Black People : To weave or not to weave; that is the question...

Hairweave in a little girl's hair; cool or cruel?

• If it makes her hair look cute/better, weave it on in.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do something nice with the hair she was born with.

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • Depending on the look of the weave, it is sometimes o.k.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depending on the age of the child, it is o.k.

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • If it boosts the child\'s self-esteem or makes them comfortable, weave it.

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
Nia, I'm not sure I qualify to respond to this question, however it's interesting that you ask this, cause I've noticed a high rate of what seems to be, damaged hair of young girls by either perming too early or too often (I'm only guessing) and wanted to pose a similar question to the board about using perms in young adult's hair.

To answer your question, imho, I don't understand the dynamics of hair styling (thus the question I had) so I can't really form an opinion based on anything but personal preference and I don't particular like weave whether on young girls or women.

Thank you very much for your answer, ZeroGravity, and I do feel that you are entirely qualified to answer, as well as anyone else. You may have sister(s) or daughter(s), and even if not, you may have a daughter in the future or a neice, and I am sure you would have an opinion in such a case.

Interesting question you posed. I first had my hair relaxed (or "permed"), when I was 12 years old, only because my mother gave me two options: pigtails in middle school or go under the lye. She felt that I looked too "grown" with my hair "down", because it was very thick and full of body. Her answer to the "problem" was to use chemicals to flatten the heck out of my tresses and burn every bit of shape out of my 'do.

During another visit to the hairdresser (when it was time for a "touch up"), I distinctly recall flipping through a hairstyles magazine, looking for a cut that would suit me for the new school year. Would you believe the style was on the head of a white girl in the magazine? In retrospect, I think we ALL must have been out of our minds; the hairdresser included. So I maintained the lye treatments up until I was about 25 years old, then decided to be natural. I decided to allow my hair to be freed again, to become liberated.

It is a joy to look at and feel my hair in its natural state and know that this is the real me, my real hair (not a chemically altered version). I feel proud to look in the mirror everyday and see that I do not have to "pretend" to look a certain way, and can recognize an astounding and real and unmatched beauty in naturalness that I see not only on my own head, but on the heads of others who are natural.

i must speak out coz dis be what i know
to weave a childs hair takes da true beauty
and it makes her seem too old or simply headed for a
later self destruction , no it's a danger to F%@K a child
head up to the fact of weave what happen to the true
nature of our beings , I agree i've seen so many kids
messed up due to none care hair and da mothers just
slappin' som'em together they need to stop dis madness
let her hair of growth be ....my vote has been cast!

Nia, I just love the way sistas are wearing their hair these days. That natural "nappy" looks is da bomb to me. I realize that some places in corporate america is not ready (or accepting) of such freedom of expression and that's a shame, but I will piggy-back on one thing you said...

Originally posted by Nia Maishani
...It is a joy to look at and feel my hair and know that this is the real me, my real hair (not a chemically altered version). I feel proud to look in the mirror everyday and see that I do not have to "pretend" to look a certain way, and can recognize an astounding and real and unmatched beauty in naturalness ...

Every sistas I know or see wearing their hair natural does seem to be very proud and happy bout life and who they are...now I ask you, is it the hair or just their personality? LOL!

:cool:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back