Strong, I fight through rainstorms.
Tough, I fight through snowstorms.
I risk hurricanes and tornadoes.
I am independent.
No body tells me what to do.
No body tells me where to go.
When I'm not delivering mail,
I like to build buildings.
I like to smoke and drink in bars with the men.
I like to be rough.
I like to be rowdy.
I also like to be loving.
I like to be caring.
I like to baby sit.
I like to plant flowers and tend my garden.
I like to give away corsages and bouquets.
I like being me, Mary Fields
BlackCowboys

Although she may have been one of the toughest women ever to work in a convent, ‘Black Mary’ had earned the respect and devotion of most of the residents of the pioneer community of Cascade, Montana, before she died in 1914. In fact, Mary Fields was widely beloved. She was admired and respected throughout the region for holding her own and living her own way in a world where the odds were stacked against her. In a time when African Americans and women of any race enjoyed little freedom anywhere in the world, Mary Fields enjoyed more freedom than most white men.

Fields dressed in the comfortable clothes of a man, including a wool cap and boots, and she wore a revolver strapped around her waist under her apron. At 200 pounds, she was said to be a match for any two men in Montana Territory. She had a standing bet that she could knock a man out with one punch, and she never lost a dime to anyone foolish enough to take her up on that bet. By order of the mayor, she was the only woman of reputable character in Cascade allowed to drink in the local bar, and while she enjoyed the privilege, she never drank to excess. She was often spotted smoking cigars in public, and she liked to argue politics with anyone.
Mary Fields: Female Pioneer in Montana

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Black People : Too Serious Being Black Black People Open Forum 0
C Black People : I Have Shared Information That Is Qualified To Save Black Afrikans Ten Thousand Time Over If Only Adhered Too !!! Black People Open Forum 0
OldSoul Black People : Black Women Too Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : We Should Hold Our Black News Editors And Black News Reporters Accountable Too! Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black Education / Schools : Are We Truly Heeding Our Young Black Peoples Reality Checks Too? Black Education / Schools 0
Liberty Black Relationships : Are professional black women turned off by professional black men who are too independent? Black Relationships 5
Liberty Black Relationships : Are professional black men turned off by professional black women who are too independent? Black Relationships 51
OldSoul OldSoul : 5 minutes 43 seconds too Black too strong OldSoul 0
chuck Black Entertainment : Do Know About Classical Black Actors of the Theatre Too?!? Black Entertainment 0
chuck Black Poetry : Who Raps About Why Black Lives Matter To You Too?!? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 8
chuck Black People : Our Black Votes Matter Too!! Black People Open Forum 4
OldSoul OldSoul : The Brazilian carnival queen deemed 'too black' OldSoul 3
chuck Black People : I Am A Part Of The Black Diaspora In The Americas Too! Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : What IS Black Culture Truly Being Based On These Days TOO Black People Open Forum 5
chuck Black Sports : Please do support the black university of Missouri black sport team protesters too Black Sports 68
Clyde C Coger Jr African American History Culture : 'Walking while black' can be dangerous too, study finds African American History Culture 0
chuck Law Forum : We Need And Should Be For Real About Black On Black Youth Violence Too Law Forum - Prisons - Gun Ownership 1
Kemetstry Black People : BLACK LIVES MATTER IN ISREAL TOO Black People Open Forum 6
chuck Black People : Is This A Grand Bargain For Black Detroiters Too?!? Black People Open Forum 1
chuck Black People : Living While Black Too?!? Black People Open Forum 0
chuck Black People : Black Sisters Got It Going On Too! Black People Open Forum 18
river Black People : Our Story: It's Not too Early to Think About Black History Black People Open Forum 7
river Black People : Our Story: It's Not too Early to Think About Black History Black People Open Forum 0
HODEE Black People : Too White to Be Black Too Black to be White Black People Open Forum 0
RAPTOR Black Spirituality Religion : "The Ebony Exodus Project: Why Some Black Women Are Walking Out on Religion—and Others Should Too" Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion 19
CosmicMessenger Black People : Too Much Hatred In The Black Community Black People Open Forum 67
Kadijah Black People : Charles Barkley ‘Agrees’ With GZ Verdict, Says ‘Black People Are Racist Too’ Black People Open Forum 25
chuck Black People : Will It Always Be Black Vs Whites Here Too? Black People Open Forum 12
MsVeraisblessed Black People : TOO BLACK..... Black People Open Forum 9
Indigo Blues Audio Video Web Conferencing : Paul Mooney: Too Black For Hollywood Audio Video Web Conferencing 1
chuck Black People : Is There A BLACK Status Quo Too-? Black People Open Forum 0
Destee Black Sports : Nike Ad Rejected - Black Man Too Combative Black Sports 4
THE-GOD Black People : Are black people too "spooky" Black People Open Forum 15
Keita Kenyatta Black People : What is too black? Black People Open Forum 2
D Black Entertainment : beyonce too black and too Ghetto for sports Illustrated readers Black Entertainment 26
D Black Picture Image Gallery : Your son, can be black, and navy too Black Picture Image Gallery 3
D Black People : Betty Crocker is getting "too black"??? Black People Open Forum 0
D Black Relationships : National Black Marriage Day - Didnt Know? Missed it too? Black Relationships 2
D Hate "Black History Month" too...another view Honoring Black Ancestors 5
D Black history month let the greater society know that we exist well in Canada too Honoring Black Ancestors 1
Isaiah Black People : BLACKWATER DOWN... BLACK FOLKS WAKE UP...BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE. Black People Open Forum 3
Isaiah Black Women : STRONG BLACK WOMAN, HAVE YOU GONE TOO FAR??? Black Women 46
FINDLOVEINME Quiet Poetry Lounge : TOO BLACK FOR YOU Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
Keita Kenyatta Quiet Poetry Lounge : WHO SAID I WAS TOO BLACK !!?? Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 6
naija-man Black Poetry : TOO BLACK Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 12
Queenie Black People : Black Voters Get Too Little from Democratic Party Black People Open Forum 3
A Black Poetry : Beautiful Black Queens (repost) to let the queens i thought of them too Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On! 7
HODEE Black Jokes Humor : TOO LATE Black Jokes Humor 0
Senegal Black People : Am I Being Too Hard on Van Jones? Black People Open Forum 2
C Black People : Too Many Hands In The Reparation Pot Black People Open Forum 0