Black Sports : Tonight: The rematch of Antonio Tarver vs. Glencoffe Johnson!

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Jun 18, 2005.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Sorry for the late posting, but I've been busy of late. Tonight "Ring Magazine" and IBO Light heavyweight champion will fight a rematch against Antonio Tarver. Glen Johnson won the 1st fight in a close decision over a somewhat listless Antonio Tarver. It was an entertaining fight, and I expect the same tonight. Catch it on HBO.

2. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Thanks, bruh. I've set my reminder already. :D This should be a very good fight. I wonder if Roy will commentate this fight. If so, I know he'll get a lot of questions from Jim Lampley about his intentions on returning to the ring.

3. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Antonio Tarver outworked & outhustled Johnson for a well deserved victory. He is once again light heavyweight champ!

4. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Yeah, Tarver truly earned this one. However, I thought Glen caught Tarver a few times with some shots that hurt him, but he couldn't muster up enough energy/effort to take him out.

I have to give it to Tarver. His boxing skills were on display tonight.

5. panafrica

Ratings:
    +194
    Glen Johnson played the dangerous "wait" game, and lost. Expecting your opponent to get tired, is one of the biggest gambles in boxing. If your opponent doesn't tire, then you have to make up the rounds you threw away at the beginning of the fight. In addition, depending on the amount of punishment your opponent gave out, you may not even have the energy to mount a comeback. That is what happened to Glen Johnson last night. He had the wrong strategy. Either way, a third fight is definately a must.

6. Monetary

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    You're right on that analysis. Most fighters who take that approach usually get a lot of body shots in to wear down their opponent. I don't think a lot of body shots from Glen got in on Tarver so he didn't wear him down...especially since Tarver made sure he was in great shape for the fight. Also, Tarver moved. He didn't stay there for Glen to slug away at him, getting some shots to the head or the body. Smart move on Tarver's part. But, that's expected of any fighter. A fighter should move. smh That was Roy's problem...not moving.

I believe Glen's strategy next time will be a lot different when he fights Tarver again.