong he was for writing me off when they had me under attack.

However, 12 Years a Slave only made me sorry that I ever moved from the North to the South (this part anyway), when I compare it to what I got out of the previous two slave movies. The part that really made me wonder, was the scene where the slave woman was showing agony while she talked about all the suffering she did just to survive, including having a child by her white master, just to wound up where she was, living in much worst conditions. To me, that should have been one of it's most teachable moments for someone with the go along to get along mentality of today. Although the movies was informative, it was more like watching Roots all in Kunta Kintes' generation.

I cannot figure out for the life of me, why some folks seem obsessed with watching slave movies! :( The Butler, The Help, and Roots etc. But won't watch either of the two most recent Mandela movies. Especially the one starring Jenifer Hudson, and Terrance Howard. :confused: I guess they don't want to show us fighting back and killing white folks uh man? :cool:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Destee wrote on Cindy's profile.
Hi @Cindy .... :wave: ... :flowers: ... :wave: ... Happy New Year Beloved! Welcome Home! Good to see you! Much Much Love and Peace :heart:
Back