Black Short Stories : to chase a dream

dnommo

REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 19, 2001
Baltimore, Md.
Occupation
Teacher of English, Literature & Poetry
“I now pronounce you husband and wife…You may kiss your bride!” speaks the smiling preacher as hundreds look on the watch the happy couple embrace and kiss their new beginnings into existence. As the cheers and roars shake the stained glass windows of the old Baptist church, the couple turns smiles at the crowd and waits as the best man brings the broom. He lay the white satin covered sweeper on the carpet as the husband looks to his wife and they jump over it together. Without a pause they go jogging up the aisle and out the door to a sprawl of waiting family and friends who shower the happy couple with rice. The husband wipes the mascara-covered tears from his newlywed wife’s face as she receives hugs and kisses from the guest. The sun shining in a clear blue sky giving the blessing of God over their union. Suddenly two white doves are released and fly aimlessly over the gathering of friends as they applaud the happy couple.

“There goes another one,” whispers a slender built man standing across the street, “my day will come I guess.” The man slowly backs up behind a group waiting the bus as he keeps his eye on the happy couple. Pulling his hat over his sunglasses he adjust his suit coat and retreats into the diner door. Scanning the room he finds a set of seats open at the counter. The counter faced away from the front door but the mirror behind the menu on the wall gave a clear view of the church. “Hmm, no corner booths,” thinks the man as he makes his way to the counter. “This’ll do.”

“Be right with you Hon,” speaks the young girl behind the counter as she strolls by carrying meals for another table. Holding the plates in place with all parts of her arms avoiding near disaster of an elderly man getting in her way as he head out the door. She sets the meals down, leaves the check and returns to the counter. “Can I help you,” she speaks to the man with her back turned to him.

“Coffee please.” He speaks without looking up to see her response only to find that the cup is being placed on the counter before he could finish his statement. “How did she know?” He thought. As he stirred his cup slowly he glanced up towards the mirror to see the couple kissing so lovingly and then disappearing into the limo to begin their life together. He turns his attention to the cup as he closes his eyes to think back to the first day they met.

He was on his was to Dallas. There was a conference where he was to speak. His flight was cancelled so the airline booked him on another carrier. She was a flight attendant. He had been running through the airport to catch the plane so he was surprised to see such a smile when he stumbled through the gate. Their eyes met and he asked for his seat. A little irritated about the flight change the gentleman went to his seat and closed his eyes to block out the disgust. The flight attendant seemed to pay extra attention to him during the flight. She seemed to care about his disgust and wanted to ease his stress. He noticed that she would look his way whenever she passed by and he wondered if what he saw was true.

“She’s too beautiful,” he thought, “she’d probably think I’m a dog or something. It’s not worth the effort.” Reclining back into his seat he closes his eyes to fall off into a deep slumber.

“Sir…Sir! Welcome to Dallas.” Smiled the attendant as she attempts to wake him from his sleep.

“Thank you,” he replies as he gathers his things and reached for his bag in the over head compartment. Ho noticed that the plane is empty and he’s the only one left. The attendant helped him to gather his bags as she continues to clean the plane.

“Have a wonderful rest of the day,” she replies as he heads towards the exit wondering where the other attendant had gone. The he realized that everyone has left and it was just he and the lone attendant preparing for another flight. His discouragement set in and he accepted he missed his chance as he turned to leave the plane. Standing in the gate was the attendant with the smile. She looked to him as he stopped surprised to see her.

“I see you had a god rest,” she smiled to him as she looked deeply into his eyes, “I hope you enjoyed the flight.”

“Yes it was nice. Thank you,” he spoke in a broken voice. “Still a little groggy,” he thought to himself.
“Where are you headed?” she asked as she attempted to make small talk without showing signs of interest.

“To a conference here. I am speaking tomorrow.”

“Really? What do you do?”

“I’m a writer.” He replied. “How much more will I wait.” He thought to himself, “man just ask for the number and go before you’re late.”

“Well, I must go. People are waiting for me,” he speaks as he begins up the walkway.

“That’s it?” she replies. “Don’t you want my number?”

“Are you sure I what you want?” he asked as he stood facing the gate, never looking back. He knew if he turned around he would start another relationship and he didn’t want that. He’d been down this road before and he didn’t want the heartache nor did he want the complications. “Please don’t get me wrong. You are very beautiful and nice but why me?”

“There’s something different about you, like you wouldn’t try to take advantage of me. It’s like I feel that you would treat me like a person and not a trophy.”

He lowers his head and lets out a sigh. Immediately he feels discouraged about her words. “Yep, here I go again. Do I give her a chance of do I keep walking? I bet she’s gone through a bad relationship,” he thinks.
He looks up towards the gate again, tightening his grip on the bag and prepares to walk from the answer he knows she’ll give him to his question. He asks, “Are you sure I’m what you want?”

“Look, I didn’t mean to bother you. I just felt you were a nice guy and I was hoping we could spend some time together. I just got out of a relationship with and egomaniac and I don’t need another so if you think you all that don’t get it twisted. I just wanted to get a cup of coffee and talk. I felt a vibe and I acted on it. I’m used to guys coming at me but you didn’t and I wanted to know why. NOW I know…” She begins to head back into the plane.

He turns around. “Look that’s not it and I’m sorry but I…” He paused. Smiled and extended his hand, “Do you wanna get some coffee?”

She wipes the tear resting on her cheek and looks at him. Her tears stop as she takes his hand and smiles saying, “Please.”

A smile appears on the stranger’s face as he sit stirring his coffee. As he looks through the mirror he sees the limo pulling off with the flight attendant throwing the bouquet of flowers to the awaiting guest. He realized his purpose in her life.

“More coffee?” smiled the waitress as she stands over him with a coffeepot. “How about you tell me why a cute guy like you is all alone?”

The gentleman looks down at his coffee. He taps the side with his spoon, lay it on the napkin and looks to the waitress with a smile. “Maybe next time…” He leaves he money on the counter and heads to the door.

“When will that be? I’m here every night. Will you be?” The waitress says with a hint of challenge in her voice.

“Are you sure I’m what you want?”

This was real nice read...

I don't agree with baller(much love) because the main reason people miss out on things in life is because they are either too scared or their pride gets in the way. He could have been happy but to me it seems that he is insecure or underestimating himself....but again a very good read.

thank you all for the read...

actually what's going on here is the infamous Best Friend Syndrome where the nice guy always becomes the friend but never the husband. This is about someone who gets involved in relationships but then is always told that the other person is not enough for them.

think about it....

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back