To My Granpa and Grandma: Precious

Discussion in 'Honoring Black Ancestors' started by RonPrice, Dec 17, 2005.

1. RonPrice

RonPrice New Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    YOU LOVED KISSING

My grandfather, Alfred Cornfield, to whom I dedicated this narrative, wrote a four hundred page autobiography covering the period from his birth in 1872 to 1901, his arrival in Canada. In it he briefly describes his wife, my grandmother, Sarah Cornfield. He said that before they were married she loved kissing more than anything else. My mother, my grandfather's daughter, spoke of her mother many times over the years. The following poem is about this woman, my grandmother, whom I never met.-Ron Price, Pioneering Over Four Epochs, 17 October 1998

She told me you were kind,
    a woman who was all heart.
    He told me you were no woman
    of the world, but you loved kissing.

I never knew you at all,
    taken as you were by cancer
    in '39 after you had raised
    your family and earned a love
    that was a legend in its time,
    at least in that small family circle.

Now that photograph
    looks down from the shelf,
    speaking volumes of articulate silence
    and a loving-kindness
    which joins our hearts in mystery
    from your kingdom of immortality,
    your glorious paradise,
    your retreats of nearness.

Ron Price
    17 October 1998

The craving to write this autobiography has been damned back, only allowed to trickle in the last two decades, but has accumulated a powerful pressure of urgency; I'm not sure exactly why, but a major difficulty has been to find a form, a process, a context, to say what I wanted to say. After a decade of a narrative effort, 1984-1993 and another of poetry (1992-2002) and resource-gathering, this third edition gushed out like a fountain in a period of four months. Now I pray to be carried on “by the divine wind of curiosity’s unflagging inspiration” in the years ahead in further editions. Perhaps it is a curiosity which, as Toynbee argues, has finally generated higher activities, a mind that has blossomed in a higher flight; a life-long communion with my Creator, a communion that goes back at least to 1953 at the age of nine, “like a light caught from a leaping flame,” which has resulted in this extended piece of prose I call my autobiography.

No matter how infinitesimal are the quanta that I examine, no matter the infinite magnitude and immensity, they all demonstrate infinitely complex forms. I’ll say a few things here about form, performance and the shape of this narrative I am creating here:

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    Brother RonPrice ... Hello and Welcome ... :wave:

This has always been my hope for this forum, that we would share our own immediate, closest Ancestors, with each other ... not just our most well-known.

It's been a pleasure meeting you and your Family.

Thanks for sharing.

:heart:

Destee

3. Monetary

Monetary going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Economist
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +236
    Ron Price

Nicely written speaking of your elders now Ancestors. Waiting on more. :D