Black Spirituality Religion : Tips on meditation?

Discussion in 'Black Spirituality / Religion - General Discussion' started by Ikoro, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Ikoro

Ikoro Well-Known Member MEMBER

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Shaba!

I have for quite some time now been wanting to meditate. To calm my spirits and just locate a safe place within.

I have postponed the pursuing of this activity because my nose has been blocked for over a year (the Caucasians will be fixing this shortly *sigh*)

Now that this will soon pass I wish to begin meditating. In the morning time before I go to work. When I am simply in need of some peace of mind, to clear my thoughts and to start focusing on a task (school or what-not).

My mentor was supposed to give me a introduction guide, alas, he has left the country and will not be back for some time.

So I turn to my community.

Is there anyone here that meditates, and has some good advice for a brother? I.E. what kind of incence to light, preparations before starting, what surroundings I should be in, what times are best etc. etc.

Many thank and much love.

~Ikoro

2. cursed heart

cursed heart Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +38
    This is a good question.
    I hope you get a simple and direct answer.
    I am interested in this as well.

3. I-khan

I-khan Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47
    my own personal formula....now revealed.

I prefer to speak of 'meditation' as a return to the source within so as you read keep in mind when it says 'return' I am telling of 'meditation'

I wake up before sunrise and lay down a few moments to get my thoughts,etc together...now depending on what you eat you may feel more sleepy, I eat light foods (fruits,grains,etc barely any meat for health reasons,but I will eat meat if I must) so that I remain light stomached and such.

I do not light incense simply because I cannot afford to now,but I can tell you that it will help in some areas depending on the smell.

not T.V.,computer,books,schoolwork,etc at least 30 minutes (my rule) before 'returning to the source'

eat a light snack if you must to calm your stomach and observe correct posture,upright but not like the military,just upright naturally,

quite surroundings,dim lights comfortable chairs, and no intrusions ie clear the home so that you do not get interrupted.

before sunrise and a little while after as well as after '3:00pm" as the sun goes down and as long as you need after is always best for me,

I hope this may help you,

htp

4. dattaswami1

dattaswami1 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    MEANING OF MEDITATION (DHYANAM)

MEANING OF MEDITATION (DHYANAM)

Some people say that meditation is sitting with perfect silence without any process of thought. Such a contention is meaningless because it virtually amounts to a nice sleep only. These people further misinterpret that such a meditation is concentration on formless God (Nirakara). Gita says that one cannot concentrate on formless God (Avyakthahi Gatih). The meditation of formless God becomes true if one concentrate on the true knowledge of God. Veda says that true knowledge is the real form of the Lord (Satyam Jnanam Anantam Brahma). Knowledge is formless. Therefore the formless God means only the true divine knowledge about the Lord. This is the correct interpretation of Sankaras philosophy. The great ancient Vedic sages sat in the formless meditation and this statement means that they concentrated on the divine knowledge (Brahma Jnana), which was expressed as Upanishaths in their mutual discussions (Satsanga).

The actual meaning of the word Dhyanam is the process of functioning of intelligence (Dhee or Buddhi) and this pertains to the field of knowledge (Vijnanamaykosa). Some people interpret that meditation means concentration on the form of the Lord like the light blue colour, peacock feather on the head, flute in the hand etc., Instead of concentrating mentally upon such objects, one can see these things in a photo or see the objects directly kept on a table. If these things constitute the divinity there is no need of concentrating on these things. One can attain the divinity by applying light blue colour on his own body, by putting a peacock feather on the head and by catching a flute by hand. Such a divinity can be attained without any meditation. So meditation becomes meaningless in such a line. This is the reason why Sankara discarded the meditation of a form (Saguna Brahman). Ofcourse attraction by such things towards the Lord will help a person to develop the attachment on the Lord. One may be attracted to Lord Krishna by such things and then finally get attracted towards His divine knowledge as preached in Bhagavatgita.

Such things may be initial promoters but the final is only the divine knowledge, which will help any one in his effort (Sadhana) to please the Lord. The divine knowledge resulting in the realization will impart a tension free peace and tranquility to the mind. By such state one will attain perfect health of body and mind and thus the benefit is directly seen here itself.

Ex:- If one realizes that this gross body of the soul is only the external dramatic dress as said in Gita (Vaasamsi Jeernani), he will immediately realize that these family bonds are only the bonds in the drama. The soul forgets the bonds of the previous birth as an actor forgets the bonds of previous drama. If these bonds are real the soul should have remembered its relatives of the previous birth. Such a divine knowledge on memorization enters the nerves of a person and he will not have any tension about his family members. He does his duties without any trace of tension. This is the salvation while alive (Jeevanmukthi). Thus meditation means continuous remembering of the divine knowledge which yields the direct fruit here itself. Such a person gets a fruit in the upper world also. The only one Lord is the authority here and there also. Anybody blessed here will be blessed there also. If one is not blessed here he is not blessed in the upper world also. The grace of the Lord or the anger of the Lord is uniform here and there. One who is not blessed here cannot be blessed there. Thus the true knowledge blesses any person here and there. Meditation is continuous thinking of such knowledge and other interpretations are either useless or of little use.

5. Ikoro

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Thank you all for for interesting pointers.

Much useful information here, although not quite what I had hoped.

Will use it to the best of my abilities.

Be blessed.

~Ikoro

6. Sami_RaMaati

Sami_RaMaati Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +244
    There are two types of meditation to my way of thinking. The first type I call "white folks' meditation", which consists of a prolonged period of reflecting on a particular theme. The second type of meditation, which I call "true meditation", consists of silently repeating a particular sound (or sounds) in one's mind called a mantra. This is done for the duration of the meditation and with the best technique is coordinated with correct (i.e., diaphragmatic) breathing. The mantra itself has no specific meaning, but it is the energy produced from its repetition that has a calming effect on the mind.

Other important aspects of meditation are as follows:

1. It's best done in a room that is clean and quiet

2. Incense is a helpful adjunct, though not entirely necessary. In other words, you can meditate without it. The type of incense depends on the objective of the meditation, the day of the week, and other factors, but don't let not having incense stop you from meditating.

3. Loose fitting clothing around the waist is best (you'll need slack around your waist for effective breathing).

5. A dimly lit room in a quiet area of the place of meditation (home, office, workplace, etc) is best, although when I first studied meditation many years ago we were taught to meditate in just about any environment (e.g., on the train on the way to & from work).

4. Sit upright in a comfortable chair with your legs uncrossed, feet flat on the floor and hands resting on your lap.

5. Correct breathing is essential. Breathe from the lower abdomen (below the navel), not the chest. When you inhale, your lower abdomen should be expanding outward and when you exhale your lower abdomen should be pulling inward. Deep, rhythmic breathing is a must.

6 Next is the mantra, which is a sound that you repeat over and over SILENTLY--in your mind--during the course of the meditation. Remember, the mantra is just a sound; it has no meaning. From what I gather, there are dozens and possibly hundreds of mantras, depending on which system of meditation you're using. The most well known mantra is "aum", also pronounced "om". I found "ainga" (pronounced "EYE-n-ga") to be effective for me.

7. If your mind wanders (you may find yourself thinking about stuff from earlier in the day, week, month, etc, or worrying about future stuff) don't panic and conclude "I can't do this because I can't concentrate". Everytime you discover your mind has wandered, just keep breathing from the lower abdomen and redirect your attention to the mantra. You may have to do this repeatedly, so don't let a wandering mind or seeming inability to concentrate bother you. Just keep at it. After a while you'll start feeling mellow.

I started taking meditation classes with the Ausar Auset Society (Chicago chapter) in 2000 after being trained in TM in the late 70's. Although TM meditation was pretty decent, I found the AAS meditations to be much more effective and there was no charge for the classes (Today the TM people charge around $1,000. Our classes in Chicago are free. www.aaschicago.org ). You really do need an instructor and a group of like minded people to meditate with, but hopefully this will help get you started.

There is a great deal that you can use meditation for besides meditating for the sake of meditating, e.g., achieving success, breaking bad habits, establishing new good habits, overcoming negative emotions, etc.

Last but not least, meditation is a great drug free, alcohol free, and 100% natural stress buster.

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,745
    read the metu neter

8. Ikoro

Norway
    Ratings:
    +320
    Ah, thank you so much Sami RaMaati! Great tips, will apply them as best I can.

Thanks James, got the Metu Neter on my shopping list along with so many other books. Probably getting it next month with my next paycheck. I love reading.

Thanks again!

~Ikoro