Black Entertainment : Toronto: ’12 Years a Slave’ Leaves Another Festival Audience Shaken

Clyde C Coger Jr

PREMIUM MEMBER
Nov 17, 2006
www.amazon.com
Occupation
Speaker/Teacher/Author
In the Spirit of Sankofa,

Toronto: ’12 Years a Slave’ Leaves Another Festival Audience Shaken

Toronto__12_Years_a_Slave_-2cf6cb57f770ec5e38575d987c3bd864

Toronto: ’12 Years a Slave’ Leaves Another Festival Audience Shaken

Steve McQueen’s “12 Years a Slave” came to Toronto on Friday night, and it left audiences in the same state they were in after it screened inTelluride last week: drained, shaken and on their feet cheering.

In the Q&A that followed the screening, McQueen responded succinctly to the question of why he chose to tackle a subject that hasn’t been covered in many serious films.
“It was a no-brainer,” said the British director, whose previous films were “Hunger” and “Shame.” “I just wanted to see … that history, that story on film. It was important and obvious. It’s that simple.”
Added Brad Pitt, who appears in the film and also served as one of the producers through his Plan B production company, “Steve is the first to ask the big question — why have there not been more films about the American history of slavery? It was the big question, and it took a Brit to ask it.”

suggested reading:
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/toronto-12-years-slave-leaves-another-festival-audience-071244309.html

McQueen hopes film opens discussion about slavery

Filmmaker Steve McQueen said he hoped his new movie "12 Years a Slave" would open up fresh, frank discussion about the slave trade.
"There's a lot of shame about slavery in America and the West Indies," McQueen told a press conference on Saturday.
"There's nothing to be forgiven for, it wasn't your fault, this is what happened to you."

http://news.yahoo.com/mcqueen-hopes-film-opens-discussion-slavery-053241293.html

photo_1378617956690-1-HD.jpg

Sarah Paulson, Alfre Woodard, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Steve McQueen, Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o …

Brad Pitt on 12 Years a Slave: "If I Never Get to Participate in a Film Again, This Is it for Me"

Let the 2014 Oscar race begin! Just one week after Brad Pitt's 12 Years a Slave debuted at the Telluride Film Festival, the film made its official premiere at the Toronto International Festival Festival Friday night, already gaining a substantial amount of Oscar buzz.
PHOTOS: Brad Pitt's life as a dad
The film is based on the true story of Solomon Northup, a free black man, who was abducted and sold into slavery in the pre-Civil War. Pitt both produced and played a supporting role in the film as Steve McQueen directed.
Pitt expressed his gratitude for the rave reviews in a Q&A after the premiere. "I just have to say, if I never get to participate in a film again, this is it for me," the 49-year-old actor said. "It was a privilege."
http://omg.yahoo.com/news/brad-pitt-12-years-slave-never-participate-film-184000340-us-weekly.html
1378566703_brad-pitt-467.jpg

Brad Pitt on 12 Years a Slave: "If I Never Get to Participate in a Film Again, This Is it for Me"

'12 Years A Slave' wins best picture in Toronto

British filmmaker Steve McQueen's "12 Years A Slave" won the audience prize for best picture at the Toronto International Film Festival on Sunday.
The film, already generating Oscars buzz, is based on a firsthand account of Solomon Northup, a free black man from upstate New York who was kidnapped and sold into slavery in 1841, recalling the horrors of grueling labor, daily humiliation and families torn apart.
Its premiere in Toronto last week received a standing ovation, as well as sobs, while some in the audience left early over the film's graphic portrayal of unspeakable torture of slaves during this period in history.
The story is "a gift from the past to open a discussion, not about race, particularly, but about human dignity and our freedoms and what we most require in the world," said actor Chiwetel Ejiofor, who plays Northup.
"And the only way to really open that discussion is to see all sides of it."
The film also stars Michael Fassbender as a cruel plantation owner, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Garret Dillahunt, Paul Giamatti, Scoot McNairy, Lupita Nyong'o, Adepero Oduye, Sarah Paulson, Brad Pitt, Michael Kenneth Williams and Alfre Woodard.

http://news.yahoo.com/12-years-slave-wins-best-picture-toronto-184507608.html

12_years_a_slave.868c5094043.original.jpg

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back