Black People : Tommy Hilfiger's Racism; Reality or Rumor

Alesha

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 23, 2003
Can anyone help me out?
I know that most of you all have heard the stories about Tommy Hilfiger, Liz Claiborne, and a number of other designers being outright racits.
Well, last night My mother purchased some Tommy Hilfiger sneakers and when she asked why I didn't like them, I quickly resonded "I don't wear Tommy. He's a Racist." Yet, as I thought about it, I realized that I didn't have any evidenvce proving this. Last year I stopped wearing Tommy, despite my lack of evidence, because the mere thought of supporting a racist (at least an outright one) made me cringe. I was wondering, however, if anyone had any evidence proving/disproving this issue. Did Tommy Hilfiger, or any other designer, publicly make racist statements against Black people?

Solidarity and Liberation,
Alesha

im_the_truth

First off, thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate your candor.
I understand where you are comming from and agree that buying black is the way to go. However, not everyone feels that way. In addition to the fact affordable Black owned clothing is hard to find, some people don't have a problem with wearing non-black designers at all. This doesn't mean that they are okay with supporting racist people. They deserve to know the truth about the people the support. And who is more equipped to give them that truth than people who have some level of consciousness?
In response to your question "who cares?" I do.
It has been my experience that "small" issues like racist designers often open up the floor for more significant discusssions, like supporting Black businesses, and political candidates. I posted this thread in order to gather more reliable information so that when I went into a discussion, I would have enough evidence to support my claims.
Once again, thank you for your response and I hope you can see where I'm comming from.

Solidarity and liberation,
Alesha.

...I really know nothing about the person of Tommy Hilfiger, but if I am not mistaken, he called up Kidada Jones (daughter of Quincy Jones, ex-fiance of 2Pac) and asked her for her advice in figuring out "the whole Hip-Hop scene and his role in it"....I know that really means nothing, but just sharing...:) ....

....I personal dont care for White designer clothing or Black designer clothing, because that are all a rip-off.....their stuff is just TOO expensive......charging $80 for a cotton shirt that costs $2 to manufacturer....thats highway robbery.....I dont "boycott" their clothes or anyhing, I just dont really spend more then $20-$30 on a piece of clothing.....hook-up hook-up hook-up :)...

....and I really dont care for black designers (Fubu, Phat Farm, Sean Jean, etc, etc)....because they KNOW BETTER....they are ripping their own POOR people off....I have no respect for them at all.....they say they make their clothes for the "urban youth" (which usually come from low-class families), then they put a ridiculously high price tag on it.....dam Uncle Tom's...:maddd:

O.K. Alesha, I'll try to help, though I'm probrably not great help. But here's some info about Non Urban Dictate (NUD). I don't know if this list is real or not but it was on the Tom Joyner show so I don't think it's fake.

-----------------------------------------

Barbara D. Vaughan
Assistant Director of Development
Atlanta Community Food Bank
970 Jefferson NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
(404)892-9822 ext. 217 (404)892-4026 fax

[Barbara Vaughan]

Subject: "NUD"

Thought this was very interesting and worth passing on because it was news to me.
Tom Joyner wants this information to reach our listeners.....

You have probably heard of "NUD" as a result of the Tom Joyner morning show related to
CompUSA. NUD is the acronym for a very subtle and little known marketing term specifically
directed toward people of color. NUD stands for Non Urban Dictate.

These three words essentially mean that a company is not interested in the Black consumer.
A NUD label means that a company does not want their marketing and advertising materials
placed in media that claim an urban audience as their main target. There are legitimate
reasons for companies not using urban radio. It may be that Blacks don't index high in
certain categories or that a company's strategy is to market to the Black consumer down
the road after they have established a strong position in their primary target.

But NUD usually means that a company is not interested in the Black consumer. Companies
evade discrimination liability by embracing it as theory rather than policy. As a service
to Black consumers, the Urban > Institute will list all companies that have a NUD policy.
Armed with this information, we feel that Black consumers will be able to make informed
buying decisions.

Companies with NUD policies:

a. Starbucks
b. Jos. A. Bank
c. CompUSA
d. Weight Watchers
e. Keebler
f. Life Savers
g. Continental Airlines
h. Northwest Airlines
i. America West Airlines
j. HBO - Apollo Series
k. Paternal Importers
l. Calico Corners
m. OM Scott
n. Pepperi! dge Farms
o. Ethan Allen
p. Busy Body Fitness
q. Mondavi Wines
r. Builders Square
s. Don Pablo
t. Lexus
u. Aruba Tourism
v. Ciba Vision
w. Kindercare
x. Grady Restaurant
y. Eddie Bauer

Please forward this information on to any other consumer that you consider a friend and
advise them to do likewise. Remember, we can't act wisely unless we are informed wisely.

Originally posted by Alesha
im_the_truth

First off, thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate your candor.
I understand where you are comming from and agree that buying black is the way to go. However, not everyone feels that way. In addition to the fact affordable Black owned clothing is hard to find, some people don't have a problem with wearing non-black designers at all. This doesn't mean that they are okay with supporting racist people. They deserve to know the truth about the people the support. And who is more equipped to give them that truth than people who have some level of consciousness?
In response to your question "who cares?" I do.
It has been my experience that "small" issues like racist designers often open up the floor for more significant discusssions, like supporting Black businesses, and political candidates. I posted this thread in order to gather more reliable information so that when I went into a discussion, I would have enough evidence to support my claims.
Once again, thank you for your response and I hope you can see where I'm comming from.

Solidarity and liberation,
Alesha.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back