The Front Porch : To My Destee Community Brothers

Discussion in 'The Front Porch' started by oldsoul, Dec 18, 2004.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
    To My Brothers

As we enter 2005, I just wanted to say how proud I am to be part of the Manhood of the Destee Community. The caliber of Black Men who have established a presence, a cyber-identity if you will, in this, the largest independent Black owned, operated, focused and centered community of its type in english-speaking cyber-space, is the finest I have seen. The teaching and sharing that goes on in the midst of the disussions, debates, arguments, chats, forums and raps in the various areas of Destee.com is the most enlightning I’ve encountered in over 40 years of consciously working with Black Men. The reputation of the Brothers at Destee.com throughout the cyber-disapora is that we are, for the most part, serious, righteous, generous, protective of Our community and strongly, clearly Black. We are the best lovers in poetry and prose, the most diligent in monitoring our internal behavior, and model the best examples of Black Men anywhere in the western world.

We have collectively participated in the foundation building of what could be a prototype of Black cyber-institutions to come. We have also come to a cross-road; it can be a breaking point or a turning point.

It is a time of decisions for us, as Black Men, as to whether we’re prepared to take part in leading this community to the next level or if we will allow it to be crushed by the weight of free membership who don’t yet know the cost of freedom and the value of ownership. If this community had a minimum of 500 premium members we could truly become the international community we have just scratched the surface of being. We need to make it happen, not wait for it to happen. We cannot take it for granted that if something happened to Destee.com and the community of works, arts and thoughts we have invested here, that we can just join another one just like the other one. There is no other one like this and, I believe, very few people who could or would be willing and able to commit and sacrifice what it takes to build such a vast community, especially when it means having that community erected on your shoulders, as Destee has done for us. We can collectively inspire, enrich and build this community to heights beyond our greatest imaginations, which is as it should be, given how powerful we are.

During KWANZAA of 2004, I am asking each Brother here to make a commitment with me to increase premium memberships by 50%, which means 1 new premium member apiece. If we all just invite one person to join as a premium member every month, we can increase the power of the community to reach and speak through/for/to us literally a hundred-fold. And trust me Brothers, we’re gonna need every independent institution we can build, align ourselves with, internetwork with, socialize with and have membership in over these next dozen or so years, (and we’re gonna need each other more than you could ever believe).

If you decide to make the commitment with me, just add Aman to your reply below.

OldSoul

2. OldSoul

OldSoul Permanent Black Man PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Staying Alive
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +976
  3. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    " During KWANZAA of 2004, I am asking each Brother here to make a commitment with me to increase premium memberships by 50%, which means 1 new premium member apiece. If we all just invite one person to join as a premium member every month, we can increase the power of the community to reach and speak through/for/to us literally a hundred-fold. "

Oldsoul
    This is something at the top of our minds as premium members.

" It is a time of decisions for us, as Black Men, as to whether we’re prepared to take part in leading this community to the next level or if we will allow it to be crushed by the weight of free membership who don’t yet know the cost of freedom and the value of ownership. "

When I first joined, the discussion was already taking place about membership. That discussion has been taken serious by many of us. Others I have witnessed worry about who gets enriched, and concern themselves with matters far beyond what is seen or understood about support.

Other black owned sites I were a part of became more corrosive in nature, started a membership and later abandoned it. They do meet often, at various locations like Florida, and Las Vegas but in pictures it is the same group of six to ten that spend all the effort to meet and participate. Too a lot of them only brag about sexual encounters and drinking.. that to added to the negative comments and gossip allowed at the site. I'm surprized it is still operating.

They are still small, but what they do is offer advertisement directed at their members. This I believe help offset cost of operation. This too has been discussed here. To me that would not be a sell out of any kind.

Limiting those who aren't members has been discussed, and that may have to be revisited. Some ISP's first offered free membership to users, then later made the use limited to ten hour. Those desiring more, and needing more paid the ten dollars a month to Netzero and others to access their network.

I hope that those joining as premium don't think that it gives them a licence to do things and criticize others because they haven't done so.

I will do all I can to encourage participation, and hope those who have do not turn against those who haven't in a negative fashion. ( Not a premium today is a premium tomorrow ) Lets just do what we have to even if it means limiting posting and participation.

AMAN!!!

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Amen brutha Amen !!!!
    catching a hand is my word and commitment .

5. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    I deleted this thread in the open forum because it was a duplicate.

Thank You for this message, and acknowledgement brother OldSoul...Aman!!

6. Sekhemu

Sekhemu Well-Known Member MEMBER

priest
    Ratings:
    +1,064
    I have your back on this brotha 100%, and I will do more to increase my own financial contribution. If any sistahs are reading this, please be sure to do the same

7. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161

If I may, allow me to read the heading of OldSoul's post...
    "To my Brothers"
    ....now, I ask, what part of that wasn't clear?

*just joking* ...do forgive :bowdown: me, ...just caught a moment of silliness :laugh:
    ...I'm down with yall.

8. Moorfius

Moorfius Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed
    Ratings:
    +27
    Amen-Ra

Hotep

May the Spirits of the Ancestors continue to Bless Us with the Light of (Overstanding) understanding.

Ase`

9. Tantrum

Tantrum Well-Known Member MEMBER

Pos Technical Support
    Ratings:
    +12

Aman 2 Infinity
    My Brother
    I wish everyone had this thinking
    I hope we can work towards this
    In 2006 My Brothers Much Love 2 All

10. Tantrum