Black People : Tommy Hilfiger finally clears a decade plus rumor

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Prizefighter16, May 2, 2007.

1. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    I'm sure everyone remembers the rumor about how Hilfiger made some racists remarks concerning who he didn't want wearing his designs because of their racial backgrounds. This included blacks, asians, umm....basically everyone but the caucasian race. Supposedly he had said it on Oprah's show, and was asked to leave by her, and then said it in an interview with Ralph Lauren on CNN's Style with Elsa Klench show. :gossip:

Well, I was watching Oprah today, and she basically put a stop to the lie, saying that it would be impossible to kick Hilfiger off the show being that today was his first time being on it. CNN had already made a statement saying that he was not on Elsa Klench's show either.

I don't know what to make of it all, a ten year rumor now put to rest in 2007. Hilfiger said that he'd hired FBI agents to investigate where the rumor rooted from, and they couldn't pinpoint it to a real source. Another surprise, Hilfiger donated 10 million dollars towards the Martin King Jr. Monument being built on white house land.

I wonder if I'm the last one to know about this. Well, if not, then you can read about it here

http://www.snopes.com/racial/business/hilfiger.asp

Peace out

Mz.Soulll

2. MarchoftheLions

MarchoftheLions Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1
    It just goes to show us that we shouldn't take every piece of information we read/hear, shocking or not, to heart without a little research and investigation first.

3. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Behavioral Science calls it a lack of 'Timely and Analytical Problem Solving,' where the Problem is a state of affairs that need to be changed by something or something.

KM

4. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    To go on national telelvision after years of a rumor to admit a rumor to be untrue does not sit well with me.
    When the rumor first circulated he should have addressed it than.
    Could it be possible that he is need of the black dollar?

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Oh my Sistah Heart - I didn't see it like that!

I should have been a better person of [discretion]. You do know that everyone is trying to get the 'Black Dollar,' since we are not keeping it to ourselves.

KM

6. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    I did!
    I caught a glimps of him last night on oprah.

7. Prizefighter16

Prizefighter16 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18
    His company did suppposedly take leaps to rectify the situation. Oprah and CNN stated that the rumors were false. But then again, it's like that question, "if a tree falls in the forest and no one's there to hear it, did it make a sound?" Who knows what was done. We can only regard the here and now, and see that it is now cleared up. I still won't purchase his clothes, but I do respect the situation being fixed. And as for the "black dollar", that is nothing new. Most companies are pitching to the "black dollar", even companies run by black individuals. But like I tell anyone, no matter how "alike" we may be in some cases, we're not stereotypes. Our dollars are just about as green and dirty as anyones. When it comes to marketing however, race does matter.
    :cool:

Mz.Soulll:spin: