river

Watch Her Flow
REGISTERED MEMBER
Mar 22, 2004
Where the Niger meets the Nile
Occupation
Author
Hey sistas
Do you read Essence Magazine? Is it basically an entertainment mag or would it be an appropriate place to submit a story likeStill Waters Run Deep?

I have been encouraged to make it more widely available and Essence has a large readership but do they deal with things like this?

To me, Essence tries to be all things to all Black women. That is annoying because they never get it right. Showing 3 pages of fashin does not make you a fashion magazine, or having an article on finance does not make you a financial publication. Essence needs to focus on what it is that it wants to be. Black women have more representation in magazines than they did 40 years ago and will not patronize Essence 'just because'. If the want to stay in the running they are gonna need to handle their business.

Gee sis Bootz.

I been thinking I'd do well to send this to a parenting magazine anyway. I want to avoid sensationalism which an emphasis on entertainment seems to suggest. My only reson for wanting to publish this story is because I think it will help someone. I posted here because I thought Essence would be popular with yawl and you could give me an idea of what you are looking for. .

Hello River...

I have been subscribing to Essence since 2002. Most of the stories/articles I’ve read are from famous people. I kind of lost interest in reading it, because they’ve seem to have eased white models in and so much advertisement. I skim through the pages and then drop them off at the nearest nursing home and pass some of them to my sister to read. Actually I’ve been contemplating canceling my subscription.

A parenting mag. sounds good. What about a community newspaper?

Whatever direction you take I wish you much success with it.

MaddSistahlyLove!
Coco:heart:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back