Black Sports : Top trainers pick top heavyweights!

1. Muhammed Ali
2. The Brown Bomber Joe Louis
3.Larry Holmes
4.Archie Moore
5.Jack Johnson
6.Sonny Liston
7.Frazier (not because I think he's great but because of the wars with Ali.)
8.Tom Molineaux
9.The Manassas Mauler
10.Bill Richmond

notable mention Rocky Marciano...made a name for himself fighting washed up Black Champs and an undersized and old Ezzard Charles who would have whupped him under different circumstances....

Why didn't the talk to Teddy Atlas for that piece.....or ..and I know he's not a trainer but knows boxing ...the great one Bert Sugar..

MississippiRed

MississippiRed said:
1. Muhammed Ali
2. The Brown Bomber Joe Louis
3.Larry Holmes
4.Archie Moore
5.Jack Johnson
6.Sonny Liston
7.Frazier (not because I think he's great but because of the wars with Ali.)
8.Tom Molineaux
9.The Manassas Mauler
10.Bill Richmond

notable mention Rocky Marciano...made a name for himself fighting washed up Black Champs and an undersized and old Ezzard Charles who would have whupped him under different circumstances....

Why didn't the talk to Teddy Atlas for that piece.....or ..and I know he's not a trainer but knows boxing ...the great one Bert Sugar..

MississippiRed

Brother Red:

How you can include Archie Moore in this list? Archie Moore was probably the greatest light heavyweight of all time; however, he never won a title at heavyweight. I also don't see why so many people think Sonny Liston is a great heavyweight champ when he only defended the title one time (a rematch with Floyd Patterson). Tom Molineaux fought in the 1700s! Man you are reaching way back with this list!

I put Archie Moore because I always liked his heart even though he was never a great heavyweight (he was a beautiful light heavy) but he wasn't afraid to get in the ring with anyone light heavy or heavy....Mr. Moore was and is one of my heroes...

Sonny I put in just because he was so gangsta...lol...I loved his attitude..it was always F.U. 24/7 and the look on his grill reflected the same...never have thought he was much of a fighter though....

After my #3 everyone else is pretty much on the list more for personal reasons than for being truly great boxers...even though the last 3 and #6 were good fighters ....but the first 3 are my all time great heavyweights based on actual fighting attributes and success in the heavyweight division.

Oh yeah I went way back for Molineaux and Richmond just goes to show how long Black fighters have been around knocking knew you'd appreciate that...

MississippiRed

MississippiRed said:
Oh yeah I went way back for Molineaux and Richmond just goes to show how long Black fighters have been around knocking knew you'd appreciate that...MississippiRed

Yes I do...it is rare that I met someone who knows as much about boxing history as I do. The few people that do are usually getting paid for it.

panafrica said:
Yes I do...it is rare that I met someone who knows as much about boxing history as I do. The few people that do are usually getting paid for it.

You mean I could get paid for this instead of sitting in this cube doing data entry...... yeah it's not as many real die hard boxing fans anymore I'm so thankful that my Daddy and Granddaddy introduced me to boxing as a kid....there's nothing like it .......... I appreciate and enjoy the boxing conversations we have in here bruh .that's real ...meeting more than casual boxing fans and historians is rare these days.... maybe one day we'll be in position to watch a bout....

MississippiRed

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back