Black Authors : TO ALL POETS...

I'm not sure how asking what your avatar means is asking for a justification.
I know what I think, what I wanted to know was what you intended to
communicate. and it's ok if you don't want to answer, but we are in an
Artistic forum so, I thought you might be prepared to discuss that kind of thing
also.. my bad.

What does it mean to me?

Well, I'm a visual thinker and I process pictures and words together.. so, the
avatar and the username became a single thing like this:

4201479119_d1019d459d_o.jpg

So, in this context: The picture seems to represent death or evil and the
name, when taken in with the picture, seems to represent the biblical version
of Hell. I thought that was interesting, that's why I asked the question.

peace.

Bless! If I said that the image chose me, would you understand that? Interesting what you got from "soulosophy" though. Everyone’s perception of any image, symbol or of anything for that matter is dependent on the degree of insight of each individual as we all cannot have the same perception. Perhaps we should continue this in a new thread on "symbolism"? or something like that. What d'ya think?

Love, Peace!

Greetings one and all,

I wasn't quite sure where to place this but some people, particularly activists, have a rather narrow view of poets equating them to be passive by only writing about the issues that our people are faced with (whether that be economically, spiritually, politically, socially, etc) rather than engaging in active revolution and thus such so-called activist continue to place blame for the condition of our people on those who they deem inactive.

Well, naturally, such views got me pondering and begged the following questions:-

- ‘what is the nature of a poet’s function – what is the fundamental significance of poetic activity?’

- Are poets enemies of society - seen as outsiders by the powerful and elite?

- In a society that gains its power through the exploitation of others, what is the status of the poet in today’s world?

Love, Peace!

Poety is the language of imagination, poetry is a form of positive creation- KRS-ONE 1986

A poets function is to BE - a poet - and create life

Poetry is a form of self expression bearing one's soul, and if another feels a poet is an enemy to them that is their interpretation

Status IMO is an element of the so called elite, and really has no definition in the eyes of this poet

Poets in Hiphop are spokespersons for GOD, and use their portion of GOD's conciousness to create-

Rappers are puppets for the so called elite as their "power" is determined by saying what the record company wants them to say, and therefore, not regarded by myself as a "poet"

Real poets will change and transform the world

Trained poets will do what they've been trained to do

Peace, peace

:)

Greetings one and all,

I wasn't quite sure where to place this but some people, particularly activists, have a rather narrow view of poets equating them to be passive by only writing about the issues that our people are faced with (whether that be economically, spiritually, politically, socially, etc) rather than engaging in active revolution and thus such so-called activist continue to place blame for the condition of our people on those who they deem inactive.

Well, naturally, such views got me pondering and begged the following questions:-

- ‘what is the nature of a poet’s function – what is the fundamental significance of poetic activity?’

- Are poets enemies of society - seen as outsiders by the powerful and elite?

- In a society that gains its power through the exploitation of others, what is the status of the poet in today’s world?

Love, Peace!

You my sister are thorough :)

Im repeating my answer here as I had stated previously...

As overly analytical as it may sound... I maintain that I myself am not a poet. I do enjoy to dab in poetry from time to time and openly confess to being poeticly expressive at the core of that which ignites my passions. I actually reserve the title of "Poet" for someone who I feel has mastered their emotive poetic expression to a life changing point. That life being not just theirs but anyone who reads or hears their words. Poets like Baraka, Dunbar, Hughes, Angelou.

Even on online forums... I can recall a sister who penned by the name of "Angelicsage" it was impossible to read her words and NOT leave imbued with a spirit of movement, another brother poet I came across healed with his words at a time I needed it most it was what brought me here to Destee.com. While its not a term I coin to every "poem-writer", "Poet", is one I respect and dont treat lightly in that same way that I can tear it down in a kitchen but I aint no chef.

However I do have an opinion and respect of "Poetry & Poets" and its with that mentality at heart I respond...

1. What is the nature of a poet’s function – what is the fundamental significance of poetic activity?

I've never thought of a Poet as serving a "function" per se. I view Poets as authors or writers who choose POETRY as their form of expression. In like manner I naturally presume their purpose is that of any writer, to relay a message. Whether that message is to heal or nurture or such as was the case of the infamous Last Poets, to ignite revolution. Fundamentally, I think most Poets manipulate language in order in invoke emotion from a society that strips us of such. In this desensitizing world, I believe Poets like any other artists, attempt to keep alive a the human spirit in all its brightness & darkness.

2. Are poets enemies of society - seen as outsiders by the powerful and elite?

Heck I dont know lol I can however see how they can be portrayed as such. The majority of the powerful and elite are such because of the stone cold tactics of business that got them there. Those who are contrary to that statement are few. Being a Poet usually involves a sense of affinity with the human spirit. Being powerful and elite often enough means ignoring said spirit and capatilizing on the logistics of numbers, priority, and exploitation. They conflict by nature so I can see how they could be viewed as enemies.

3. In a society that gains its power through the exploitation of others, what is the status of the poet in today’s world?

I'm not completely clear on the question here sister but I will say this....

I don't know of any new generation poets that have truly made their mark as Poets in this reality-show-computer-driven-lack-of-human-interaction day and age we live in. While even I confess to watching the young brothas and sistas on def poetry jam or an open mic night, I have yet to observe for myself (there may be those out there that I just dont know but speaking for myself) any Poets besides those of old who have and are making an effort to change the world with their words. Not just mere dabblers in the literary sense (shoo even I attempt to dabble from time to time) but someone who cultivated their poetic voice enough to call out for change in the economy or the family or the human soul for that matter. Those individuals, who's words spawn revolutions, and prose often find their print on righteous reading material, those are the Poets. There are many who will use the guise of poetry to attain notoriety of sorts and those individuals status in society is the same as anyone attempting to lasso the limelight. The status of a true Poet, in my honest opinion is one of a dying artist. I feel that's why in general when someone says "I'm a poet" the response is usually a pause. What follows the pause often varies but that pause... well its rather indicative of what a POET has come to represent isnt it? A blip in the routine of the everyday. But yanno... thats my 2 cents smile what do I know anyway :)

I do want to add though sister... that I fervently believe that no matter who you are or what your purpose is artistically or whatever the case may be we ALL have a responsibility - no - an OBLIGATION to the revolution, whether folk like it or not... ancestors blood paved the way for us. Their sacrifice has been our survival we owe the blood that courses through our bodies its due diligence. Be you Poet, poem-writer, writer, painter, teacher, construction worker, custodian, nurse, doctor, sales clerk, whatever... we are in debt & debts gotta be paid no matter what the artistic expression of choice. :read: :)

Bless! If I said that the image chose me, would you understand that? Interesting what you got from "soulosophy" though. Everyone’s perception of any image, symbol or of anything for that matter is dependent on the degree of insight of each individual as we all cannot have the same perception. Perhaps we should continue this in a new thread on "symbolism"? or something like that. What d'ya think?

Love, Peace!

naw, that's alright, I was just curious.

Peace.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back