Black Women : To Hell and Back: Confessions of a Black Feminist

blackeyes....Welcome to the forums! :wave: I've been trying to answer your question for 3 hrs but I'm having serious computer problems tonight. This is my THIRD attempt... :(

I can't remember everything that I had written originally, but I'll do my best to answer your question as best I can. Hopefully, this version will post successfully! :)

How has feminism helped Black women? Approaching this as a Black woman, I can respond to this question in several ways. First of all, the feminist movement (which was never confined to White women only) has helped to put issues related to women on a public, private and political agenda. Any type of "ism" is not good, in my opinion, because they are designed to oppress and confine people to certain roles and responsibilities because of a human characteristic that is beyond an individual's or group's control.

Living in a male-dominated society, women used to fare unequal treatment politically, economically and socially in America. I personally don't believe that women should be treated differently just because she's a woman. I believe that women should be "free" to do whatever they choose in life as should men.

There's nothing wrong with being a wife and mother, if a woman chooses that path in life. Neither is there anything wrong with being a woman corporate executive and requesting a tampon dispenser in the women's washroom or even a unisex washroom in the workplace.

The feminist movement has helped Black women to also gain better access to colleges/universities, broader access to career choices and college degrees.

In the workplace, the feminist movement has helped Black women to better childcare benefits, maternity leave policies, protection against inappropriate treatment in the workplace, even to be able to address what she might perceive as sex discrimination in hiring and promotion opportunities.

Economically, access to credit and the opportunity for her to build a credit history without the co-signature/approval of a man, right to expect equal pay for equal work.

Health-wise, better research about diseases that affect women and women of color, greater control of her body and freedom to enjoy being sexual, right to say "No" and not be raped by husband, lover or acquaintance.

Just a few examples of the way I see how the feminist movement has helped Black women. It has increased her chances of being "free" as a woman, just as the Black movement is (should be) doing because she's Black.

Peace!

Here's additional information about Black women and the impact of racism and sexism:

"Throughout African-American history, African-American females have struggled viciously alongside the Black male in the fight against racism. To their dismay Black women failed to realize that not only were they oppressed because of race, but gender was the key element for their oppression. Black women further failed to admit that the Black male played a dominant role in their oppression. Consequently , thirty-five years of Affirmative-Action legislation has failed to affirm the rights of Black women.

African-American women must begin a drive to affirm their rights based on gender. They must fight against sexism. When Americans refers to the Black race, they are identifying with only the Black male. Unfortunately, Black males are a contributing factor in the oppression of the Black female, stemming from the fact that the majority of African -American households in America are headed by Black females. Subsequently, Black females can no longer allow negative stereotyping by the music industry and television."

http://erights4all.com/now/pinellasnow/affirm.htm

What do you think?

Black females are also a contributing factor to Black female headed households. I know some women who got pregnant by their boyfriends, he proposed, she said no. He was good enough for her to lay down with and produce a child, but not good enough to marry. Many Black women now don't want to get married. They just want a child.

as much as we black females contribute to our own dilemmas.. the concept of coming together, what nnqueen calls feminism, is very important. I think she has spelled out significant reasons for gender support.
I have always had a difficult time with the word feminism.. it seems to lead to tensions and misdirection of focus. That may be a generatiional thing. But the need for women of color to exercise a collective energy is historically proven.
<caron>he question arises nnqueen when you speak of feminism do you speak for the idea of women as a tribe or specifically women of color?
It is obvious that you are not negating the black male and recognize the need for we as a people to focus together and act to as a oneness for us to suceed on many levels. It is refreshing when women support each other and continually gives me hope.

AAahhh deepy...great questions. Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your insight! :)

To me, the context of feminism has a broad meaning and coverage. Although white women have been prominent and influential in this area, a feminist perspective is not just about them. Believe it or not, you don't even have to be a woman to be a "feminist." It's true, I know several men who refer to themselves as such and no, they're not gay.

I'm opposed to oppression of any kind, yielded toward anyone. But the focus that I lean heavily toward whenever I address feminism here, pertains strictly to African women and our struggles. For those who are ready to jump on me and say I'm biased, what I'm talking about when I say oppression is more than abuse. It's deeper than that. It's about subjecting African women to a social condition that is politically, psychologically and socially oppressive in nature simply because she is a woman.

From my perspective, I don't think it will ever be possible for us as a people to achieve the full extent of our greatness without coming together to fight the battles against racial and sexual oppression for Black men AND Black women. This is the only way that our families and our community will ever survive whole and healthy.

For us to focus our attention only on racism will not get us where we want to be as a people. We have to expand our thinking to include how Black women are treated and viewed in this society because of her gender. Black women need to stop contributing to her own demise and understand how her way of thinking and behaving could and often does perpetuate her unfavorable condition.

For us to blame each other continuously for the ills in our community, will keep the slave boot on our brows. For Black men to want freedom from an oppressive society and not recognize how he may contribute to the oppression of his woman, will keep tearing us apart. Black men cannot raise up in society without his woman coming along by his side. If any one among us is not fully free, then none of us are or will be.

I firmly believe that Black men NEED Black women and vice versa. Let's stop pulling away from each other and start moving toward each other. Sure, we can mix and mingle with people of other races, marry and even have mixed babies, but there's something powerful about what is familiar between us that we lose when we're not together loving each other and seeing to it that we're extending ourselves into the future by bringing forth healthy nations of people.

When a Black man looks at me, I want to know what he truly sees because when I look at him, I see greatness! I don't want him looking at me through a white man's eyes because the white man planted that seed of hatred and divisiveness in him. I may be short in physical stature but I want him to see me as his equal on the same eye level and KNOW that I am NOT his enemy! I am his way out of a terrible situation. Black women can help lead a Black man back home where he belongs. But we have to do it together.

My humble opinion! :heart:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back