Black Sports : Tiger Woods & the Williams Sisters

Discussion in 'Black Sports' started by panafrica, Nov 16, 2004.

1. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    When are Tiger Woods & the Williams Sisters going to start winning again? Has their rapid rise to wealth & celebrity made them forget their craft (how they became famous in the 1st place)? It seems like since all three have got their long term Nike contracts, and become involved in their chosen relationships (I'm going to be good)! ;) They have subsequently stopped caring about winning. What's going on with them?

2. HODEE

HODEE Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    (RF) Technician
    ( Alonewolf ) California.. by way of the LOU
    Ratings:
    +795
    Pan
    I watch them when play when I can. Never the whole games. I have watched more Tennis and Golf since they came into the games.

I think Tiger backed off for a while so he could turn down some of the hate that was coming his way. He was popular, but not with the other players. I think he wanted to chage that a bit. He did get injured too. The other players hated to see him competing. He was winning so much I think he backed off, but is now having a hard time coming back. He also married that Swedish lady... He was in the top leaders last I saw of his game. He played last week I believe it was. I don't know if he won.

The Williams sisters right now are greiving their sister. I heard recent news where the killer and his accomplice may be getting off with the murder. Venus was cheated in France wasn't she. I get the sisters names mixed. Is Venus the older one? Or is Serena? The older sister was cheated. They both are also working a clothing line they started. I could be wrong too. Maybe they are doing as you suggested. Leaning back on the Nike contracts and taking a breather.

3. neon44

neon44 Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2
    I love the fact that *black* athelete are focusing on other things other than sports. Becoming more like business(wo)men and atheletes will help them in the long run.
    Also,
    Tennis and Golf players typically have low winning percentages. There are GOOD golfers who've playedfor years and only won 2 or three times.

4. KWABENA

KWABENA STAFF STAFF

United States
    Leader-Student-Teacher
    Ratings:
    +367
    Neon:

Allow me to introduce myself,

I am Cedric denson, one of the youunger brothas on here, and I just want to take this time to welcome you into the Destee Family!

While you are here, get to know the fam, because just about all of us are different, and are very interesting to talk to. Then we have Destee herself, who is pleasant and if you need her or any of us, you have us.

Just letting you know that you are family as of the minute you got your password, and you are welcome to express yourself on here in any way.

Your post on Black athletes was decent, and I commend you for that. I also look forward to reading more of your future posts and threads. So on behalf of the Forum, Welcome the Destee!

Peace

Cedric Denson

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    welcome to destee's sports world talk happy u join in upon us .
    :hearthis:

i think tiger woods in his last outting and was 1 stroke ahead are returning
    to his great play and seem after his marriage he can focus on the game
    look for this guy to peek and shine again , he took a more back seat to tone down the drama he was getting and many golfers kinda dislike the man but he's a winner

Now my sistas , the williams are really off beat i don't feel the fame has taken
    them down but to a different level of life i watch williams who had abdominal
    pain and her serve was slow and not effective she couldn't move which she lost
    the match to the young 17 yr old and move her up on the ranks to 4th i think
    once they get all the things that happen to them behind them you will see a
    quick return as champs look for them to recover between now and the next
    to matchies they play in .....I don't think the fame and shoe deal has hurt the
    play of any of them . :tennis: :golf:

6. Kelvin Brown

Kelvin Brown Well-Known Member MEMBER

Full time Internet Marketer
    Ratings:
    +1
    What happened

They made plans and life happened!

It is not that tiger is playing so much worse. It is more a fact that while he dominated the game. The others were forced to act or not act. The majority of the top players chose to taken action, and improve on their games.

They started training more, in the weight room. So where in part where Tiger remained stagnent, the others simply caught up.

He has changed his game. In the bigging hit simply hit further than anyone else, and took chances that other wouldn't. He now plays a more conservative game when it comes to distance.

Just my take.

The Williams sister's fall partly into the same category. The rest of the field has started to catch up. Strenght is now a major part of the womens game, were before it was still more finesse. The sisters never played what was considered a full schedule, and now with the repeated injuries, they have not even been able to get in a groove. Remember, they have never been the best strategic, they were simply more athletic, longer legs, getting more balls back across than anyone else in the game. But they make a lot of unforced errors. One other thing they have, is very little quit on the court. Whether it be down a set, or hurt, they play hard. Willing to go just a little further.

Venus, has the most trouble. I think getting beat by her little sister so much, hurt her mentally more than she lets on.

But more power to them all.

kelvin

7. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    I believe they all will be alright and come out fine in the end .

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    Ah, the Good Life...To Be Fat and Happy...Who cares about some tennis tourney??? When they can freak off, and party, and model clothes on a voluptuous chocolate body??? Oh, my, Pan, I think you just wishin' and hopin', my beautiful brother... :slobber:

Peace!
    isaiah

9. $$RICH$$

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Woods just won and Serena took the Australian title

10. panafrica

panafrica Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +194
    They must have been listening to my criticism!