Black People : Today Tampa,Fla will install 36 camera to view residential streets

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Da Street So'ja, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    we've have turned the corner
    people say if you have nothing to hide why worry,
    but i don't need everybody in my business either
    like when i go to the corner store to buy toilet paper
    when i check my mail
    and other little things, i don't need an audience

i know some cities in New Jersey have residential cameras too.
    call me cynical but days of walking around freely are numbered

just take note my people and observe what's going on around you

The Da Street So'ja
    Ready To Strike

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Hey Da Street So'ja,

I moved this thread to the Open Forum because it's not poetry and the other categories need your support too :wink:

I've heard of this being done, this camera watching us stuff ... kinda scary for sure. Hmmmmmm.

Thanks for sharing w/us.

Destee

3. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    So'ja

this is deep,...sobering! Keep telling the truth!

George O. was a prophet, thas all, Kemetstry...str8 up.

May we embrace our spiritual relationships much more seriously, because that will be the only thing to help us through what is and what is to come.

a

4. UbZoRbShUn

UbZoRbShUn Well-Known Member MEMBER

-----------
    Ratings:
    +1
    Street

so true so true. here in Atlanta, they are on the street corners of downtown. Not to mention every freaking building and oh don't get me started on trains. Some of those are needed sure. but all of em. and when a crime happens down here you have 6 witnesses with 7 different versions of what happened, when you go to the "video tape" some idiot forgot to turn the suka on, or put a new tape in it or what eva the heck they do.

5. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Da Street So'ja, this topic was being discussed on the Today Show this morning. Seems like I remember them saying that Tampa was the first city (in the US) doing this, but obviously I'm wrong based on what 'Zorbsh'n said. On the Today Show they had a Tampa city official and a member of the ACLU (voicing his complaint against). The ACLU man was concerned about what they are going to do with the images of innocent citizens they capture ... as they scan and check their database for criminals. Of course the Tampa official said they'd not be keeping the images of innocent citizens ... they'd be destroyed immediately.

Hmmmmm again.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Destee

6. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm not surprised...

They have gated communities and areas that are so exclusive (no blacks), I'm really not surprised by this. Instead of this country trying to tackle some of the issues that lead to crime, people would rather move or think that are moving away from crime and drugs.

K, you mentioned 1984. More recently in the movie with Will Smith I became even more convinced that we are constantly being watch.

We also have this car system location system. Though it may be useful when you get lost and etc, again, another to watch and monitor.

On the back on my driver's license is the magnetic strip. I went to buy cigarettes at a particular store, use to be 711 but now SuperAmerica, they scanned my license. I am well over 18 but their policy is to scan the driver licenses. Needless to say, i don't buy anything from this store anymore.

I wonder what information they get from this process and not trusting of it at all.

Big Brother is and has always been watching. Ask the Black Panthers and other leaders...

7. Watsy

Watsy Member MEMBER

Software Support
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big Brother??

There are cameras in certain areas of my city. Being pretty actively involved in what goes on in my neighborhood, I've learned that the cameras are there for a reason ~ a temporary reason.

There has been a tremendous amount of drug busts throughout the city of Chicago with arrests and convictions because of the cameras. They may not have been news-worthy busts, but busts all the same. People who were literally living in fear of what goes on right on their blocks/right in front of their homes~ afraid to do yard work, afraid to sit outside on warm summer night, afraid to look someone on the street in the eye are comforted when they notice cameras are up.

They know that it won't be long before the trafficking and the loud music and the 24 hour noise stops. They know that the police force is doing something about it.

When the area is no longer "hot", the cameras are removed.

So, with that said I must give the cameras a :toast:

8. Thandiwe

Thandiwe Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    Welcome Watsy!

and please don't think I'm attacking you.

I can see the benefits of having cameras. However, won't the trouble just move to another corner. Our country is building more and more prisons, the cameras allow used as a tool to do that, but they and we still aren't doing anything to stop the cause.

Sorry for this rant yall, our children are failing in schools, our schools are failing them, we are failing our schools, the government is f ucking us all.

someone pose a question on another board. they asked should upwardly mobile black folx move out the "hood" to a nice suburbs or something or stay. Most people say they should move, the crime was too hight, people stole what they work hard for, children would be safer.

Well, i tend to think that we are just moving the problem. Soon those nice white suburbans folks are moving into the our hoods, improving the land and buildings and making it unaffordable to low income. Therefore, the suburbs is now where the affordable and low income housing is. So once again, crime is just moving.

I personally don't want cameras spying me. I just wonder if we should be doing more to improve our neighborhoods, provide more and better opportunities, alternatives way to learning, etc...

9. Watsy

Watsy Member MEMBER

Software Support
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the Welcome!

Stop Attacking Me!!! Just kidding, everyone has an opinion and that's what makes us all unique.

You stated that with cameras, the elements would just move to another corner....most cases ~ not true.

I'll give you a for instance: Cameras are recording illegal transactions taking place; police are monitoring who's selling, who's the lookout, who's the delivery person; they bust one or two and tell them the third one sold them out and then make "deals" to get the dealer.

Sometimes they'll bust one, tell that one that the other one sold him out and wait until the **** hits the fan to bust the bigger guys.

It may not be a solution, but it is a start and I for one am glad to see a cleanup in my neighborhood. I grew up in the house I'm living in now and I know what my neighborhood used to be and what it can get back to. We have a strong block club and attend weekly and monthly meetings with our police district and other city officials to see what we citizens can do to help. You must remember that its not all up to the po-lice!! If the majority of people would get up and do something about their surroundings instead of just complain about it, the illegal activity would cease because the there would be nowhere for that type of activity to take place.

And yes, white folks are moving back to my area also and you know what? I AIN'T GOIN NOWHERE! I didn't run when the drugs moved in ~ I helped combat it... and I sho' ain't running cause the whites are coming back.

Watsy

:heart: Let us keep those families in Manhattan, Pennsylvania and DC in our prayers.