Black People : This Is Why Talk Is Cheap

Discussion in 'Black People Open Forum' started by SpiritualONE, Nov 15, 2006.

1. SpiritualONE

SpiritualONE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
  2. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
  3. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother SpiritualONE ... thanks for sharing.

Even no matter the threat, it was obvious that there was something wrong (mentally) with that young man.

Police are suppose to be professionals, qualified to deal with such situations. Supposedly.

They had sent the dog in, and didn't even wait for the dog to get there, before they started firing. Why bother to send the dog?

Then, after the barrage of bullets ... they went and picked up the dog, carrying it to help i suppose ... never even checking the pulse of the man they had shot ... not even checking anything. They let him just die.

As i watched the movie ... i thot of the movie Sounder ... dog barking ... Black Man begging for his life.

Really Sad.

:heart:

Destee

4. spicybrown

spicybrown Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +118
    Anyone who comes off as that standoff-ish and to authority must have mental problems. I believe his judgement was severely clouded due to the mother of his unborn child being in strife (if I caught/ heard that segment of the video correctly). Still the whole situation was preventable; another Brother who lost his life to foolishness:nono:. I don't see why LAPD is still shining the negative spotlight on themselves. Haven't they learned? I know LA streets are mean; but I'm certain they've dealt with situations far more horrendous than that.

Peace

5. SpiritualONE

SpiritualONE Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +48
    Peace and Blessings Sistah Destee,

As a former counselor and professional hostage negotiator, I've dealt with young men like this on a constant basis. In ALL of the cases like this, I was able to resolve the incident without violence. This young man had a death wish and the cops were glad to oblige him. What people don't see in all of this is the fact that next time, it maybe your child they shoot down like a dog on impulse. Cops like this are a threat to social justice and more violence on their part is not only imminent, but inevitable.

6. OmowaleX

OmowaleX Well-Known Member MEMBER

Educator
    Ratings:
    +42
    The following link has information on this shooting and other instances of police brutality.

http://www.refuseandresist.org/brutality/art.php?aid=1098

This was NOT an LAPD shooting. The incident occured in Willowbrook a small district between Compton and Watts and the officers involved were the LA County Sheriff Department. I dont think Willowbrook has its own department and Compton has a small department which at times has been disbanded or taken under the jurisdiction of the County Sheriff.

The Sheriff Dept. has its own long history of not only police brutality but also it is known for having various klan-type "organizations" within its ranks.

7. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Brother Omowale ... thank you ... i went and got the story for us ...

Deandre Brunston

Los Angeles, August 2003

Cops Shoot Man and Dog-- Rush Dog to the Hospital

Deandre Brunston, whose nickname was Trey, was a 24 year old African-American. On Sunday, August 24, 2003, a gang of LA County Sheriffs shot him to death on the front stoop of a tiny apartment in a dirt-poor section of Los Angeles called Willowbrook.

Earlier this year, Trey enrolled in a drug treatment program. He went for a couple of weeks but he couldn't hang with it and soon dropped out. The Sheriffs claimed that Trey "had an outstanding arrest warrant for narcotics." Nicole said that if the Sheriffs had arrested Trey, he would have been referred back to the treatment program and not sent to prison.

On the day he was killed, Trey was unusually angry about something. Around 7 pm, he argued with both Nicole and his girlfriend Fonda. The conflict escalated and got physical. He punched Nicole who called the Sheriff to report the assault. Ninety minutes passed and the cops had not shown up. Nicole, eight months pregnant, started feeling sick. Nicole had forgotten about calling the cops by then and called the paramedics instead. When an ambulance arrived, so did the Sheriffs. The Sheriffs went to an apartment across the way where Trey's aunt lives. Nicole's daughter told the cops that he had gone over there after leaving Nicole's place. Trey must have seen the cops coming because he jumped out of an upstairs window and ran down the street. A grip of Sheriffs with their guns drawn were close behind.

Trey ran down a driveway toward some tiny apartments down the block. Latino immigrants stayed in all of these places. Trey stopped on the porch in front of one apartment and witnesses said they thought he tried to talk to the people inside. But they spoke Spanish and Trey spoke English. All the while, more and more Sheriffs kept showing up. A helicopter overhead ordered people in Spanish to go back into their homes. The cops said that Trey "barricaded himself on the porch of a nearby home" and "told the deputies that he had a gun and threatened to kill them." But the porch in front of the tiny apartment was barren. There was no railing, no furniture, no items of any kind that could be used in a desperate attempt to shield oneself from guns of the police. Trey was surrounded and completely exposed to the cops.

Meanwhile, a Sheriff interviewed Nicole at a nearby hospital. He asked Nicole if she knew someone named Deandre Brunston. He said that Deandre had two guns and they had already taken one away from him. Nicole told the cop that there was no way that her friend had a gun. She heard cops talking on the radio about a man on a porch. She told the cop again and again, "he has no gun." Then Nicole heard a voice on the radio say a "man was down." One cop had a dog. The cops used the dog to attack Trey and then shot Trey many, many times. In this hail of police bullets, the cops also shot their own dog. The front of tiny apartment was left pockmarked with bullet holes.

Neighbors saw the cops dragging Trey down the dirt driveway. One man offered to help the cops carry him, but they told everyone to get back in the house. All of this has weighed heavily on neighbors who speak fearfully about what they had seen. Then the Sheriffs added further outrage to this cruel act of police brutality: a medivac helicopter landed nearby and the Sheriffs carried the dog to the helicopter and rushed it to a veterinarian hospital. They left Trey to lie in the dirt by that tiny apartment until 5 am the next day.

:heart:

Destee

8. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    deep stories of how they treat people and sad ending taken life .

9. Keita Kenyatta

Keita Kenyatta going above and beyond PREMIUM MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3,382
    Now those of us who were in chat when the "Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome" CD was playing...we know exactly what and why that took place.

10. emanuel goodman

emanuel goodman Well-Known Member MEMBER

social worker
    Ratings:
    +759

another sign that things have not changed in one bit. i currently work with the mentally ill population. It is very evident and clear that they could have over whelmed him and just taken him in. I want all of the brothers and sisters who truly belives that the white man has no harm in store for us to take a real look at tragedies such as this. It just breaks my heart that we have been reduced to lower than that of an animal.