Black Spirituality Religion : TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by cherryblossom, May 2, 2009.

1. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560
    RECAP and CLARIFICATION:

I. When I posted in the Christianity Study Group sub-forum, my first thread was “Any Christians In The House?” I then went on to post other topics relevant to Christianity. However, many other NON-CHRISTIANS consistently came into render their views either ON Christianity or what and how their views ran COUNTER to Christianity.

II. Later, I realized that the Christianity Study Group sub-forum was, indeed, NOT a specific place JUST FOR CHRISTIANS but rather just one of several beliefs which had been targeted for a “study” open to all on Destee.com.

III. So, then, I decided to conduct my own experiment by posting in the other religion/belief sub-forums; and when I did so, I got almost immediate queries and opposition about me doing so.
    For example, the “Esu/Elegbara” thread....

But, THIS one was my absolute FAVORITE! (LOL!)
    http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58963

(Wow! So, how DARE, I, a CHRISTIAN, post in the ATR sub-forum, huh! LOL!)

IV.THEN, when I posted the “Kemetic Reconstructionists” thread, Keita Kenyatta was vehemently opposed to my doing so!
    (And this was FURTHER support for my little “experiment!”) LOL! *
    http://destee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58977

V.Because of the subsequent UPROAR about MY posting activity in the OTHER belief systems, this matter was even discussed in the BrothersChat last week. And Clyde came in to explain/clarify the PREMISE of the Black/African Study of Spiritual Belief Systems* forum which IS that each religion/belief system is to be “STUDIED” with the “GOAL OF IDENTIFYING TRUTHS OR WISDOM.

(WHOODIE-HOO! This EVEN MADE IT INTO THE BROTHER'S CHAT! SO, I MUSTA REALLY STRUCK A NERVE!) :lol:

2. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    VI. Then, So'ja came in and rendered HIS view on religion:

And it was THAT particular post that I referred to as “Exhibit A,” thereby inferring that views like his are diametrically opposed to having a “STUDY” with the “GOAL OF IDENTIFYING TRUTHS OR WISDOM.”

VII.THEN, Keita Kenyatta composed his two threads “Exhibits A and B” relating to Christianity.
    And all of that is how we got HERE.

FURTHERMORE, I posted an explanation of my behavior and intent, AND I also sent Nasheed a USER NOTE apology telling him that I meant no disrespect to his faith by posting in the Islam sub-forum.

3. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261
    sorry but

4. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Well, Miss Lady, I didn't find it humorous one bit.

My whole point in posting in the other belief sub-forums was to show some other NON-Christians the HYPOCRISY in how they had interacted with me in the Christianity sub-forum.

Destee.com proclaims to be such a stickler for "RESPECTING" others.

But, as soon as I posted in other beliefs, some folks got mad.

And THAT is exactly what I was trying to show. Everybody on Destee.com with different spiritual beliefs can't be free to attack one person's faith but then get mad if they comment on theirs.

The MISSION STATEMENT of that forum is to "STUDY" the different beliefs with the "GOAL OF IDENTIFYING TRUTHS OR WISDOM WITHIN."

So, how can that effectively and RESPECTFULLY be done by others who DO NOT BELIEVE IN THAT FAITH?

And, I wasn't even being disrespectful with my posts. All I did was copy/paste some essays, and folks came running in because I, A CHRISTIAN, posted in their belief sub-forum.

But, that didn't stop other NON-CHRISTIANS from posting their COUNTER views in the Christianity forum.

That behavior is NOT "studying to identify truths or wisdom within."

But, SOME people will try to excuse their comments as just "debate" and "discussion." But they have clearly indicated that they don't accept the tenets of Christianity and they don't accept the text of the Christian Bible.

So, my mental question was THEN WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN THE CHRISTIANITY FORUM?

5. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261

Sister CherryBlossom:

I apologize for laughing but I hadn't seen that until u posted it....

We all are allowed to post in any forum... even sisters in the brothers and vice versa.....

I don't think it really is an attack per say ...

I just think we are more interested in what you think... you..

rules are merely a guideline ....

some forums i don't post in..

when i first got here i posted in the meter neter and then i realized that i hadn't read it .... so i apologized and found my way out....

i've even had ups and downs here at my destee home...

i know u dig a lil deep into the threads.... but i don't know if u know but biologically my moms was irish...

i had to earn my respect here and we have all learned from each other ....

like Dr. Martin Luther King .. to judge by the content of character ...

and not white supremacist labels....

no one here criticizes Dr. Martin Luther King for being a christian...

we are all to the point where we are tryin to make his dream a reality...

because it's not.... even tho we have an african american president...

we're just beyond all of that and can see how religion serves to divide us...

even i had to learn .....

many have read the bible....

and we have no problem makin reference to it because most of what it contains comes directly from our ancestors.....

Br. Malcolm X was muslim.. and we don't criticize that...

it's the contributions that they have made and what they stood for...

and that is revolution...

evolving...

to the point where u love urself...

most of the people here are who they are and proud of it....

just my thoughts....

ur a pices like me, so we can be a lil emotional at times...

but better to be at peace......

inner peace.. and that comes with truth...

now i'm studyin hypatia.... and the only reason i know of she is because i read Br. Keita's book...

we should write the books...

re-create ourselves because we have that in us

6. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Sister CherryBlossom ... i think it was a wonderful experiment, and i appreciate you posting the results for all to see.

You're absolutely right. Folk want to attack any mention of Christianity, while insisting that their own life choices be protected from the same. That is not right. Unfortunately for us, the Moderating TEAM, it's not easy to moderate either. We've been here a whole long time, and the fight is pretty much the same, as it was in the beginning. I don't really know if it will ever be different, but i know it will take Sisters and Brothers who are respectful of the life choices other Sisters and Brothers make. To me, it's a very simple resolution to the problem, yet those who believe their way is the only true and right way, have trouble respecting the same from others.

it's weird. Otherwise thoughtful, patient, and loving Sisters and Brothers ... almost lose it ... in this area.

I've grown to believe it is inherent to religion / spirituality ... that very divisive energy ... and will take some doing to overcome in any collective way ... but i do believe it can be done ... which is why we keep these forums open, hoping one day, that each individual will give the kind of respect to other folk's beliefs, as they want for their own. Yeah ... i'm just hoping.

Now, as it relates to the Study Groups ... nothing is really set in stone Sister, regarding how they will operate. While they've been there for awhile, they've not been very active. If no mistake, i believe that was Brother Kemetkind's brain child (or at least he was an integral part of getting it set up). Those forums came to be as a result of all the disrespect shown each life path, by others not in that path. It was our hope that we could create a "safe place" if you will, where those discussions could take place without the contentious energy found in many of the Spirituality / Religion Threads. While no one had to be a follower of the said path, they did have to agree to respect it in a much greater way than was required in the main Spirituality / Religion Forum.

Again, those forums have not been very active, and we've not had a chance to really mold them into more workable solutions, giving us what we originally sought, and even more perhaps. I for one was very glad to see you posting in them, in the very respectful manner you did.

No matter our intent in the beginning, we may find as we proceed, that new criteria must be added, perhaps even new rules, requirements, etc., will be needed. That's kinda how things go here, we just feel our way, massaging a thing until we get it right, or as close to right as we can all agree on. Everything here, is really a work in progress. Everything. So please, don't be discouraged if it doesn't appear to be going exactly right, just continue to present the evidence, suggestions, etc., and we'll keep trying! :)

Also Sister ... some Members may be bold enough to question why you are doing what you are doing ... but you aren't beholden to them or their queries. Not really. Of course you're free to respond to them, just as they are free to inquire of you, but they aren't Moderators or Administrators.

When you do something wrong, that does in fact need correcting, the chances are great that that information will come from a Moderator or Administrator. That's what they are here for, and oftentimes, they lay in the cut, letting the Family work out the particulars of their discussions amongst themselves, as best they can ... trying real hard not to "babysit" the discussions ... but trust and believe ... if they felt a Member was in violation, or if a Member really felt you were in violation ... we have procedures for that ... and anything short of the procedure ... well ... it's short of that procedure and should be considered accordingly.

All of this to say ... you aren't doing ANYTHING wrong.

I absolutely love your energy and determination to believe what you want, and share it right here, in this place that was created for us all to share ... and you have absolutely as much right to do and be ... as anyone else here.

Just know that.

Love You!

:heart:

Destee

7. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Miss Lady, I appreciate your statements. But, I'm not "emotional" about it. I was just trying to make a point, and I'm aware that this is an "Open" forum.

However, there are some non-Christians here who vehemently oppose Christianity, but they commented in and on Christian topics and tenets, NOT with the intent to "study" them for "truths or wisdom within them" but to question ME on my beliefs or to counter my beliefs.

And I'm just not gonna play that game.

So, my little "experiment" was to show that they can't "eat their cake and have it too" and "what's good for the goose is good for the gander."

It's about RESPECTING another's beliefs. I didn't go all over the board shouting/spouting Chrisitianity. I kept my spiritual beliefs in that sub-forum. But, as soon as I posted in another religion/belief, some people got mad.

So, my question, again, is "How can we, constructively, discuss the Christian Bible in order to STUDY it for "TRUTHS OR WISDOM" within it when many of the same people discussing it reject the validity of it?"

Now, I'm just using Christianity as an example. But, the SAME applies to the other belief systems in that forum. How can we do the same for Judaism, Islam, Buddhism and ATR?

8. cherryblossom

Ratings:
    +5,560
    Destee, that really meant a lot to me! Truly.

I really just wanted somebody to see what I saw. If I was wrong, I would be receptive to correction.

Yes, the other part of my "experiment" was to show how nobody was paying attention to the Christianity sub-forum until I posted there. It was EMPTY before I opened it up.

And some of the other belief sub-forums had been EMPTY as well or had not had any activity for a looooong time.

So, I just wanted to show how some of Destee's member's only had an interest in those sub-forums because someone who adhered to a religion they opposed had the "audacity" to post in THEIR religion.

Again, THANK YOU for your kind words and your support in truly seeing that my intent was not malicious but just to shed some light on an issue that I observed.

9. MRS. LADY

MRS. LADY Banned MEMBER

to seek truth
    Ratings:
    +261

I appreciate you as well....

I don't think people got mad... I think that's it's just that they take the discussion very seriously, and don't want to be an experiment....

If the forum was dead before you posted there then u would merely be in there talkin to yourself...

I guess the best way is to just leave people in peace in their respective elements....

me u already know.. I AM HIPHOP... b4 anything...

I like when u quote KRS because it gives us a common ground ...

all i was meaning by getting emotional is that i've seen u loose it a few times..... defending urself when really u don't have to prove anything...

it's all just give and take...

u give lots of love in poetry... and u get love....

people love arguing and the threads that do the best is when there is some kind of negativity or arguing going on..

since i really want no part in that i just kinda fall back on it....

10. ang-EL

ang-EL Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +50
    Sister Cerryblossom I feel you. What I can say ragarding the issue is that religion is a touchy subject. And anytime one posts in a religious forum one is subject to scrutiny. You got to have a lining on your stomach and cast the very energies that will be placed on you back from thier sources as you have been. I have had simular challanges and they have served me well for one of the very purposes that I have enter this site. I enjoy a good healty debate from time to time....Jesus often debated with the scribes and pharasise. So thier is nothing taboo about it. We strenghthen one another, some times we even cut one another, but at the end of the day I feel we are serving a purpose....You know so I thank destee for this place to come and reason with the wise for my own apprabation and communicate with the ignorant for thier instruction...Peace