Black People : Thoughts on Unstyled Kinky hair

Status
Not open for further replies.

karmashines

REGISTERED MEMBER
Feb 26, 2005
Questions to ponder:

1) If you saw one of our woman with her hair that was kinky and unstyled, would you think she was crazy?

2) If that woman put a turban on her head to cover up her hair, would you think she was being too old, especially if she was in her 20s or so?

3) If a black woman was in any way against your own views of blackness, (and for this I will use it in a genetic context thank you), and actually had the audacity to put on clothing with African print, would you think she's being crazy?

Please note these are just QUESTIONS. I want more honest answers, particularly from those who promote us getting more in touch with our blackness.

karmashines said:
Questions to ponder:

1) If you saw one of our woman with her hair that was kinky and unstyled, would you think she was crazy?

2) If that woman put a turban on her head to cover up her hair, would you think she was being too old, especially if she was in her 20s or so?

3) If a black woman was in any way against your own views of blackness, (and for this I will use it in a genetic context thank you), and actually had the audacity to put on clothing with African print, would you think she's being crazy?

Please note these are just QUESTIONS. I want more honest answers, particularly from those who promote us getting more in touch with our blackness.

I guess by unstyled, you mean it's not in a fro or dreaded or twisted. No, I wouldn't think she's crazy, I would think she's her own person. She'd better be her own person if she's around other Black folks because so many Blacks, depending on age, will begin to make comments or snicker.

About turbans, I sometimes see Black women wearing colorful head wraps a la African style sometimes casually or sometimes to match an outfit. I've worn them myself for convenience and for style or if it's cold and I don't want to wear a hat.

Not sure what you mean by your 3rd question.

This is another one of those sticky issues, even political, issues for Black women, especially. Most Black women have never felt comfortable with just washing and wearing our hair--like white women for ex. I've always noticed how white women can just get out of the swimming pool or shower and just let their hair dry naturally and then they're ready to go,. For Black women, we don't go anywhere until we get that hair tame :lol: again. Some Black women won't get in a swimming pool because of the hair thing.

Why can't Black women just let our hair dry naturally and just go? I mean we could do that, but I can just imagine all the negative comments and possible problems if we did that.

Black natural hair and Black creative hairstyles are threatening to some white people, but it also makes some Black people very uncomfortable. In my experience, Black people pay way too much attention to each others hair. We ought to support each other wearing our hair any way we want as long as it's clean and neat.

That's why I had said a couple of weeks ago on here that Black women need to start a "hair out" day one day a month when we just wear our hair any way we want. Then soon, we could add on another day and another day and pretty soon, we might get hair freedom.

Ladies, this is going to sound harsh, but understand it in the spirit in which I say it...

STOP THIS OVER MUCH CONCERN WITH HOW OTHERS FEEL ABOUT YOU!

It is as though your opinions about yourselves are MEANINGLESS... If you feel that way about yourselves, then others CAINT help you... Fact is, others don't be paying you no mind most of the time... They're too caught up in their own insecurities...

Now, let me hit you with the bomb of all bombs. The hardest people on Black Hair are BLACK WOMEN THEMSELVES... BLACK WOMEN criticize BLACK HAIR way more than do Black Men, and certainly most others... And I have that on the word of several women I know who do wear their hair quite natural...

Peace!
Isaiah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back