Black Women : Tick Tock Biological Clock!

Discussion in 'Black Women - Mothers - Sisters - Daughters' started by Zulile, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    Who has heard the ticking, when did it start, when did it end?

"They" say the clock starts ticking in your 20's.. although some women never hear it, some ignore it, some medicate it, some hit the snooze button until it's too late...

We hear of women having babies in their 40's and beyond (although the vast majority who do are not using their own "equipment" as their egg supply has been depleted) and of course there are some incredible stories of 50+er's doing it the natural way too.

Does anyone feel the ticking is a time bomb waiting to explode? How much pressure does it exert on your mindset?

:heart:
    Zulile

2. Bootzey

Bootzey Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Don't Ask
    Ratings:
    +862
    Mine sounds like a giant grandfather clock and it's about to start gonging for the last time. Me, being in my late 30's and still hoping for children, its just not a good thing. I know women have children into their late 40's and 50's but that doesn't mean they should.

I have given myself an expiration date. Should that date in my carton pass, I'm just gonna forget about children and focus on hedonistically enjoying the rest of my life. And I dont wanna hear any of y'all advocating adoption. Especially y'all who (a) have your own biolgical children and (b) never done it your daggone selves!

3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,680
    I remember (years ago) feeling like i was missing out on something that i should be experiencing, that i didn't have.

My Mother was living then, and i talked to her about it.

I shared with her my concern, that i might be missing my prime or sump'n ... and she told me ...

"Your prime is where ever you are."

And that killed all that kind of thinking for me!

Destee

4. queentswana

queentswana Well-Known Member MEMBER

day care provider (own business)
    Ratings:
    +161
    Peep this: Your time clock start ticking the second the doctor/midwife or whoever give you that first slap of breath "in you". ...it's tick tock from then on ...well, until somebody slap the breath outa ya :lol:
    Now, huhh ...what was the question again?

5. free2b_me

free2b_me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10
    I GOT AN EARLY START

I HAD MY CHILDREN EARLY @20 AND 25. I HAVE A SON AND A DAUGHTER. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I NEVER HEARD THE CLOCK CUZ I WUZ TOO BUSY DOING MY OWN THANG. I DO HAVE A COUSIN WHO IS A SUCCESSFUL SISTA, OWN HOUSE WITH A DEGREE AND ALL THAT HOOPBLAH. SHE IS A GOOD CATCH IN MY EYES AND WANTS CHILDREN REALLY BAD. IT'S THE RIGHT MAN THAT NEEDS TO COME ALONG FOR HER. I SAID WELL, CUZ, IF YOU ROLL THE DICE, IT IS A 50/50 CHANCE THAT MAN WILL COME ALONG AND FATHER SOME CHILDREN WITH YOU AND OR YOU MAY EVEN BECOME A SINGLE MOM IN THE PROCESS. BUT HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT ABOUT A SPERM DONER? NOT THRU THE CLINIC OF COURSE, BUT JUST ALLOWING IT TO HAPPEN AND NOT TRYING TO HAVE SO MUCH CONTROL AT THIS POINT. SHE IS 34, AND YES, SHE STILL HAS TIME BUT, HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT KIDS? :kickball:

6. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    I hear that, Bootzey.

Some have the theory that this craving.. this 'biological clock' is a mental thing, to be switched off and on at will. that women who express a desire for a baby without near 'perfect' circumstances (man/house/job) are silly.. and yeah, you dont need a man, you can adopt (and things like that) as if the "mothering" aspect is what one is yearning, and not the pregnancy/birth of a biological child. hmmm. Some claim the ticking clock it is a seriously biological.. chemical.. born within us. That it comes and goes outside of our control. So much so that our bodies react to good genetics in a man, more than his character, and how certain phases in our chemical lives increases the yearning, regardless of personal circumstances.

anyway.. I also had my daughter quite young (21) and while I loved the experience and love being a mother - I never wanted another child - wanted to get my tubes tied at 22 (Doc refused)... yet here I am at 39, acutely aware that even if I wanted one, I couldnt.. and I dont know why that would bother me as I'd rather cut off my right arm before having another baby anyway :lol:

Zulile

7. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    retired computer geek
    Ratings:
    +13,732
    tick tock?

:thinking:sound like one of dem bombs to me.....

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    Ticking of the clock docs in da mind as soon as you can rest yeself on the thought
    not only do women drive a tick toc men as well , when that lucky number hit the clock
    tics and tics .......

I'm still rolling strong but i can see the end coming soon so i just rewind the clock
    and know once it hit 12 i'm done .

yes we have women who think this way too !

9. sweet apple*pie

sweet apple*pie Well-Known Member MEMBER

I am a student, and all though it is hardwork, it
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think for myself, that 40 is the latest that I would have a child.....but at 27 now, with no children...I am enjoying myself! Although, I do recognize that at my age, it is time to start thinking about the next "10 years" of my life, and hopefully that would include a husband and children.

I would love to have 2-3 children ( As LONg, as my money is right, and I can afford their little butts)

If you dont have kids....dont fret....their over-rated anyway! HA HA HA...after 10 yrs old, their not nearly as cute anymore!!

I'M PLAYIN!!!

10. free2b_me

free2b_me Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10

MEN CAN ALWAYS START A FAMILY AT ANY AGE..:10400: