Black Poetry : This is a reply to "war on the black man"

Discussion in 'Black Poetry - Get Your Flow On!' started by givemefreedom, Nov 1, 2001.

1. givemefreedom

givemefreedom Member MEMBER

Full-time Student
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was it the white man?!?

Was it the white man who told the black man that it was ok to sell drugs to his own mother?

Was it the white man who told the black man that it was ok to be a "*****"?

Was it the white man who told the black man that it was ok to kill innocent kids and not feel bad about it?

Was it the white man who told the black man that it was ok to forsake his own childern?

Was it the white man who told the black man that it was ok to rape,rod and kill him own?

Was it the white man who told the black man that it was ok to buy a 50,000 car with the matching rims, but live in his mother's basement?

Was it the white man who told the black man that it was ok to put gold in his mouth and expect to get a "real" job?

Was it the white man who told the black man that it was ok to blame all his problems on him?

This is a reality check......

When are we as black people going to start taking responsiblity for own actions? The white man didn't tell you to pick up that gun and kill. He might have put it in your hands but he didn't make you pull the trigger. He might have brought all the drugs here but he didn't make you sell them.
    We need to stand up and say YES I DID THAT. YES I killed that little boy, Yes I sold drugs and Yes I have forsaken my childern. Because as long as we blame everything that goes wrong in our lives on them, we're alway going to remain "******" to the white man.
    I'm tried of seeing my black males standing on the corner wasteing their lives not understanding how much more there is to life. When are we going to say enough is enough and stop blame everything on the"Man"?????????? We need to get it together

2. givemefreedom

Full-time Student
    Ratings:
    +0
    All replys are welcome. I know when I was writing this that I would make someone uneasy.

But the truth hurt, now YOU have to deal with it!!!

3. msluciousb

msluciousb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed, Business Consultant
    Ratings:
    +6
    IS THAT HOW YOU SEE IT, IS THAT HOW IT IS?

Skeptical objections for there is truth in what you say
    But that was not the essence of the poem that was
    written today. Years of Opression teach agression.
    For agression = might means right! And in this country
    the one with the might is often white.
    To say take responsibility , they do each day they hear
    a brother or sister focus on their faults rather than to
    uplift the good in them! We have lost our way and it is
    we who must find it. And where do you see yourself?
    No this is an open forum, I can bear witness to that
    they might not agree with your words but they will
    allow you to speak. Sharing our thoughts as poets
    we should spend out time with loftier ideals, how
    to lift the masses, how to reach and touch and evoke
    and motivate people to the very core of their being.
    Thats what being a poet means. Yes , some of your points
    have valid issues, but that was not the question.
    For she raised valid issues as well. Read between the lines
    as I read in between yours. I know that perhaps you are
    wounded by the world view of the Black community, but
    we have produced the likes of the Wayans, the Winans, The Jacksons and many more! Don't be so quick to judge unless
    you sit behind the gate and wait! There is but one worthy to
    judge. They say don't hate the player , hate the game.
    DOn't hate the person, hate the reason that drove them to
    do what it is that is so bad to you! And then do something
    about it! :peace:

4. epiphany

epiphany Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Ratings:
    +40
    Givemefreedom

I am in agreement with Mz B, as African Americans I don't think we dispute the fact there are some serious prolems in our communities. However, we would also delude ourselves not to take issue to what is being done
    to us systematically as a people. What I say is
    we have to......fix our own house...yes, but we
    also have to become aware of what is going on around us, for example, the malicious murder
    of young black men in the streets by Police. A new law passed that allows police all over the country to racially profile all black motorist,
    who they suspect to have criminal intent. The
    eradication of Affirmative Action, that allowed
    us as African Americans to have equal right to owning property, to fair treatment of housing
    and equal opportunity to be hired or not hired by the color of our skin, but by our credentials. Although we should take responsibility for what we do......true. It would be foolish of us, not to realize that there still are certain racist factions
    intent on our destruction and some are in high
    offices creating the laws. Did you know that, the only thing that keeps us from being put back in chains is the Civil Rights law?.... Yes, the same law that freed us 400 years ago is still on the books and it is possible to be reversed. Pay attention......what is now happening around us
    is eerily a reminder of the 60's struggle, that Martin Luther King....Malcolm X, Medgar Evers died for. Back then the police were killing our men, lynching our men and we had to use separate fountains. this was only a very short 40 years ago and before that. Yes, we have some serious issues to address in our
    communities and attitudes, but we also have to be aware, that we are not responsible for our treatment or do we deserve it. We are human beings in this world, just like other races. As
    long as I have breath, I will not mistreat anyone...I do what I can to change our young people's attitudes, but I have my eyes opened and aware what is being done to us behind the
    scenes and sometimes even publically. Fyi,
    for those who want to learn what is being done to us systematicly and psychologically read the
    Willie Lynch speech at www.****************** and I'm sure you will be amazed, cause the effect still goes on today.

Epiphany

5. cocobutterskyn

cocobutterskyn Well-Known Member MEMBER

United States
    Spreading Joy.... need some?
    Ratings:
    +221
    Givemefreedom,

Is that how you interpreted my poem?

Madd Sistahly Love
    CCBSKYN

6. givemefreedom

Full-time Student
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand where ever one is coming from, I was just saying that at some point in ours lives we need to stand up for our own actions. I know that there are black people out there thats doing everything right. But at the same time we don't blame the white man for the good things that happens in our lives, but we're quick to blame them for the bad.
    For the most part I enjoy my black men all that they have done and will do, but it that 48% that gives all black men a bad name. That was the whole point of my poem. I'm so sorry if I made anyone uneasy cause that wasn't what I was tring to do. I was tring to make people look at things from another view. once again I'm sorry....

7. msluciousb

msluciousb Well-Known Member MEMBER

Self Employed, Business Consultant
    Ratings:
    +6
    ONE THING I KNOW!

BE NOT DISCOURAGED AND DO NOT INHIBIT YO FLOW
    DESTEE IS A PLACE WHERE YOU CAN SPEAK WHAT YOU
    FEEL YA KNOW! IF IT BE MASS ACCEPTANCE , THEN THAT
    IS AN ELUSIVE FEAT. BUT LIFE ON DESTEE IS JUST TOO
    SWEET. NO APOLOGY NEEDED, THEY TOLD ME ONCE ALSO
    SO DON'T GO CHANGING YO VIBE SCRIBE BECAUSE
    SOME WILL ALWAYS BE OFFENDED YA KNOW!
    GET YA FLOW ON!
    "I MIGHT NOT AGREE WITH WHAT YOU SAY, BUT I DEFEND
    TO THE DEATH , YOUR RIGHT TO SAY IT'! UNKNOWN TO ME
    BUT IT HOLDS TRUE, SOME ONE SAID IT, BELIEVE IT!
    PEACE AND PROSPERITY AND BLESSINGS ON YA HOUSE!:peace:

8. Joyce

Joyce Well-Known Member MEMBER

people
    Ratings:
    +56
    You don't have to apologize

I don't believe no one is angry at you. It just that this is such a frustrating situation in America with no ez solutions. There are valid points on both sides of this friendly discussion. I agree with Epiphany when she says we need to "fix" our own house. Personally, I believe that if we as a people...a race, would humble ourselves before God and stop our "self-destructing" tactics...we would be stronger as a people in effectively warring against the injustices we suffer here in America. If we don't stop the crumbling from within...we won't be able to fight it from without.

I don't ever remember seeing your name before...welcome to the forum.
    :)

9. Da Street So'ja

Da Street So'ja Banned MEMBER

thrivin' spiritually/physically/emotionally/financ
    Ratings:
    +42
    you are so confused

think about the history

drugs don't make it in the hood without the "man's" OK

yeah we do alot of destruction to our own by condition

our division comes from slavery where they separated families and pitted each african against each other that still holds true today

maybe the system doesn't affect you but i would hate to see the day you hit that ceiling and why are you called "givemefreedom" ?

oxymoron perhaps

we have to do what we have to do to survive, we talking basic survival here

you are confused

the things that we go through have been in place for hundreds of years
    and that's we will never be together because of people who are hypnotized
    and refuse to understand this environment

yeah i'm free

free to be dissed
    free to be financially lynched
    free to be overlooked for the job i was supposed to get

if i try to live in a white neighborhood they will burn my house down
    but when the live in the hood nobody bothers them

but you don't understand why i'm angry

10. givemefreedom

Full-time Student
    Ratings:
    +0
    Da Street so'ja

I'm far from being confused I was just stating what I see everyday where I live. I live in the heart of Chicago. I have seen so many different things that we have caused on ourselves. Me confused NO.
    On the other hand you are questions my name. Givemefreedom means to me. Give me the freedom to choose my own life, the freedom to be free from self and not to be a slave of society. Thats what me name means to me. I don't know what it ment to you but thats what it means to me.
    I don't understand why I'm I defending myself and the way I feel????? I understand that we need to uplift our people but, at the same time we need to comdemn them for their worng doing also
    Me,,, confused not by a long shot
    Is it alright that we agree to disagree. Is it alright that i look at things from a different view then you, and not be called confused????? Some of the thing that we're said in "war on black men" I agree with but now that side was said, I thought that I'll it give another view.

Replys a welcomed