Black People : This Light Vs. Darkskin Thing Is Old. What's The Solution?

ChosenSeed

REGISTERED MEMBER
May 26, 2009
Contrary to what black folks throughout the diaspora may think, this light vs darkskin thing didn't start after the transatlantic slavery. It doesn't even exclusively affect black Africans today. You can find Indians and other highly melanated Asians going through the same ordeal of having inferiority complexes and preferences throughout their community regarding lighter skin.

I don't think that anyone should be ostracized for having a preference for a certain complexion when it comes to who they desire sexually. If we notice that all of a person's partners are of one shade then we need to respect their choice. I'm even more strongly against anyone that publicly extols the virtue of their preference while also speaking negatively about the complexion that they least appreciate. The people with inferiority complexes regarding their complexion need to realize that is the case and closely monitor how they approach the matter so that they add to the solution and not the problem.

Actually this 'sweep the problem under the rug' approach is even older. Typically, this is the approach taken by someone who's benefitting from the way things are at present. You rarely find a solution to a problem when you don't acknowledge the problem exists. If it extends beyond the confines of the Maafa, then we still need to address it because it IS a PROBLEM for folks to reject their own image---regardless of what it's called. When you have a problem with yourself at the core, you will cause problems for others---no way around that. What is your solution?

Contrary to what black folks throughout the diaspora may think, this light vs darkskin thing didn't start after the transatlantic slavery. It doesn't even exclusively affect black Africans today. You can find Indians and other highly melanated Asians going through the same ordeal of having inferiority complexes and preferences throughout their community regarding lighter skin.

I don't think that anyone should be ostracized for having a preference for a certain complexion when it comes to who they desire sexually. If we notice that all of a person's partners are of one shade then we need to respect their choice. I'm even more strongly against anyone that publicly extols the virtue of their preference while also speaking negatively about the complexion that they least appreciate. The people with inferiority complexes regarding their complexion need to realize that is the case and closely monitor how they approach the matter so that they add to the solution and not the problem.

It is no inferiority complex

Like Curtis Mayfield, in "We the People Who are Darker then Blue" said pardon me sister and pardon me brother!

but every group of people have been stigmatized after a certain point in human history and ostracised, discriminated and scienitifcly denegrated for,
being darker then the general populace, regardless of where on the planet

When every aspect of a persons life from, childhood to old age, is assaulted with foolish crap about something that has nothing to do with their personality or character,
who is to say other then a liscensed or degreed psychologist that such constant ,in ones face, institutional opression would cause depression anxiey and stress or not.

Actually this 'sweep the problem under the rug' approach is even older. Typically, this is the approach taken by someone who's benefitting from the way things are at present.

I assume the first sentence above is referring to the following statement
I don't think that anyone should be ostracized for having a preference for a certain complexion when it comes to who they desire sexually. If we notice that all of a person's partners are of one shade then we need to respect their choice.

It's natural for a person to have a preference. Then there may be those who do not have a preference. It becomes a problem for anyone to suggest that no one should have a preference. That just isn't a sound concept. If you think that this philosophy is "sweeping it under the rug," then you must think that a human's ability to perceive differences in complexion can ultimately be thrown under the rug? That's one thing that I'm sure can not be "swept under the rug." But I do believe that an environment can be created where respect is given if a person clearly has a preference rendering their preference a non issue in the minds of others publicly and behind closed doors. Too frequently there are those that notice that a person may have a preference in the complexion of their partners, then behind closed doors and through the secrecy of internet forums criticize that person. That's where respect should be displayed instead of an emotion upon another person's choice in this area of their life.

All too frequently black people credit the difference in complexions amongst one another the sole result of rape during enslavement as if all those who were enslaved crossed the Atlantic one shade. There are nations all throughout Africa that reflect the same variance in color as a group of randomly assembled black people that clearly excludes those who factually know that they are racially mixed. For instance the African sistas throughout the southern parts that do the Reed Dance come in the same range of colors as Black Americans. You have your light bright Tisha Cambells and your velvety chocolate Kelly Rowlands. The variance in complexion is never going away. That's a fact.

I assume the first sentence above is referring to the following statement

It's natural for a person to have a preference. Then there may be those who do not have a preference. It becomes a problem for anyone to suggest that no one should have a preference. That just isn't a sound concept. If you think that this philosophy is "sweeping it under the rug," then you must think that a human's ability to perceive differences in complexion can ultimately be thrown under the rug? That's one thing that I'm sure can not be "swept under the rug." But I do believe that an environment can be created where respect is given if a person clearly has a preference rendering their preference a non issue in the minds of others publicly and behind closed doors. Too frequently there are those that notice that a person may have a preference in the complexion of their partners, then behind closed doors and through the secrecy of internet forums criticize that person. That's where respect should be displayed instead of an emotion upon another person's choice in this area of their life.

All too frequently black people credit the difference in complexions amongst one another the sole result of rape during enslavement as if all those who were enslaved crossed the Atlantic one shade. There are nations all throughout Africa that reflect the same variance in color as a group of randomly assembled black people that clearly excludes those who factually know that they are racially mixed. For instance the African sistas throughout the southern parts that do the Reed Dance come in the same range of colors as Black Americans. You have your light bright Tisha Cambells and your velvety chocolate Kelly Rowlands. The variance in complexion is never going away. That's a fact.

her point went right over your head...lol..btw are you aware that color complex issues amongst Asians.. specifically Indians occurs becasue of Aryan invasion and British colonization?:fyi:

Donate

Support destee.com, the oldest, most respectful, online black community in the world - PayPal or CashApp

Latest profile posts

HODEE wrote on Etophil's profile.
Welcome to Destee
@Etophil
Destee wrote on SleezyBigSlim's profile.
Hi @SleezyBigSlim ... Welcome Welcome Welcome ... :flowers: ... please make yourself at home ... :swings:
Back