Black Relationships : To The Sisters--When Mr. Right Comes Along...

Discussion in 'Black Relationships' started by Mike Ramey, Oct 5, 2002.

1. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    Now, it's one thing if a man adresses relationship issues to the brotherhood. And, I do know that there are women who read my columns on a regular basis to pass them on to their 'sistahfriends' to see what 'that crazy man' is saying now.

This time around, a fellow writer by the name of Diane Sears passed this matter of what WOMEN should look for in MR RIGHT. This is a strong sister who is a widow, a businesswoman, and has experience in the legal profession. Her words are far better than mine on this topic...so, I'm gonna pull up a chair and read this again...

It MIGHT enlighten a woman you know...

RELATIONSHIPS

D.A. Sears

© 14 April 2002

(Used With Permission)

Relationships are important. They are the glue that holds us together. And when women get together and talk, sooner or later, the conversation drifts to RELATIONSHIPS. The conversation always drifts to finding a “good man” – finding "Mr. Right." If we’ve never talked about finding a “good man” or finding “Mr. Right” we know plenty of women who have talked about finding a “good man” or finding “Mr. Right”. But who is “Mr. Right”? What does he look like? Where do you find him? And exactly what are we talking about when we talk about a “Good Man”? What is a “Good Man”? What does he look like? Walk like? Talk like?

I can tell you that it’s not about WHAT he LOOKS LIKE. Mr. Right may not look like Brad Pitt, Mel Gibson, Tom Cruise, The Rock, Ricky Martin, Denzel Washington, Shamar Moore, Avery Brooks or Billy Dee Williams It’s not about what kind of car he DRIVES. He may not drive a Bentley, or a Porsche or a Jaguar or a Mercedes. He may not even have any wheels. He may take the bus or the subway to get from Point A to Point B. It’s not about how big his bank account is. It’s not about how much money he makes every week. It’s not about the type of clothes he wears. It’s not about whether or not he is on the corporate fast track at some Fortune 500 company or whether he has a corner office on the 56th floor in a glass and concrete ivory tower otherwise known as a skyscraper. You won’t find him hanging out at the mall or on the corner with his boys and shouting out to you for the entire world to hear, “Hey baby, What’s happening? You sure look good!” as you pass by. And he won’t want to have sex with you on the very first date. He wants to get to know you first. As a matter of fact when a MR. RIGHT/MR. GOOD MAN walks into your life, you probably won’t even recognize him.

MR. RIGHT/MR. GOOD MAN won’t be hollering loud and drawing a crowd when he wants to let you know that he’s interested in you. MR. RIGHT/MR. GOOD MAN will quietly and unceremoniously walk up to you and say “Hello”. He’ll be polite and treat you with respect. He’ll treat you like a person and not like a piece of meat. He may start up a conversation. He may pay you a compliment. He may compliment you on your outfit or the way you are wearing your hair on a particular day. He is interested in your mind. He is interested in how you think, what you think and what makes you think the way that you do. He’ll ask questions. He’ll engage you in conversation. He wants to know if you’re compatible with him. After all, MR. RIGHT/MR. GOOD MAN is looking for a MRS. RIGHT/MRS. GOOD WOMAN.

MR. RIGHT/MR.GOOD MAN will want to be your friend first. By the same token, you should want MR. RIGHT/MR. GOOD MAN to be your friend first. Remember, it’s better to be friends first. It’s the friendship that’s going to get you through the rough times in your relationship, that is, in the event things get really serious between the two of you. And believe me, there will be rough times. But we can talk about that later. If you find that there is no subject that the two of you cannot talk about and that neither of you have any trouble talking about any subject with each other, well, the two of you have cleared the first hurdle.

MR. RIGHT/MR.GOOD MAN has integrity. His word is his bond. If he says he’s going to do something, he does it. And if for some reason, after saying that he’ll do something, he finds that he cannot do what he said he would, he will let you know immediately and will tell you why. MR. RIGHT/MR. GOOD MAN is loyal. He will not say unkind things about you to others. If he has a beef with you or has something unkind or derogatory to say about you, he will say what he has to say about you to you. He is honest. He will not play games. He is a man who has a sense of direction. He knows where he wants to go in life and he knows exactly how he is going to get there. He never stops learning. He is always interested in anything and everything. He is curious about everything and anything. When he is wrong, he readily admits his mistake. He has a sense of humor. He is secure enough that he can even laugh at himself. He is warm. He is loving. He is passionate. He is compassionate. He motivates. He inspires. He does not half-step. He gives everything 100%. You can put your life in his hands. And he expects to receive 100% in return. In his eyes, you are an equal partner – his partner – his teammate – and together you and he are a team. It’s either all or nothing at all. He will be concerned about your physical, emotional and psychological well-being. He will be concerned about your happiness. He tells you what he likes and what he doesn’t like. He tells you how he’s feeling and what he’s feeling. He’ll tell you that he’s not perfect, but honey, believe me, when I tell you, this man is about as perfect as perfect can get! You’ll never have to play guessing games with this man. And incidentally, if you are the type of woman that’s into playing games, then move on, because this is NOT the kind of man that you should be playing games with. While we’re on the subject, you shouldn’t be playing games with any body – man, woman or child – any way!

So, if you’re lucky enough to have a MR. RIGHT/MR. GOOD MAN strut into your life, what should you do?

Check your ego at the door. Be DEPENDABLE and not DEPENDENT. Bring an open mind, an open heart, and a sense of humor to the table. Don’t half-step, because he won't. If he’s giving you 100%, then you need to give 100% in return to him. Learn what his likes and dislikes are. Be a partner and a teammate. If you don’t know how, ask him. Learn how. He’ll tell you and show you. Be concerned about his happiness . . . his physical, emotional and psychological well-being. Be honest about your feelings and your expectations. If you make him a promise, make you sure keep it. And if you find that you can’t keep your promise, be an adult – let him know that you can’t and tell him why. Sure, he’ll be disappointed, but he will also know that you cared enough about him to be straight with him. Always be willing to listen to what he has to say. Be his cheerleader. When he’s struggling to reach his goals and he gets a little discouraged, encourage him to keep at it. Tell him you believe in him. Ask if you can help. You may not be able to. He may not want your help. He may even tell you that. But at least you showed an interest. You showed your concern. And that will mean a lot to him.

Diane Sears, everyone. She passed this on to me. And wanted the brotherhood to known that there ARE women out there who are 'spreading' the truth to other women...that THEY have to be ready when the right brother comes along.

Mike Ramey--comments welcome!

2. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity Well-Known Member MEMBER

System Administrator
    Ratings:
    +11
    What to do when one comes along...this is where we have the problems. We seem to be afraid of "good' people; can't trust them, cause we think people can't be truthful and trustworthy anymore; We often associate the term 'boring' to 'good' people; for some reason...we often think "they're too good to be true"; and for the life of me, I don't understand when I hear people say ... "(s)he is TOO good".

Diane Sears...thank-you! and Mike, thanks for introducing us to her.

3. Mike Ramey

Mike Ramey Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks, ZG!

Yup, Diane Sears is a keeper with this sage advice.

And, she's getting a Part Two ready for publication real soon!

BOTH the Brotherhood and the Sisterhood have to be ready to have quality relationships...and quality IN their relationships.

Mike Ramey

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    indeed we often lose sight on who we are and what we want
    in a true relationship ....see we forget to start it off as friends
    before we seek in now MR.Right has a kind , gentle motion
    but many Females talk and the question continue to come up
    where do i find him ???
    like Zero stated we always seem to be afraid of him mostly
    by his looks, what he wear now from some studies i found it
    that many females look into pockets and what they want not
    seeing the inside of da heart of this man nor how his mind works
    into meeting a MR.Right i've learned to watch his motions
    and feel his inner beings their is a MR.Right
    ladies need to make an over study to whats from their own heart
    to see a MR. GOODMAN this was very known to men as we see
    inside that she is yet ready so once again another MR Right has
    slip by without knowing it....
    glad this matter has came to light ...Thank you D.A. Sears & Mike

5. Solo

Solo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Tech Support for an ISP
    Ratings:
    +4
    This gets a thumbs up from me. I'm going to cut and paste and share (if it's okay). Good stuff.

6. soulsistah16

soulsistah16 Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    alot of women use that term of speech (IT'S TO GOOD TO BE TRUE) and why they use that because in probably previous relationship their men would treat them worng but was good in one way but now they have met this good men and he is just right to good to be true so alot of women use that term meaning that.
    holla at me
    soulsistah16

7. Regina

Regina Well-Known Member MEMBER

Engineer
    Ratings:
    +2
    Diane Sears speaks the truth! Amen!

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    I would love to split this to the sister forum for more views and remarks to this

as i recap it wow ladies need to see it

9. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    Good idea Rich........done!

10. watzinaname

watzinaname Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +122
    Well, I can't see anything wrong in this. A few parts in particular caught my eye, that are very important to me. Saying what you mean and meaning what you say....Yes, that's important and if you can't just say so, guessing games aren't fun. In fact, game playing of any kind is not fun, just a waste of time. I think if two people can communicate, try to be honest with each other, as well as to themselves, the relationship is at least off to a good start. Looks fade, and fortunes can be lost, it's more important to find someone that you truly like, one that you are friends with. When the chips are down, that is what you fall back upon. That's my take on this.