thread "hijacking"

Discussion in 'Tech Support - Questions - Suggestions' started by anAfrican, Dec 10, 2008.

1. anAfrican

anAfrican Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    The Meek !Shall! Inherit the Earth.
    Ratings:
    +745
    sometimes, it is not, quite, "hijacking". rather it is further "refining" discussion surrounding the thread topic.

sometimes, of course, it is "hijacking" particularly when it leads to an almost "acrimonious" back and forth that continues "discussion" from other threads. ("problem solving 101" took exception to a perceived slight that seemed more like "seeking to clarify/understand ground rules" that seemed to a poster to be helpful for that poster to a continuation of another thread. "an open letter ..." re-opened another repeated topic of the House, but seems to be getting back on track.)

i would ask/suggest three things:

1. that the "gloves off" thread that i started for having some place to "duke it out" be moved from the brothers' forum to the open forum. (and possibly make it "sticky" so that it is easier to find?)

2. that (sorry; more work for the Team) "hijackings" that seem to be "thoroughly entrenched" (does that mean one full page? two full pages? two complete response cycles? three?) be moved to the "gloves off" thread.

3. that when folks feel like they got a "beef", to respectfully invite the object of their "beef" over to the "gloves off" thread for a "discussion" of the "issue".

2. PurpleMoons

PurpleMoons Administrator STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Brother anAfrican,

Thank you for the above. While we don't have a rule on "hijacking" threads, we will consider all that you've shared, implementing the parts of it that will work for us.

For the record though, most every discussion goes into directions no one ever guessed it would! That's the beauty of the freedom we have here, to speak on whatever comes to our hearts, that may be relevant to us, while others think otherwise.

All i can tell you at this point though, is to skip over the posts in a thread that you are not interested in, and focus on the ones you'd like to comment or listen in on.

:heart:

3. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

PurpleMoons,

anAfrican communicated some good points toward settling what are clearly, in some cases, written/verbal altercations. And it is good to see that Administration agrees to consider most of what he submitted. All this in view of what you so clearly articulate as the beauty of the Site, which is to allow a variety of views into the forums.

This dispute is hard to mediate, but I sense a real team effort at work in this thread, and my hat is tipped to you both.

4. 360

360 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +148
    I think there's a difference between the normal flow of a discussion and a discussion either being derailed or dragged into the gutter. I would think that promoting healthy discussion and establishing certain standards is what this space is about, but I am a NEWB so what do I know.

5. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa and Truth!

A lot, you know a lot 360(Full Circle), lol...you ain't fooling me:)...Welcome to Destee.com , and make yourself at home, because you are...Peace In.

6. cherryblossom

cherryblossom Banned MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5,560

Hello, 360 and Welcome! :wave:

I so agree with your comment!...Yes, some veering off or a side-bar or just normal, logical discussion progression is sometimes expected. Different ideas presented to one topic can, in turn, pose yet another set of questions/answers, sometimes causing 2 or more separate discussions going on in the same thread (until one or more peters out).

But, when a poster enters a thread and makes a comment or question that is totally unrelated to the topic in any way or interjects his/her thoughts from another thread into the current one, that, IMO, is "Thread Hi-Jacking."

When a poster attempts to continue a debate from another thread in a subject that is not related to the former, that, IMO, is "Thread Hi-Jacking."

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. forum thread hijacking