Black Entertainment : To Be Or Not To Be "fat" or "phat"

Discussion in 'Black Entertainment' started by sweetbrownsugar, Aug 5, 2004.

1. sweetbrownsugar

sweetbrownsugar Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5
    What if a lot of these hot artists like Beyonce, Mary J. Blige, Alicia Keys? Were "FAT" -not "PHAT"? Same sound, but about 2-3 hundred more pounds? Would they be where they are today? Would pepsi give BEYONCE the time of day? or even a DIET pepsi commercial? What if she had this big greasy behind and did that booty hop thing? Would MTV air her videos? Would the FCC be trying to regulate? I mean instead of Lil' Kim... BIG (fried chicken drumstick eating) KIM? -spittin' the SAME lyrics! And Mary J would be...BIG MARY? -doing all the same dance moves...you know? putting it down like BIG MAMA did to "OH, HAPPY DAY" in BIG MAMAS HOUSE? Would people care more or less about all the DRAMA she's been through? And would she have lasted this long in the game? Fellas? what if today's hip-hop videos looked more like a LANE BRYANT campaign and featured heavier set women dressed the SAME as the women in today's video? Ladies, would you go to the R. Kelly concert if he was weighing 350, talking about "I don't see nothing wrong with a lil' bump and grind!" breakin' it down like he do! All that smooth STEPPIN" IN THE NAME OF LOVE would look like a...work-out? Would you watch "Girlfriends" as much if they all were the size of "Sophia's" sisters in the COLOR PURPLE? Is Big Beautiful or are we trying to be polite? Is the media just trying to portray what they think is a healthy image? To people who are large, or big boned are they being cruel? How would things change? How would you change I guess if being BIG was in starting tomorrow and some of these stars were really BIG STARS (weight wise) and the media portrayed that instead of what they portray today. Sex and skin seems to be in but what if the physical image of our hottest actors, artists etc changed and they were still sellin' sex and showing skin? Y'all can't be viewing and not respond now?

2. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am involved in Entertainment and I know my career would be shot if I was overweight.

3. Aisha

Aisha Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Welcome to Destee Sweetbrownsugar! :wave:

Sistah you are right, the entertainment industry is really hung up on being skinny. I think Caucasians as a whole are hung up on being thin. I think that if "we" were the majority running the entertainment industry that there would be more plus size sistah's on tv. Does any one you agree/ disagree?

Aisha

4. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    i agree somewhat but we do have some heavy women who are doing
    well in the business and making loot even at the size 16 / 18 but the
    high rank media and the entertainment world they seek the small 7 / 8
    the firmness and faces to do much of their promoting if these women has
    a great self - esteem sure they could pull it off

5. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    PHAT OR FAT?

Before I type my life out on how and why size matters in the entertainment industry, let me ask you this:

HOW MANY FAT MALE AND FEMALE CELEBRITIES DO YOU SEE IN HOLLYWOOD?

Think about that. Being a celebrity is ALL about looking pretty and making money. The white world adopted that while we were working hard to feed our families. When in Black culture did we take "looking good and pretty" so seriously?

Aisha, you should get big props for saying "I think that if "we" were the majority running the entertainment industry that there would be more plus size sistah's on tv."

Look at Mo'Nique, Jill Scott, Missy Elliott, and such. Especially Mo'Nique. She is Black, she is beautiful, and she does a good job entertaining our people in the black Community WITHOUT all the violence and swearing. There is no doubt that if we took the majority in the entertainment industry size would not matter. How many fat women do you see posing nude, how many of them are invited to pose nude? In Hollywood, being a celebrity is all about being a "princess." You come to our Black Community wanting to be a star, size does not matter. Also, know this:

No matter how much weight a sistah is in the entertainment industry, she will always be beautiful. Yes I said it, and I did not think twice before I said it. All our sistahs getting it done as a celebrity are pretty, and they draw crowds.

6. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hey, Fam

Hollywood, and the whole entertainment business period is about making money and marketability. There are many big women who can sing and/or have pretty faces but can't seem to make it out of being someone's powerhouse backup singer because they are constantly being told that they cannot be marketed. The masses, male and females, according to these shallow market studies that are done, prefer to see the "beautiful people" as I like to call them. I prefer to take someone based on their ability. Just look at Ruben Studdard. If he were a female, that big, he wouldn't have made it as far as he has. Frenchie, the big girl who was booted from A.I. could sing her butt off, and she had self-esteem to spare. They are loving her everywhere but Hollywood right now. She had to go to Broadway. Our society is shallow and some of our folks are as well. Unless you are a female with a fat behind, they aren't really trying to see fat on you. You better be "phat". Men can get away with weight issues more, but as one of the previous posts stated, even then, there are limits.

7. kente417mojo

kente417mojo Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +34
    I think it's a shame because alot of these people can't even sing. Ashanti looks good but she can't sing. Alot of these ladies and gentlemen can hold a note "live" but they have the abs and the booty and the looks. The studio will take care of the rest by manipulating the tracks to make them sound perfect. Jill Scott is the real deal. Lelah Hathaway is the real deal. Even if you are not big...the fact is you have to look certain way to be marketable. There are artist that are talented but may not be as easy on the eyes as Beyonce or Ginuwine.

8. MANASIAC

MANASIAC Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Technical Analyst
    Ratings:
    +38
    The Game has changed since the Martha Wash Days. You adjust or die, or you sit home and eat twinkies and junk food and complain that you are too big to get a deal.

As far as the wood (Hollywood) is concerned, I know that I must stay so fresh and so clean and so fit and so lean, I cannot make it overweight and wobbly. Even tho I am a filmmaker I still act in my films thus, I have to look nice in order for my films to get some love, it is just the nature of the beast.

However, I do not think the industry is shallow it is the consumer. In alot of these convo's we forgot that Hollywood (I can only speak for the wood) caters to consumer. So when the consumer starts liking fat people, Denzel and Don Cheadle will be out of jobs, so will Halle and Nia too.