Black People : Thoughts on Unstyled Kinky hair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaklioness said:
And just where might the Black woman have picked up the idea that something was wrong with her natural hair in the first place? Who was and is supposed to be PROTECTING Black children (especially females) from such attacks? I remember traveling to Ghana and seeing TONS of Black women all over that country with perm damaged heads. Hair perming and skin lightening ads in a country controlled by Black men....who is sending the approval signals? Don't get me wrong, I do understand what you are saying and agree...but you brothers betta recognize.

That's why we should not be made a fool by OUR OWN (not talking about non-blacks), but OUR OWN when we go out with our 100% natural hair.

Neither should us who are young especially feel ashamed if we decide to wear turbans or scarves... especially if they are of African print.

Blaklioness said:
And just where might the Black woman have picked up the idea that something was wrong with her natural hair in the first place? Who was and is supposed to be PROTECTING Black children (especially females) from such attacks? I remember traveling to Ghana and seeing TONS of Black women all over that country with perm damaged heads. Hair perming and skin lightening ads in a country controlled by Black men....who is sending the approval signals? Don't get me wrong, I do understand what you are saying and agree...but you brothers betta recognize.

I don't want to underestimate the importance of the issue, because it is of immense importance to black women. Indeed the hair issue is of such great importance to many black women, that it is a contributing factor on who they choose to have children with. However there is no amount of assurance in the world that can convince a woman she is beautiful, iwhen she has already determined that she is not. There are also enough images of black women with natural hair, to let them know that straight or colored hair is not necessary to attract a man.

karmashines said:
I find it interesting individuals that encourage the black women who are not the beauty queens, who go outside with unstyled, natural black hair, who are FAT, etc. to just say "accept yourselves," all the while having mates on their arms that ARE the beauty queens.

Sister, this is so on point!! I wonder about this too, telling Black women to just be their natural born selves in every way--FAT and everything else, and to just accept themselves, but notice who the majority of men are always trying to hit on and notice the "eye candy" that the men have on their own arms or are trying to next to.

panafrica said:
I don't want to underestimate the importance of the issue, because it is of immense importance to black women. Indeed the hair issue is of such great importance to many black women, that it is a contributing factor on who they choose to have children with. However there is no amount of convincing in the world that can convince a woman she is beautiful, if she has already determined she is not. There are also enough images of black women with natural hair, to let them know that straight or colored hair is not necessary to attract a man.

I understand. My point is not that Black women don't have hair esteem (and should subsequently be let off the hook) issues but that those issues are ROOTED outside of us. You can't discuss a problem without discussing the "root" of that problem as well as what sustains that problem. If you have Black women who are training generations of Black children to reject God/dess' hair, then you have to ask why and what can be done to bring an end to that problem (because it is indeed a problem)....it's only logical.

panafrica said:
It is pretty obvious that black women's hair esteem issues is centered on living in a society which considers White-European women (straight hair, light skin, and light eyes) as the standard of beauty. However I believe much like Isaiah stated that sisters place more pressure on themselves to match this ideal than brothers do. It has been my experience that no amount of compliments and assurances in the world will make a woman feel satisfied with herself, unless she is secure in her own beauty.

Thank you, brother, that is precisely my point...

As for you, Ms. Softly, brothers are saying these things to you because brothers have been TRAINED and SOCIALIZED and INDOCTRINATED just as sisters have been trained and indoctrinated... It is NOT based on their real likes and dislikes, but what they perceive as their likes and dislikes... I bet that if sisters ALL wore their hair natural, brothers would begin to LOVE them so natural hair wearing sisters... Our HORMONES dicatate that we, as brother Omowale says, ADAPT OR DIE - as in don't git none...(smile!) Yes, it really is that simple, so y'all need to stop making all of these excuses, and do what you feel is right for YOU, not everybody else... Brothers don't seem to need no permission to wear their hair anyway they choose...

Peace!
Isaiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back