Black Authors : TO ALL POETS...

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by soulosophy, Dec 20, 2009.

1. soulosophy

soulosophy Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +123
    Greetings one and all,

I wasn't quite sure where to place this but some people, particularly activists, have a rather narrow view of poets equating them to be passive by only writing about the issues that our people are faced with (whether that be economically, spiritually, politically, socially, etc) rather than engaging in active revolution and thus such so-called activist continue to place blame for the condition of our people on those who they deem inactive.

Well, naturally, such views got me pondering and begged the following questions:-

- ‘what is the nature of a poet’s function – what is the fundamental significance of poetic activity?’

- Are poets enemies of society - seen as outsiders by the powerful and elite?

- In a society that gains its power through the exploitation of others, what is the status of the poet in today’s world?

Love, Peace!

2. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    sister u ask some particularly relevant questions.... especially on a "poetry" forum....

1 question for u before i give u my answers....

is this from an idealistic point of view or a realistic point of view...

one love
    khasm

3. soulosophy

Ratings:
    +123
    Brother-King Khasm13,

Thanx 4 ur input.

Actually, it stemmed from having a number of dialogues with members of the Black Panther Collective as well as with members of political parties who have expressed such views.

4. decipherx1

decipherx1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +379

I'll try to answer all these Questions if I can.

The Poet plays an important role in society -period.
    Lets take Shakespeare for instance, now he of course was a Genius and is now read ALL around the world, now whether he wrote for the elite of working class poor, REALLY does not matter because he is read all over the world now.
    So he made English Poetry some of the greatest literature read in the history of the world, because of the impact he made. 400 yrs later; no one really stops to ponder what class, or who was he writing for, but the fact remains , that he elevated his culture through his writings. English was not considered one of the romantic languages in European culture, but his poetry has romances, Revolutionary changes in writing(we still use the pharses such as Black as hell today, and " WHAT UP" and "catching a cold". and other aspects in his writing; and that's the true test of a Poet, how long and how deeply his art will have an effect on mankind-- forever. And this --IMO-- is the true purpose of ANY poet to be heard forever, and if you can uplift your culture in the process, by all means do so.
    Poets sometimes may seem to be on the outside, but they sometimes become part of the elite also, Rap music is a perfect example of that, many rappers appeal more to the elite now than they do to the people that they are supposed to be representing.

5. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    while I'm working on answering your question, riddle me this: what do you
    intend your avatar to mean?

6. soulosophy

Ratings:
    +123
    Bless U & Thank U 4 taking the time to share your thoughts on this topic.

Poetry is perhaps a by-product of conscious evolution impacting the individual as well as society whether that is to pick up a banner or a rifle.

Not all, but often, poets in the spiritual tradition are seen as visionaries and the developments of poetic expression often go hand in hand with the unfoldment of consciousness and the development of awareness.

Change is necessary at different levels. As one progresses along the path of consciousness and development, poetic skills tend to naturally surface. So one can easily realise then the importance of the poet in their visionary role as the guiding force in any movement, revolutionary or otherwise. One of the most effective ways of achieving outcomes is to be able to create an image - a vision - see what it is you want to pursue, focus on it and persevere. The poet then can often see ahead.

7. soulosophy

Ratings:
    +123
    Lol, do I need to justify something here? :10500:

What does it mean for you?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your responses on the topic.

Love, Peace!

8. skuderjaymes

skuderjaymes Contextualizer Synthesizer MEMBER

Japan
    independent thoughtist thinker, context linker
    theory to application to discussion to percussion
    Ratings:
    +6,043
    I'm not sure how asking what your avatar means is asking for a justification.
    I know what I think, what I wanted to know was what you intended to
    communicate. and it's ok if you don't want to answer, but we are in an
    Artistic forum so, I thought you might be prepared to discuss that kind of thing
    also.. my bad.

What does it mean to me?

Well, I'm a visual thinker and I process pictures and words together.. so, the
    avatar and the username became a single thing like this:

[​IMG]

So, in this context: The picture seems to represent death or evil and the
    name, when taken in with the picture, seems to represent the biblical version
    of Hell. I thought that was interesting, that's why I asked the question.

peace.

9. Khasm13

Khasm13 STAFF STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +4,472
    1)a poets purpose is to open once closed eyes...the eye opener varies but the result should be the same.....

2)poets outsiders and enemies of the elite? only the eye opening ones......

3)too open eyes and give the surface dwellers a fair chance....

one love
    khasm

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I would think poetry plays a very big role in life's society today
    for it's written expression is better heard and people can relate
    poerty activity is like an celebration of active expression of da written word

poets not enemies upon society but more of a treat to relate upon
    poets has become a major force upon our society with a lyrical profound word
    that don't pose exploitation against others but more a fundamental status to
    real life

this just my own view and could be very wrong but it what i feel as an poet