Black People : To weave or not to weave; that is the question...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Nia Maishani, Jul 21, 2002.

?

Hairweave in a little girl's hair; cool or cruel?

1. If it makes her hair look cute/better, weave it on in.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Do something nice with the hair she was born with.

28 vote(s)
    75.7%
  3. Depending on the look of the weave, it is sometimes o.k.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Depending on the age of the child, it is o.k.

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  5. If it boosts the child\'s self-esteem or makes them comfortable, weave it.

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Nia Maishani

Nia Maishani Well-Known Member MEMBER

Business Owner
    Displaced at the Junction of Hoosiers and Bluegras
    Ratings:
    +1
    Speaking specifically of little girls, how do we feel about putting hairweave in little girls' hair (ages 10 and under), absent of their request?

2. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nia, I'm not sure I qualify to respond to this question, however it's interesting that you ask this, cause I've noticed a high rate of what seems to be, damaged hair of young girls by either perming too early or too often (I'm only guessing) and wanted to pose a similar question to the board about using perms in young adult's hair.

To answer your question, imho, I don't understand the dynamics of hair styling (thus the question I had) so I can't really form an opinion based on anything but personal preference and I don't particular like weave whether on young girls or women.

3. Nia Maishani

Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you very much for your answer, ZeroGravity, and I do feel that you are entirely qualified to answer, as well as anyone else. You may have sister(s) or daughter(s), and even if not, you may have a daughter in the future or a neice, and I am sure you would have an opinion in such a case.

Interesting question you posed. I first had my hair relaxed (or "permed"), when I was 12 years old, only because my mother gave me two options: pigtails in middle school or go under the lye. She felt that I looked too "grown" with my hair "down", because it was very thick and full of body. Her answer to the "problem" was to use chemicals to flatten the heck out of my tresses and burn every bit of shape out of my 'do.

During another visit to the hairdresser (when it was time for a "touch up"), I distinctly recall flipping through a hairstyles magazine, looking for a cut that would suit me for the new school year. Would you believe the style was on the head of a white girl in the magazine? In retrospect, I think we ALL must have been out of our minds; the hairdresser included. So I maintained the lye treatments up until I was about 25 years old, then decided to be natural. I decided to allow my hair to be freed again, to become liberated.

It is a joy to look at and feel my hair in its natural state and know that this is the real me, my real hair (not a chemically altered version). I feel proud to look in the mirror everyday and see that I do not have to "pretend" to look a certain way, and can recognize an astounding and real and unmatched beauty in naturalness that I see not only on my own head, but on the heads of others who are natural.

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i must speak out coz dis be what i know
    to weave a childs hair takes da true beauty
    and it makes her seem too old or simply headed for a
    later self destruction , no it's a danger to [email protected] a child
    head up to the fact of weave what happen to the true
    nature of our beings , I agree i've seen so many kids
    messed up due to none care hair and da mothers just
    slappin' som'em together they need to stop dis madness
    let her hair of growth be ....my vote has been cast!

5. ZeroGravity

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nia, I just love the way sistas are wearing their hair these days. That natural "nappy" looks is da bomb to me. I realize that some places in corporate america is not ready (or accepting) of such freedom of expression and that's a shame, but I will piggy-back on one thing you said...

Every sistas I know or see wearing their hair natural does seem to be very proud and happy bout life and who they are...now I ask you, is it the hair or just their personality? LOL!

:cool:

6. Nia Maishani

Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good question, ZeroGravity. "Is it the hair or the personality?" I think it takes a certain type of personality and frame of mind to feel comfortable with one's own natural look.

Every since I was very young, I have insisted upon having my own personal style, and have more or less rebelled against conformity. Not for rebellions's sake, but because I don't want anyone or anything outside of myself dictating who I be. Even when I was going along with the hair lye kits, I really never was satisfied whenever I went to a hairdresser. Invariably, after I would visit a hair salon, I would go home (or to some other private place with a mirror), and change it around in some way, to suit me better. My reaction was always, "wait a minute, this is not me", then I would change it to suit myself as much as possible.

And there is just something about having hairlocks that is even different from a simpler natural look. Many people want to "touch" or "feel" the locks. Certain people, when they go to touch my hair, send a cold chill through me, while others seem to give off pleasant vibes.

Finally, whenever one allows their hair to grow in its natural state, it is oftentimes (particularly in the beginning) a constant fight against those who appreciate conformity (and depreciate individuality), therefore it does in fact require a certain type of personality and mindset to stand steadfast for one's beliefs in self and in nature.
    Thank you for casting your vote, :toast:$$RICH$$:toast:

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    well understood but weave is a no no!!!
    be one self as a child

8. j'hiah

j'hiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +70
    i say weave it out :D

i'm lovin' the no make up (maybe a little at times) no lipstick,
    no fake nails and no weave natural look...

it's a lot of masqueradin' lately so i say leave it or weave it out :toast:

my fact
    jh.

9. Nia Maishani

Business Owner
    Ratings:
    +1
    Speak to us, creeper...

I just finished checking the voting results, and found that someone has crept in and voted for "depending on the age of the child, it is o.k.". Hey, thank you for registering your dissenting vote! But it would be nice to have a bit of an elaboration of your opinion. Is there an age that is too young? Is there a length that is too long? A certain style? Please elaborate.

Next, this may seem like a silly question, but what is the primary (or single) reason for opting for hairweave for one's child? Is the child herself uncomfortable with her own hair? Is the parent uncomfortable with the length or texture of their child's hair? Is it about following a trend? Is it an experiment? (I have a neighbor who is a cosmetologist and weaves in many different types of weaves into her 9-year-old daughter's hair--I am presuming that she is trying out various weave styles on her little girl).

Thank you for your votes as well, J'hiah and ZeroGravity.

10. ZeroGravity

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    I think most parents do things based on their own perceptions and not the child's. Or if the child ask for something, it is permitted only if the "parent" feel comfortable with their child having it. For instance, almost every newborn-1yr girl baby will have pierced ears...why?...because the mother thinks the baby looks cute with pierced earrings, or even worse, they think piercing baby's ears is what they're suppose to do.

Weave, perms, etc at a young age is more than likely initiated by the parent moreso than a child being uncomfortable with their hair. It is true that children are ferocious in teasing or picking on what might seem a defect (in their misguided perception) in one's appearance, but I think that parent's influence is a major factor in what a child's appearance will be.

It seems that most parents falls for trends in children dress and outer appearance than the children. Sure, a child would want to look like other kids (wearing the oversized pants, falling off their butt and exposing everything else) but I think it's the parents themselves that don't want their child to be difference. "Everybody else is doing it..." should not be a reason for allowing things in your control to happen.

I would be very curious to know your neighbor's answer if you were to as her why she weaves many different types of weave into her 9 y/o daughter. (I will bet that she would say something like...I think it's cute on her! lol! :)