Black Authors : This is a SERIOUS question....

Discussion in 'Short Stories - Authors - Writing' started by JustWrite, Jun 30, 2004.

1. JustWrite

JustWrite Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    How many books have you read with grammatical errors? And how do you feel when you spot the errors? Does it change your opinion of the book?

My novel is up for sale right now, meaning it's sitting on numerous bookshelves WITH ERRORS that I've recently found. Saying I'm upset is putting it lightly. Needless to say, my book has been edited!!!!! Should I trip off this or make a big deal out of it?????

2. Bluewater

Bluewater Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Praising The Lord
    Ratings:
    +44
    wow
    do you have the orginal proof read script
    before you agree to have your book printed

and yes i would be upset...i only know a little
    in this area...but it seem like you may need some
    legal aid
    Peace~N~Love
    Blue:heart:

3. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    I agree with sister blue on this one....

4. jazzymoonchild

jazzymoonchild Well-Known Member MEMBER

administrative
    Ratings:
    +9
    JustWrite,

Speaking from the vantage of someone who loves to read, I cannot stand to read a book and find errors that you know were not intentional. :jawdrop:
    It is like the nail on the chalkboard.

I would take the advice of the other two sistas who responded to this post and see what your options are. I don't know what kind of recourse you have if you signed the proof and those same errors are present. I wish you luck and success with this.

5. $$RICH$$

$$RICH$$ Lyon King Admin. STAFF

United States
    BUSINESS owner
    Ratings:
    +4,178
    yes seek it and know the truth i agree with Bluewater as well

6. JustWrite

JustWrite Member MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0
    Guess what? I've been hearing about this certain author for a long time. And, you all know I can't mention the author's name. That wouldn't be right. I'll say this, though. The author is a black female who writes erotica. Very popular woman, I might add.

Anyhoo...

I paid a visit to Barnes & Noble the other day and ran across her latest novel. Man, y'all, that book had so many **** errors, it wasn't even funny! I'm talking about errors like...

I starting unbuttoning my blouse. Correction... I started unbuttoning my blouse.

"Is said person invisible?" I asked. Correction..."Is the person invisible?" I asked.

Admitting it caused a breakdown. I grabbed a pillow and broke out into tears. Correction...Admitting it caused a breakdown, I grabbed a pillow and broke out into tears.

Your mother thought it best that he leave. Correction...Your mother thought it was best that he leave.

He was a hundred ninety years old. Correction...He was a hundred and ninety years old.

AND THE LIST GOES ON AND ON!

I didn't think any less of this author, just thought that her editor sucked! I give credit to ANYBODY that tries to accomplish something in life, 'cause it ain't easy!!!!!! Y'all know what I'm saying.

I do have one question, though. Is this grammatically correct?

She was in actuality laughing on the inside.

Me, personally, I would say, "In actuality, she was laughing on the inside." It just sounds better. Or, maybe it's just me.

If the author of the book I'm referring to happens to be reading this, please know that I STILL admire you and enjoyed your story. I just wanted to let everyone know something that they already know. WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES!

Peace.

7. MzBlkAngel

MzBlkAngel Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +219
    And your correct we all MAKE MISTAKES...IMO mistakes like this can happen and well like you said with or without the mistakes you still admire the authour...so i think you may already know the answer.....as i said before it all depends what the reader gets out the book....

Peace
    Angel