Black Authors : TO ALL POETS...

soulosophy

REGISTERED MEMBER
Oct 21, 2006
Greetings one and all,

I wasn't quite sure where to place this but some people, particularly activists, have a rather narrow view of poets equating them to be passive by only writing about the issues that our people are faced with (whether that be economically, spiritually, politically, socially, etc) rather than engaging in active revolution and thus such so-called activist continue to place blame for the condition of our people on those who they deem inactive.

Well, naturally, such views got me pondering and begged the following questions:-

- ‘what is the nature of a poet’s function – what is the fundamental significance of poetic activity?’

- Are poets enemies of society - seen as outsiders by the powerful and elite?

- In a society that gains its power through the exploitation of others, what is the status of the poet in today’s world?

Love, Peace!

Greetings one and all,

I wasn't quite sure where to place this but some people, particularly activists, have a rather narrow view of poets equating them to be passive by only writing about the issues that our people are faced with (whether that be economically, spiritually, politically, socially, etc) rather than engaging in active revolution and thus such so-called activist continue to place blame for the condition of our people on those who they deem inactive.

Well, naturally, such views got me pondering and begged the following questions:-

- ‘what is the nature of a poet’s function – what is the fundamental significance of poetic activity?’

- In a society that gains its power through the exploitation of others, what is the status of the poet in today’s world?

Love, Peace!

I'll try to answer all these Questions if I can.

The Poet plays an important role in society -period.
Lets take Shakespeare for instance, now he of course was a Genius and is now read ALL around the world, now whether he wrote for the elite of working class poor, REALLY does not matter because he is read all over the world now.
So he made English Poetry some of the greatest literature read in the history of the world, because of the impact he made. 400 yrs later; no one really stops to ponder what class, or who was he writing for, but the fact remains , that he elevated his culture through his writings. English was not considered one of the romantic languages in European culture, but his poetry has romances, Revolutionary changes in writing(we still use the pharses such as Black as hell today, and " WHAT UP" and "catching a cold". and other aspects in his writing; and that's the true test of a Poet, how long and how deeply his art will have an effect on mankind-- forever. And this --IMO-- is the true purpose of ANY poet to be heard forever, and if you can uplift your culture in the process, by all means do so.
Poets sometimes may seem to be on the outside, but they sometimes become part of the elite also, Rap music is a perfect example of that, many rappers appeal more to the elite now than they do to the people that they are supposed to be representing.

Greetings one and all,

Love, Peace!

while I'm working on answering your question, riddle me this: what do you
intend your avatar to mean?

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back