AACOOLDRE

REGISTERED MEMBER
Jul 26, 2001
Michigan
Occupation
Teacher
TO THE BROTHERS SHOOTING CRAPS
By Andre Austin

As Malcolm X was walking to a local Library he caught some brothers shooting Craps. Guess what he said to them?

Alex Haley was eye witness to this memorable event:

“One of my most indelible memories of the time I spent with Malcolm X was the day I was riding with him in his car and there was a screeching of brakes. Malcolm X was out the door, bounding to the curb. Before I could gather my wits, he was looming over three young black men who were shooting craps on the steps of the city library. Inside that library, Malcolm X told them sternly, people of other races and colors were studying the Schomberg Collection, the greatest archive of Black Literature in the world. ‘They are studying about our people’, Malcolm X admonished, ‘and the best you can do is sit out here shooting craps against the door. You should be ashamed of yourselves’.

What was so impressive to me about this-knowing what I did about the Harlem community-was that one else could have spoken that way to those three young black men without endangering his life. Yet they knew full well who was tongue-lashing them, and without a word they averted their eyes and slunk away as he stood glaring after them. I have often wished that more young black people would heed the message in that incident” (Malcolm X Remembered July 1992 Playboy magazine).

I always remembered reading this article Alex Haley wrote in Playboy. So when I started working as a substitute -teacher I applied this lesson Malcolm X was teaching every time I caught some students shooting dice in the classroom.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back