Spoken Word : This is Going To Be More Than A Notion!

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by Destee, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Hello Everyone,

In my excitement to launch this new forum, I created my first "Spoken Word" peace !!! Oh My Gosh !!!! Let me tell yall, you're going to have a problem deciding which peace(s) to submit!!! I only have a few poems that I've authored and it took me some amount of time deciding which to do! I sound so cute! :lol: I think I should quit my day job! Unfortunately, I can't upload it yet because the sound file is too big. Even though the poem is a relatively short one, the sound file ended up being 2MB! This is going to pose a problem because with files that large the forum bandwidth costs are going to skyrocket if folk download these files and I'm sure they will cause we are the most talented poets on the Internet! Lawd Lawd Lawd!

I hate to say this, but I'm thinking in order to participate (upload and download) Members are going to have to pay to help offset the costs. I'm thinking $5.00 per month (paid every 6 months) is a reasonable fee. What do you think? While I'd love for everything to be free, nothing is. I'm thinking too that those Family Members that contributed prizes for the birthday party will be given their first 6 months at no cost (of course Moderators don't have to pay anything either).

I'm thinking too that since there is a fee involved (only those paying will be able to upload/download these files) I may take the banned word restriction off, as well as the minimum number of required posts and number of files that can be uploaded. Seems only reasonable.

I'll be working on getting the forum functional, where it can stand the large uploads that sound files require.

Please let me know what you think and if you'd still be interested if you had to pay $5.00/month to participate here (in this forum only). I know no one wants to pay for anything but this is going to cost us money. You'll be able to see better what I'm talking about when I upload my "Spoken Word" peace. It's a small poem (about 80 seconds) but is 2MB in file size!

Ladies ... just imagine hearing GQ, Heartbeat, Bishop, Blak, $$RICH$$, J'hiah ... all the fellas ... speaking them flows to us! And to my Brothers ... yall know da deal! Even though I didn't comment on Sunshyne's Self Gratification peace ... well ... I think yall know what I mean! Lawd Lawd Lawd!!! :)

Whew!

I'm uploading a small sound file, approximately 4 seconds ... to test. It sounds kinda scratchy but that's on the recording end of things, not the forum end of things.

I need your feedback.

Destee

2. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Another Thought

Lawwwddd I'm just think'n and think'n !!! This is going to be fun yall! Okay, I'm thinking that we may just do it for one month or so at no cost, just to get things going (once I make sure everything is working properly). That way I can see how much of an impact it's going to have and if we really enjoy ourselves with it. We can then go to the $5.00 a month thingy.

I'm really just thinking out loud now yall. Looking for your feedback.

Destee

3. N2urSoul

N2urSoul Well-Known Member MEMBER

Director, Community Employment Strategies
    Ratings:
    +1
    Destee

Queen .... I tried to download your "mictest", but it didn't work....... can you tell us what system we must have in order to listen to this or any sound files here on Destee (i.e. real player etc.)?

Also.......anotha sumthin'.......... yeah, we don't want to sleep on da fellas......howeva, we also don't want the fellas to sleep on da ladies either :lol: I would love to hear the voice behind some of the poetesses up in heah like: sistah Alyce, Sherykah, Nia Maishani, and others as well!!

Thanks Destee...

4. ladybug

ladybug Well-Known Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    i am cool with that 5 dollars is not asking alot for some good quality enlighting entertainment, people pay more than that to go to the movies when they are need even sure if it is good but with this you know you are truley getting some soul food for the soul ya feel me

5. N2urSoul

N2urSoul Well-Known Member MEMBER

Director, Community Employment Strategies
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ooops, I forgot to ask, Destee...... will it be possible to have a link to some of the sites that have free downloads of RealPlayer or whateva............so that if family members don't currently have it......they can be directed to a site that has free downloadable software so that they may upload in order to be able to hear the sound files from our spoken word forum....??

6. alyce

alyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Counselor
    Ratings:
    +85
    It's 2:15 in my morning and Lawd if I had slept anotha minute .... Destee, just wanted to report that I picked up on your test byte perfectly on my Windows Media Player. It took about 2 seconds to download.... or upload (right? download? upload? lol) and then it played over and over, until I stopped it myself. It is just at 4 seconds and lemme tell ya, your voice is crystal clear like it be's in my natural ear....YOU SOUND MAHHHH-VELOUS!

N2UrSoul, my sustuh, humble thanks for the mention. You're a precious one and you knows I wanna get the up/downlow'd on yo creative flowz. :D

There are a few in the family who are actively engaged in poetry readings, slams, etc. I am hoping they will use this forum, sharing their vibes along with their expertise for those among us who are in the valley of decision.... perhaps this will encourage the gifted, but hesitant poets to finally take heart and step to the mic.

Sherykah, sis, cain't tell you how wide I'm smiling at you. But I think you feel me. :) :) :) :) :)

And on the fee tip.... Destee, you know what it will take to operate this effectively and efficiently... every time you have made a change, it has been done in the most professional manner, with the utmost care to consider the family. I leave all that technical business stuff to you. (but I did like what you said about the folks who contributed prizes n stuff :D :D) Seriously, I'm in agreement with however it will work best. We've been benefiting from the "gratis" aspects of Destee for a year, and some of us have benefited from your expertise for even longer than that. $5.00 is a drop in the bucket, in my humble opinion.

peace, and good morning :)

a

7. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    this is all good and i can't pay ........mannnnn!

8. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Good Morning Everyone! Let me say first that only those Members that want to participate in this "Spoken Word" forum will have to pay ... not every Member. Just not sure if I made that clear.

N2urSoul ... Sis I made that little mictest sound file with the free program that comes on every Windows machine. I actually made it on my laptap which is running Windows 95. I had to click on "Start" then "Programs" then "Accessories" then "Multimedia" and there I found the program "Sound Recorder." On Windows 98 I think "Sound Recorder" can be found under "Start" then "Programs." Again, I created it with a program that comes packaged on Windows machines. You can also use "Sound Recorder" to both record and play the files. If you are running a Mac I'm not sure what to tell you. I'll find us some links to help provide more information. The "Sound Recorder" creates .wav files only and at this point that is all the forum will accept (in the way of sound files), so the RealMedia files won't play here and shouldn't be considered at this point. I'm sure some Family Members may be able to add on to this question, making suggestions and stuff. Because of the above, I'm really surprised you couldn't play it N2urSoul. Hmmmm ... we'll have to work on this.

Alyce ... I'm so glad you heard it !!! :lol: Oohhh Lawd!! We finna be mo' dangerous than da law allow! Thank you so much for your support regarding the fee. Wow! Thanks a Bunch Gurlie!

N2urSoul ... I'm so glad I have you gurl! When I'm drool'n think'n about hear'n our Brother's flow ... you slap me back to reality :lol: Yessss you are so right, we have many Sisters here that I am looking forward to hearing and I didn't mean to overlook a one of 'em! :D

LadyBug ... I'm so glad you're feeling this with us Sis! It's never easy for a site to go from completely free to charging a price for anything. The support I've received so far is awesome! You're the best, thanks Sis!

$$RICH$$ ... :nono:

Thanks Everyone!

9. Destee

Destee destee.com STAFF

United States
    Ratings:
    +9,684
    Alyce ... for the record ... uploading means that you are sending a file from your computer to another computer (the Internet). So when you make your sound file on your computer then "upload" it to the forum so we can hear it ... you are "uploading." Downloading means that you are receiving a file from another computer (the Internet) and putting it on your own computer. So when you clicked on my "mictest.wav" file, you downloaded from the server and placed it on your hard drive.

:)

10. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    aweeee! destee please !