Black People : THIS MAN WAS A DOCTOR...

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by Isaiah, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Isaiah

Isaiah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +62
    I know we're all kind of in shock, and that his death really hasn't sunk in yet, but after you listen to this brother singing live on his new album, it will spank you something fierce how much we're gonna miss him... It'll dawn on us that this man was our era's Sam Cooke, a master in our time that dominated his craft for an entire generation...

Listening to his live album flooded my head with so many memories of my 20's and early 30's, when I was slightly "stupid" for a guy with a family, but tickets to a Lute concert always seemed to repair a lotta damage on the home front... In that sense, his phrase referring to his musical director, marcus miller, "this man is a doctor", so appropriately describes the medicinal properties of his music, and his presence as a singer and musician... Boy, did that brother have presence on stage, with that "woo-woo-woo-woo" and "yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah..." ad libs he'd do in his live songs... It drove the sisters - including the one sitting next to me - up the wall...(smile!)

In that sense, he defined the style for a generation of singers, like the great Mr. Sam Cooke, once did with his patented yodel(whoa-oh-whoah, I Know-ohhh, yooooooou send me)... I feel so honored to have heard this guy, seen this guy, in my lifetime... One day our grandchildren will ask us about that "fat guy", what made him so popular, and we'll tell them, hey, the brother was a doctor - that man was straight up, a doctor...(smile!)

http://www.luthervandross.com/index2.html

Peace!
    Isaiah

2. Akilah

Akilah Well-Known Member MEMBER

Scheduling Coordinator for large Health System
    Ratings:
    +36
    An angel has been called home...

We will be forever blessed to have had this
    awesome spirit abiding amongst us
    for as long as we did...Such a voice could only
    have belonged to an angel; Even so, my heart
    grieves knowing that he no longer exists on
    this earthly plane, but I take some comfort
    in knowing that he's now RENEWED and
    up in Heaven leading God's angelic chorus...

Rest in peace dear Luther,
    Akilah :crying:

3. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,177
    An icon, one great legend, a soulful brutha that sings from heart
    he will be missed and never forgotten i agree a pure Angel been
    called home may he Rest in sweet Peace ........No more pain !
    LUTHER VANDROSS sadly sad yet happy in joy he FREE.......

4. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    LUTHER'S MEMORIAL SERVICES...

Funeral services will be held at Frank E. Campbell Funeral Chapel, located at 1076 Madison Avenue (at 81st Street) on Wednesday and Thursday, July 6 and 7 with public viewings from 4:00pm - 9:00pm. The Memorial Service will be held Friday, July 8 at Riverside Church, located at 490 Riverside Drive, scheduled for 12:00pm."

It is raining with terrible intensity, here, today, with forecasts saying it will not stop until later this evening... I would love to attend this memorial, and report back to you guys, but...if I don't get there, I am hoping all goes well, and as planned...

Luther, see how much you mean to The Creator, bruh??? She's pouring you a huge libation from the heavens today... Looks like you were her personal physician, and took damned good care with the bedside manners...(smile!) rest in eternal peace, good brother...

Peace!
    Isaiah

5. Isaiah

Ratings:
    +62
    Soulful Sendoff For a Singer
    In New York, R& B Greats Form A Heavenly Choir for Luther Vandross

By David Segal
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Saturday, July 9, 2005; Page C01

NEW YORK, July 8

We should all go like Luther Vandross. Not at the age of 54 -- that is far too young -- but with a sendoff as affectionate and stirring as the service held Friday in his memory at the Riverside Church in Manhattan. It was a tribute, an all-star concert, a fan gathering and an old-fashioned revival, all rolled into two hours of speeches, tributes and songs.

It's not every funeral that ends with a finale, but this one did. Stevie Wonder was up there at the pulpit, along with Cissy Houston and Dionne Warwick, all of them swaying to Vandross's "Power of Love/Love Power," a tune gospel enough to come straight out of a hymnal. A crowd of hundreds swayed along with them, all joy and sniffles.

Vandross was known as one of modern R&B's great lovermen, and with some 25 million of his albums out there, the man provided the soundtrack to more candlelit seductions than the Census will ever count. He had a soothing tenor and lyrics that tended toward the nakedly emotional on hits like "Here and Now" and "Don't Want to Be a Fool." He never fully crossed over into the realm of pop, concentrating instead on the ballads and serenades that made him one of the most successful soul singers of the 1980s.

Vandross suffered a stroke two years ago, and his health continued to wane until his death July 1.

"I'd like to hear his voice when I take my last breath," said Sonia Young, part of a crowd of hundreds who lined up around the block at Riverside, in the rain. Young then pretended to take her final gulp, which she did with the trace of a smile on her lips, as though she could hear Luther in the background. "That's how I love him," she exhaled. "I'm soaked, but it's worth it."

The event started at 10:30 Friday morning with a motorcade procession from a funeral chapel at 81st and Madison. It wound its way past the Apollo Theater in Harlem and then puttered on to Riverside.

Friends and family who took turns eulogizing Vandross described an unabashed romantic, a man of deep faith; a musical perfectionist who knew exactly what sound he wanted each time he went into the studio. A lifelong friend and collaborator, Fonzi Thornton, recalled from the pulpit that as kids the two of them eagerly awaited each appearance of the Supremes on "The Ed Sullivan Show" -- there were 16, he said -- and Vandross would call on the phone just as soon as the trio finished their last song.

"He'd say something like 'Didn't Florence miss a step?' " Thornton said, referring to Supreme Florence Ballard. "Or 'Did you see the size of Diana's hair?' "

He noticed stuff like that, and he was forever fine-tuning his own style, even in the group he started in high school. But if he had singular focus, he was hardly one-dimensional. He watched professional wrestlers on television and wanted to mix it up in the ring, said a relative named Seveda Williams. And he didn't just want to wrestle, she added. "He wanted to win. " He also aspired to the world championship crown in Pac-Man, and on those nights that he couldn't sleep, Williams said, he'd wake you up and make you talk until he got drowsy.

For More, click on the website below...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/07/08/AR2005070801991.html

Peace!
    Isaiah