Black People : THIS IS YOUR NATION ON WHITE PRIVILEGE

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by truetothecause, Sep 15, 2008.

1. truetothecause

truetothecause Well-Known Member MEMBER

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    This is Your Nation on White Privilege

By Tim Wise

For those who still can’t grasp the concept of white privilege, or who are constantly looking for some easy-to-understand examples of it, perhaps this list will help.

White privilege is when you can get pregnant at seventeen like Bristol Palin and everyone is quick to insist that your life and that of your family is a personal matter, and that no one has a right to judge you or your parents, because “every family has challenges,” even as black and Latino families with similar “challenges” are regularly typified as irresponsible, pathological and arbiters of social decay.

White privilege is when you can call yourself a “******’ redneck,” like Bristol Palin’s boyfriend does, and talk about how if anyone messes with you, you'll “kick their ******' ***,” and talk about how you like to “shoot ****” for fun, and still be viewed as a responsible, all-American boy (and a great son-in-law to be) rather than a thug.

White privilege is when you can attend four different colleges in six years like Sarah Palin did (one of which you basically failed out of, then returned to after making up some coursework at a community college), and no one questions your intelligence or commitment to achievement, whereas a person of color who did this would be viewed as unfit for college, and probably someone who only got in in the first place because of affirmative action.

White privilege is when you can claim that being mayor of a town smaller than most medium-sized colleges, and then Governor of a state with about the same number of people as the lower fifth of the island of Manhattan, makes you ready to potentially be president, and people don’t all piss on themselves with laughter, while being a black U.S. Senator, two-term state Senator, and constitutional law scholar, means you’re “untested.”

read more here

M.E.
    :hearts2:

2. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    "White privilege is, in short, the problem." ~ Time Wise

Good article, sister true!

3. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Thanks SiS Zulile....I always find it interesting when white folk acknowledge TRUTH and are willing to say it out loud.
    Glad you enjoyed it.

M.E.

4. Clyde C Coger Jr

Clyde C Coger Jr going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079
    In the Spirit of Sankofa!

Abena,

For the thread starter, Sister True, big props! Tim Wise is a white guy that tells it like it is. Tim has been around for some time now, and continues to resist racism. I may post some other articles where he really brings the bacon home, so to speak.

Meanwhile, I will enjoy the robust dialogue you may have caused with posting this info. Am I okay, so far?

5. AAlicia25

AAlicia25 Well-Known Member MEMBER

Administrative Assistant
    Ratings:
    +2
    I felt that through the depths of my soul. It's true but sad, this is the kind of world we are living in, however, all please do not be discouraged, WE, as in all intelligent, compassionate and justice seeking individuals of all races, ARE WORKING ON IT at this very moment!

6. Zulile

Zulile Well-Known Member MEMBER

HR/Finance
    Ratings:
    +103
    off on a little tangent..

Yes, sister true - it is interesting, thus makes me wary :lol: I recall an article about white anti-racists and their role in maintaining the idea's within the white collective and its privileges. Take a look at the attached article of which I post an excerpt from: (incidentally, written by a white woman) ;)

The White Collective (a Blinding Glimpse of the Obvious)

I have been reflecting on a conversation I had some time ago with a white anti- racist activist. He explained to me why he felt that it was right for him to get paid to be a white anti-racist speaker and writer. He said that if he did a conventional full-time job, one where he wasn’t getting paid to fight white supremacy, he would be perpetuating the system through that job and would only get to do anti-racist work on the side. He said that the people who have read his writings and heard him speak wouldn’t have had access to what he has put out into the world.

And then he got to the issue of resources. He said that yes, it would be best if resources for fighting white supremacy went to people of color. But, he said, it is clear that the institutions that pay him to do anti-racist work would not pay people of color to do it. He said that his work paves the way for people of color to go into those spaces afterward to do anti-racist work. He said if he didn’t go in initially, these institutions would not have any events or other similar attention to white supremacy.

Looking at this through a white individual lens, his reasoning makes some sense, I guess. He is analyzing the situation in terms of what he, a supposed individual, is doing. As an individual, he can position himself primarily in opposition to white supremacy. He can position himself as someone who is fighting white supremacy, a change agent in relation to these white-dominated institutions, and an ally to people of color.

But if he looked at this through the lens of being part of a white collective, the first question would have to be: “How are my actions serving the white collective strategy to support the survival of the Euro-white system?”

Continue reading here

7. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    nice diversion...

I did go and read more of the article. Sounds like their taking as honest look at SELF as they can and/or as any of us does. In the end I wonder, how does it affect the grand scheme of things. Stated .....How does it HELP or HARM the process of Liberation of AFreekan Descendants from the vile collective of them...supreme white lunatics. All of a sudden, I experience the demon in me......
    the death of destruction is on the way...the death of destruction begins today.....:grin:

M.E.

8. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Zulile,
    :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

A robust dialogue indeed!

9. truetothecause

The~rapist
    Ratings:
    +843
    Thanks and your quite Welcomed...

Enjoy and...are you plan on participating in the "robust dialogue" or you gonna sit back like a bump on a log?
    *kissy kiss*

Those were some powerful quotes you highlighted in your response to Zulilie. I wonder what came to your mind as you read them:?:

and Yes...Your doing a BlackTasTic job thus far!
    M.E.

10. Clyde C Coger Jr

United States
    Speaker/Teacher/Author
    Home Page:
    Ratings:
    +12,079

Abena,

Thank you so much! The time is here and now for us to come together and stop all the fighting and nonsense, are my thoughts. We have all the resources to leave a legacy for our people.

As far a bump on the wall, we will see how it goes!